PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion tonite...taking out large arbs/yews

GarPA
09-17-2002, 08:30 PM
This probably should be in the landscape forum but frankly getting responses there is like pulling wisdom teeth. Tomorrow morning I have to take out 3 large arbs...guessing theyare 15 years old...about 15 ft high..4 ft wide...given the rock hard soil we have here I asked customer to soak the roots tonite which they gladly agreed to do since I'm charging them time and materials...heres my plan..chain saw about half the tree, leave a few feet of trunk, dig dirt away from base, do a little prying/spading, tie a heavy duty tow strap around the roots and pull with truck SLOWLY (have to be aware of the sidewalk obviously and not tearing it out also)...I'm not suggesting this will work but I thought I would give it a try...carefully...your opinion would be appreciated..thanks

walker-talker
09-17-2002, 08:44 PM
After you dig the dirt away from the base, why not just take the saw and cut below the soil line?

MATT

KenH
09-17-2002, 09:23 PM
Instead of putting the strap around the roots, put is further up the trunk for more leverage and slowly rock the tree back and forth and it will break loose.

SJR Lawncare
09-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Are you replacing the plants, do you need to completely remone them?? GOOD LUCK !

jsaunders
09-17-2002, 10:24 PM
If possible I always try to pull out with the truck first. Love my powerstroke:D It saves so much time- I use a nylon tow strap and usually don't have to put it in 4wd- only if the truck is on the lawn and I don't want to spin the tires. Digging usually isn't required. You may want to charge more if you use the truck- very fast and no sweating.

GarPA
09-18-2002, 06:40 AM
thanks guys...well I'm on my way here in a few minutes...I will post back later today in case this helps anyone else out......I have a feeling I will be swearing or smiling when I post here later today...lol

GarPA
09-18-2002, 02:57 PM
thanks thanks thanks for you guys who told me to use the truck...I estimated the job at 6 hrs and it took 7..not bad given these trees were 20 plus years old...chain sawed off the top half, put the nylon tow strap on and gently F150'd them out of the ground...it was soooo ez.....of course as always, clean up takes so much longer than we often think.....i still almost always underestimate clean up time....you new guys here reading this need to remember this...it has been said many time by the more experienced guys here on this site...thanks again for the advice...without using the truck i could have been there for way too many hours