PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda seed

unkownfl
03-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Where in CFL do I get Bermuda seed. I'm looking for something to cover a sandy yard. Customer has about 5000k of dirt/weeds he wants to over seed so it's not a dust storm in his yard but doesn't want to break the bank for sod. He knows he will have to stay off it for weeks and water multiple times a day for a few weeks. Anything else I should do besides just throw seed down and pray???

CALandscapes
03-10-2011, 12:45 AM
You should be able to buy from a local landscape supply store (i.e. John Deere Landscapes or Ewing) or farm supply store. Have you ever considered hydroseeding? You'd have to sub it out but the end result would be far superior to that of simply seeding...

unkownfl
03-10-2011, 01:34 AM
I think I'm going to go with 3lbs per 1000 of JDL bermuda hulled raked in and watered three times daily once heavy two very light coats of irrigation during the day. I figure 25lbs over 8000 square ft. Does this sound ok?

h2oskier
03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I think I'm going to go with 3lbs per 1000 of JDL bermuda hulled raked in and watered three times daily once heavy two very light coats of irrigation during the day. I figure 25lbs over 8000 square ft. Does this sound ok?

Most bermuda seed will specify on the packaging to seed at the rate of between 2 to a max of 5 lb. per 1000 sq. ft. Hope this helps answer your question.:waving:

Landscape Poet
03-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Unknown, I am not sure the carry it, but I would assume they would, but try sunniland fert up in sanford, I know when I was checking intro bahia seed for a customer, they were the cheapest by far.
Posted via Mobile Device

abrightday
03-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Unknown, I am not sure the carry it, but I would assume they would, but try sunniland fert up in sanford, I know when I was checking intro bahia seed for a customer, they were the cheapest by far.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, Sunnyland has the seed at much better pricing than John Deere:waving:
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Johnagain
03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
BWI in Zellwood is the best place to get seed. They are the wholesale dealer that supplies most of the nurseries. I get all my seed from them. The argentine bahia is half the price of JDL because that's where JDL buys it from. Last year I paid about $75.00 for a 50lb bag. I haven't check on prices this year because it is far to early to plant grass seed.

www.bwicompanies.com

abrightday
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
BWI in Zellwood is the best place to get seed. They are the wholesale dealer that supplies most of the nurseries. I get all my seed from them. The argentine bahia is half the price of JDL because that's where JDL buys it from. Last year I paid about $75.00 for a 50lb bag. I haven't check on prices this year because it is far to early to plant grass seed.

www.bwicompanies.com

Went on their site and they don't list bahia or bermuda grasses,,

bugsNbows
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Walter always does his homework.

williams lcm
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Home Depot carries it. Just picked up a large bag last week.

Ric
03-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Where in CFL do I get Bermuda seed. I'm looking for something to cover a sandy yard. Customer has about 5000k of dirt/weeds he wants to over seed so it's not a dust storm in his yard but doesn't want to break the bank for sod. He knows he will have to stay off it for weeks and water multiple times a day for a few weeks. Anything else I should do besides just throw seed down and pray???

Unknown

5,000K is like 115 acres that you want to over seed. I would suggest adding Brown Top Millet and maybe some Pensacola Bahia to the Bermuda to really make a good erosion control mix. The Brown top will germinate first and help shade and hold water for the Bermuda and Bahia.

FYI I have a herd seed Spreader on a Toro MultiPro and can seed the 115 acres in one day. I 'll charge you approx 5 grand and supply all the seed. That is $ 43.78 an acre depending on which seed blend you pick. I don't think you can even buy the seed for that price. I know the right sources for seed from experience and I am very willing to let you make a nice margin above my price. BTW on 115 acre without irrigation there is no way to give any Guarantee

Johnagain
03-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I had to log into the site to get info. They have 13 different Bermuda options. I didn't post prices because they told me in the past not to rely on the website for prices. In store prices always seem to be cheaper.

Item #: FS20
Item Title: BERMUDAGRASS
Item Name: BERMUDA GRASS HULLED 50 LB
Sub-Title: HULLED
Description: Makes a good growth on sand soils, but will not grow in shaded areas or groves. Dormant in winter, but recovers quickly in warm weather. A dependable, permanent grass for lawns, golf courses and athletic fields. Hulled germinates quicker than unhulled. The coated hulled bermudagrass seed has a lime coating. Hulled: Pasture: 10 lbs. per acre; Lawns, etc., 3 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. Plant anytime (preferably February-July).
Add'l Desc.:
Manufacturer: VALLEY SEED CO
Avail. Qty: 389

Ric
03-11-2011, 12:21 AM
I had to log into the site to get info. They have 13 different Bermuda options. I didn't post prices because they told me in the past not to rely on the website for prices. In store prices always seem to be cheaper.

Item #: FS20
Item Title: BERMUDAGRASS
Item Name: BERMUDA GRASS HULLED 50 LB
Sub-Title: HULLED
Description: Makes a good growth on sand soils, but will not grow in shaded areas or groves. Dormant in winter, but recovers quickly in warm weather. A dependable, permanent grass for lawns, golf courses and athletic fields. Hulled germinates quicker than unhulled. The coated hulled bermudagrass seed has a lime coating. Hulled: Pasture: 10 lbs. per acre; Lawns, etc., 3 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. Plant anytime (preferably February-July).
Add'l Desc.:
Manufacturer: VALLEY SEED CO
Avail. Qty: 389

John

Recommended pasture Seeding with Common Bermuda is 10 to 15 pounds per acre. At $ 3.00 a pound Or $ 30.00 to $ 45.00 seed cost Per acre. My offer to do the job for $ 43.78 per acre or 5 grand even should be looking real good about now.

Also I would like to add the Feb to July planting recommendation might be not to actuate. Do a search here on LS to find where ground temperature has been discussed with the Germination of Bermuda. Bermuda seed will lay dormant until the Ground Temperature increase to the high 70's before germinating. For that reason Seeding in Feb will still take as long to Germinate as Seeding in April or May.

Custom blending of Seed for the Time of year and conditions present is a more professional approach to this project. If you wait until Rainy season, you may find a health patch of THICK new grass in all your drainage ditches and retention areas but none where you wanted it.

unkownfl
03-11-2011, 09:48 PM
5000 square feet. 5k sorry. I wish it was 115 acres...

Ric
03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
5000 square feet. 5k sorry. I wish it was 115 acres...

Unknowning

Go to Wally World and buy a $ 7.00 bag of Quick Ground Cover Grass seed. It will have some Fescue and Rye as well as Bermuda. The Fescue and Rye might Germinate this late depending on your ground temperature but will die out about the time the Bermuda starts. Irrigation is key and to top dress with Peat would really make for a successful Grow in.

unkownfl
03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Unknowning

Go to Wally World and buy a $ 7.00 bag of Quick Ground Cover Grass seed. It will have some Fescue and Rye as well as Bermuda. The Fescue and Rye might Germinate this late depending on your ground temperature but will die out about the time the Bermuda starts. Irrigation is key and to top dress with Peat would really make for a successful Grow in.

Would I have to rake off the Peat Moss after the grass comes in? Sorry I never put down seed before but I've heard of laying something on top after seeding like hay is what we used up in Canada.

Ric
03-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Would I have to rake off the Peat Moss after the grass comes in? Sorry I never put down seed before but I've heard of laying something on top after seeding like hay is what we used up in Canada.

Now I understand all the confusion. You are CANADIAN. I bet you are from Newfoundland???.

unkownfl
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Now I understand all the confusion. You are CANADIAN. I bet you are from Newfoundland???.

Nova Scotia Close enough...

bug-guy
04-03-2011, 01:23 AM
argentine bahia seed doubled in price due to the last 2 bad winters. demand will out do the supply, buy early