PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another backpack blower thread

blsnelling
03-09-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm researching, trying to find what I believe to be the best backpack blower on the market today. First of all, I'm only interested in a 2-stroke engine. So please don't recommend the BR600 or EBZ8520. I'm very aware they're good blowers, but that's not what I'm looking for. I believe I've narrowed it down to three models.

Shindaiwa EB802
This unit is in it's 3rd year of production and is a bullet proof model. It's performance is near the top of the pack. Even then, it's said to be undertuned from the factory with an easily modded muffler, that gets it closer to it's advertised maximum power. I've seen that an adjustable carb is available, but have not confirmed that or found a PN for it.

Redmax EBZ8050
The EBZ8001 has been reguarded by many to be the best blower. Many say that the 8050 is not as strong. However, comparing the IPLs shows every part in the engine, exhaust, carb, ignition, blower housing, and impeller to all be the same. Someone mentioned that the 8001 had an easily modded muffler that the 8050 does not. I'm still trying to sort through this. If it's simply a few mods to make it what the 8001 was, then I have no problem with that.

Echo PB-770
Said by many to be the strongest blower on the market, but also said by some to have exaggerated specs, and be no stronger than the competition. It's also a newer, less proven model.

ncknaklawns
03-09-2011, 11:57 PM
BR550, BR600, Br600 Magnum

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 12:09 AM

Those are not an option. I am only considering 2-stroke blowers.

944own
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Most power Redmax, Lightest(most comfortable) Stihl

TheOctagon
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Hi Brad, What you gonna do Mod a blower now???? maybe cram a 7900 engine in one haha.

ncknaklawns
03-10-2011, 12:21 AM
They're 50:1

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Hi Brad, What you gonna do Mod a blower now???? maybe cram a 7900 engine in one haha.

I think I might be able to do something with a 79cc Redmax engine:)

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
They're 50:1

I understand that, and am not saying they're not good blowers. I simply want the simplicity of a 2-stroke. I port saws and know my way around them a lot better.

kilgoja
03-10-2011, 12:34 AM
personally i don't like backpack blowers...i worked for a guy before and we used them...nothing worse than the feeling of putting that thing on when it's 100 degrees outside lol....handheld all the way for me...works just as good

PLS-Tx
03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
BR600, we have 4 and they have been running strong for several years.

BINKY1902
03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I say change your mind about the 4-mix and get the BR600 Magnum...kidding. That's what I use though and it's awesome.

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Seriously guys, I'm only interested on input on 2-stroke models. I don't mean to be rude, but I've already made that decision. Discussing the BR600 will not help me at all.

Agape
03-10-2011, 02:06 AM
I think you should look at the br 550 or 600 magnum.

944own
03-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Have you checked out the br600 magnum yet. LOL

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 02:19 AM
I give up, lol. You guys win:drinkup:

Stillwater
03-10-2011, 02:45 AM
I give up, lol. You guys win:drinkup:

This is funny stuff... but seriously the br600mag is one of the finest blowers available on this planet why are you repelled

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 03:04 AM
I just want a simple 2-stroke motor. I'm a hotrodder. I port chainsaws, and you just never know, I might want to boost the power of my new blower a little:) I own more than 20 Stihl chainsaws, so it's certainly not a brand issue. Stihl is my favorite. But I'm not a brand snob. I'll call the best the best reguardless of the brand.

BINKY1902
03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Here's the best...

JB1
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM
there is no best, its only a figment of your imagination.

SNAPPER MAN
03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Get the Shindaiwa 802. I had two last year and loved them until they were stolen. The power is awesome and it is a very comfortable unit to use. Never had a single problem but I only had them for 4 months....
Posted via Mobile Device

BINKY1902
03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Seriously though there is a new dealer in area that carries Redmax, and since I've heard a lot of great things about them I am going to try to stop by and try out a trimmer and the biggest backpack. I love my BR600 but I don't really like my Stihl 4-mix trimmer. The trimmer weight and vibration is not what I like, so if I like the Redmax trimmer I may switch brands, that is if I like the Redmax blower as well as I do my BR600.

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I bought the Shindaiwa EB802. Here's my final purchasing logic.

The Redmax 8050 is getting mixed reviews, saying it's not as strong as it's predecessor, the 8001. This is coming from guys that bought both models at the same time, so was not a break-in issue. I can't explain it, but there are a lot of reports suggesting it's not as strong. It might be as simple as a muffler change, but I don't know. They're also said to be cold-blooded.

The Echo is new and getting mixed to reviews. Some say it's stronger, some say it's no stronger than the BR600. I also didn't feel it's build quality was up with that of the Shindaiwa.

The Shindaiwa EB802 is in it's 3rd year of productions and I don't think I read one bad review about it. It's a bullet proof model. It's specs are higher than that of the BR600, and it's a simple engine. It also has the largest engine at 79cc. Is that needed? Maybe not, but it sure doesn't hurt. I also felt the build quality was superior to that of the Echo. And finally, my dealer gave me a great cash deal on it, about $40 less than I could get the Redmax for. Not a deal maker, but nice none the less.

Brand new out of the box, it popped on the 3rd pull, and started on the next. It wasn't cold blooded in the least. Throttle response is great, even on a brand new engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uwSWWemAI&tracker=False

Turf Dawg
03-10-2011, 07:54 PM
The one you bought would have been a close second choice of mine but I will put up my Echo 770 against anything out there. I hate Echo trimmers though.

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
I've read that there's an adjustable carb for this blower. Anyone know which one?

TheOctagon
03-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Brad you have way too much fun with your toys haha. What are your plans for the blower? Did ya get it to get rid of all those wood chips er what? Too bad you dont like porting 4 strokes.... I could get a dolmar 4 stroke backpack blower your way.

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Brad you have way too much fun with your toys haha. What are your plans for the blower? Did ya get it to get rid of all those wood chips er what? Too bad you dont like porting 4 strokes.... I could get a dolmar 4 stroke backpack blower your way.

I would definately like to find an adjustable carb for it. I don't know if I'll as far as porting it or not.

blsnelling
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
I just checked, and the factory carb is a Walbro WYK315.

blsnelling
03-11-2011, 01:24 AM
The stock carb has a 13.5mm venturi. This WYK-33-1 is identical, also with a 13.5mm venturi, only it has the H and L needles. It's only $32 + shipping. LINK (http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=238&category_id=16&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=56)

http://photo.blsnelling.com/Chainsaws/Shindaiwa-EB802-Backpack/Carb/1212606385_79hYM-M.jpg

Alan0354
03-11-2011, 02:41 AM
If I were to buy a blower now, it would be EB802. Been 3 years and never read any complain yet. I believe it is quite a popular blower and many people have it. So I think it is very safe to buy it by now. Too bad when I bought my Maruyama BL8100 almost 3 years ago, it was too new to consider and they were not selling in Calif yet.

StihlMechanic
03-11-2011, 03:10 AM
My BR600 is ported and I shaved the head 0.05.

Richard Martin
03-11-2011, 07:03 AM
I just want a simple 2-stroke motor. I'm a hotrodder. I port chainsaws, and you

It's easier to pump up the power on a Stihl 4 Mix. The "cam" can be reground (it's plastic but can be reground with care) and they respond to all of the same porting tricks as their big brothers. Just regrind the base circle a little lower and fab up a pair of longer pushrods. Just make sure you check the P-T-V clearence.

You can make a new thread asking about the best purely 2 stroke blower.... :)

blsnelling
03-11-2011, 08:06 AM
My BR600 is ported and I shaved the head 0.05.

That's cool. I just might tear into mine this morning.

blsnelling
03-11-2011, 08:08 AM
It's easier to pump up the power on a Stihl 4 Mix. The "cam" can be reground (it's plastic but can be reground with care) and they respond to all of the same porting tricks as their big brothers. Just regrind the base circle a little lower and fab up a pair of longer pushrods. Just make sure you check the P-T-V clearence.

You can make a new thread asking about the best purely 2 stroke blower.... :)

It would be much quicker and easier for me to port a 2-stroke. I've ported lots of chainsaws and could have this thing done in just a few hours. I'm not looking to change port timing on it, just widen the ports and let it breathe a little better. A little goes a long ways.

blsnelling
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
It's ported now, and back together. The cylinder and overall build quality is top notch. I didn't see one thing that was sub-standard. It has a full skirt piston, two thin rings, and removeable transfer covers. Squish is still greater than .030" without the base gasket. It's cooling off now for a compression test. It starts and runs great. Throttle response is great. I picked up an additional 300 RPMs over just muffler modded. That's an increase of 430 RPMs over stock. I really don't see that being an issue on the impeller. I've got an adjustable carb on order, but this one still seems to be giving it plenty of fuel. I slowly tweaked the choke and it never picked up RPMs, then started slowing down. Plug color looks fine too. I gave it the brick test, and it blew it 10' this time. It rips the grass right out of the wet lawn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCojXWafUU

TheOctagon
03-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Now that is just BadA$$ Now you need someone with some solidworks experience to make you a new impeller for that thing. See if you can get more aggressive with it. She sounds much healthier and yet with mods it seems to run smoother as well. Nice Job!

blsnelling
03-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Port work almost always improves the useability of the chainsaws I normally port. Not only is power increased, but throttle response improves as well. Compression is already over 160 PSI on this one.

Chevy z71
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Stihl br380

mictrik
03-12-2011, 07:29 AM

OK, enough with the Stihl... i have many Stihl products and I love their chainsaws, some of their older 2 cycle gear is among the best tools ever produced. However, the BR600 though a very good blower with an innovative design is not on a par with the three blowers in this poll. All three of these blowers are of 2 cycle design where as the BR600 is a 4 cycle. I am above 90% sure that these three blowers will prove to be more reliable in the Long run. That is they will run longer keeping their power up. I have some reservation about the Redmax 8001, only because some people have claimed that they need to rebuild them often and that they tend to lose power after a season or two. I do not know this first hand, and to be honest I am a bit skeptical to that regard.

These three blowers are all a bit more powerful than the Br600 in my experience. The BR600 is really compact and light but it is not as powerful as these blowers. Close enough for many though.

I have said this a few years ago and I will say once more, two cycle technology will be making a comeback!! End of the day without the issue of emissions a 2 cycle engine provides more power per displacement than a 4 cycle. All materials being equal means taht a 2 cycle has a better power to weight ratio making it the design of choice for hand held equipment. Stihl has done a great job at making a light weight blower with god power using a 4 cycle design. Now once a 2 cycle design is produced that will meat the emissions issues (it exists) you will see new materials and lighter weight designs in 2 cycle technology that may replace the 4 cycle. I believe this will happen...

blsnelling
03-12-2011, 08:00 AM
I bet you will see the BR600 replaced with a stratofied 2-stroke within the next couple of years.

justanotherlawnguy
03-12-2011, 11:55 PM
personally i don't like backpack blowers...i worked for a guy before and we used them...nothing worse than the feeling of putting that thing on when it's 100 degrees outside lol....handheld all the way for me...works just as good

Counterproductive! It's just as hot in Florida as anywhere in the summer. Not strapping one on because if the heat is silly. The time savings over handhelds is phenomenal! Even the big backpacks over small ones makes a huge difference. I saw a guy recently with a handheld in both hands and I just thought to myself "what's the point?

Back to original post, get the echo, you will love it!!! Period
Posted via Mobile Device

chuacro
03-13-2011, 01:12 AM
I got the eb802 today. I looked at 600 mag ,echo 770 and the redmax 8050. I just went with the comments on this site for a good machine.

gocutthegrass
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
While I always enjoyed my Echo and Redmax blowers, I have been running only Kawasaki KRB750's for four years, and I can't praise them enough. Plenty of power. I never find myself doing a cleanup and wishing the blower had more power. Plus, my first one from 2007 has a ridiculous amount of hours on it, and I can still just pull the cord and go every time. The 750's are very reliable, and plenty powerful blowers.

blsnelling
03-14-2011, 04:49 PM
The new adjustable carb just came in. It is indeed identical to the original in every way, except it's fully adjustable. With the original carb it was turning 7200 RPMs. With the new carb, the RPMs max out at 7400 and I tuned it to 7300. I removed the air filter and it maxes out at 7500, and tuned it to 7400. I'm not going to put a v-stack and K&N filter on this thing for 100 RPMs. I put the air filter back on and retuned to 7300 RPMs.

This means that the original carb is more than sufficient for the muffler mod, or porting as well. It's actually 100 RPMs richer than necessary, even with porting. I just like knowing that I can always adjust the carb as needed.

mictrik
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
The new adjustable carb just came in. It is indeed identical to the original in every way, except it's fully adjustable. With the original carb it was turning 7200 RPMs. With the new carb, the RPMs max out at 7400 and I tuned it to 7300. I removed the air filter and it maxes out at 7500, and tuned it to 7400. I'm not going to put a v-stack and K&N filter on this thing for 100 RPMs. I put the air filter back on and retuned to 7300 RPMs.

This means that the original carb is more than sufficient for the muffler mod, or porting as well. It's actually 100 RPMs richer than necessary, even with porting. I just like knowing that I can always adjust the carb as needed.

Well I have a few questions regarding your modifications.

1) On the muffler, did you remove the internal tail pipe, arrestor screen and the cover? Did you open up or otherwise modify the muffler in any other way?

2) How much did you open up the ports and did you open up all of the ports?

3) I am considering purchasing the adjustable carb myself, Do you think it will offer a performance gain without porting? That is along with a muffler mod.

Kartanimal29
03-14-2011, 11:58 PM

This is for the 770 ?

horsequick
03-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Tanaka all the way for me. My friend is on his second redmax blower while the tanaka is still running strong.

dKoester
03-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Amen! Amen! and Amen!

Hughes Landscaping
03-15-2011, 12:35 AM
I have both the Stihl 600 Magnum and the Redmax EBZ8050. As far as power goes, there is no comparison. The Redmax could blow a freakin' building down. The only draw back with the 8050 is the weight. That sucker is HEAVY! The Stihl is light and comfortable, but if you are looking for a blower that will move some leaves in a hurry, I highly recommend the EBZ8050.

GordonCBP
03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I posted about one of these earlier today:

http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TBL-7800R

http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/pdf/TBL_7800R_Field_Test.pdf

7YR RESIDENTIAL WARRANTY!!!

GrassesGuy
03-17-2011, 07:46 PM

I agree but on huge jobs backpacks a must, but I limit using them when I can.