PDA

View Full Version : What to clean an ALUMA trailer with??

meets1
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I have a two wheel ALUMA trailer with ramp. 6 x 10 I think. I want to shine it up - at least the sides, fenders etc. The decking I really don't care. Any products that you guys use? Any home remmedies to use? I was at our local parts store today and all they had was a polish that truckers use on there fuel tanks and stacks. I am not polishing - just want to clean it up a bit.

Knight511
03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
If soap and water doesn't "clean it up a bit" than what you want IS a polish. Aluminum "stains" pretty easily and anything like wax (car wax) will make it hazy and dull...

R & R Yard Designs
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Wheel acid. But try one spot first. You have to water it down though.
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Soap and water is fine but its just dull. The polish looks like WORK and dirty. I have seen truck drivers do this in on there tanks with buffers and everything only to go on the road the next day and get everything dirty. I will check out the polish though - its not alot of surface area.

gammon landscaping
03-10-2011, 04:15 AM
talk to a hvac guy that have some acid that they clean the aluminum fins in heat pumps with. it is a bit costy but it does make them shine with out rubbing

scagwildcat
03-10-2011, 07:47 AM
i use mothers aluminum wheel polish, but if you want the shine to last you really need to clear coat it after, it will only last a little while, however, the more you clean it, the less time it will take you in the future, the first time, make sure you have one day set aside for it!

scagwildcat
03-10-2011, 07:52 AM
i use mothers aluminum wheel polish, but if you want the shine to last you really need to clear coat it after, it will only last a little while, however, the more you clean it, the less time it will take you in the future, the first time, make sure you have one day set aside for it!

one other thing i forgot to mention, i used to be a autobody tech, and found that if you go to a paint supply store you can buy white scotchbright pads they will help get the real heavy stuff off, they are the least course ones, then the gray, and the red ones are really course...in the autobody world they are used to prep surfaces for paint so if you use one thats too course it will leave fine scratches, but if you clearcoat it they will not be noticable... hope this helps you....

Knight511
03-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Scag is right... but it may be more for the off season than right now, but it could be worth your time to have the trailer clear coated after being thoroughly cleaned. Remember that many degreasers and such will harm aluminum so don't let any sit for too long.

Yes polishing will be work, but it won't etch the surface like acids can.... if it were me, I would wait until I could have the time to clear coat it and then do a really nice job on it.

Turf Commando
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I'd use wheel cleaner for aluminum, followed by aluminum polish meguiars hot rims works well...

bmc1025
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
If you clear coat it, it will eventually yellow and crack if it sits in the sun all day. Then you will have an even harder time getting it to look good.

Acid washes will take a ton of time off of the polishing. Truck and trailer supply places have the acid and so do many boat supply places.(for cleaning pontoon boats) You may even try a truck wash, it may be cheaper for them to acid wash it for you than buying the materials yourself.

bmc1025
03-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I forgot to add that Eagle One Mag wheel cleaner is a perfect pre diluted acid wash for aluminum. Although it may be more expensive than the bulk.