PDA

View Full Version : Sod guys! Look here!!!

zzach001
03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Any sod experts can you please give me advice on the cheapest way of unloading a semi full of sod? usually 400 or 500 sq ft of floratam or bahia. I am looking to truck up my own sod from south florida and my only problem is when It gets to my job in central florida I have no way to unload it. I wouldnt mind spending the money on the machine I just cant afford something to pricey right now. I know there are some cheap piggy backs, moffetts and bobcat out there does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks a ton. I have about 40,000 sq ft lines up and am sick of paying high dollar from local sod places.
Thanks

unkownfl
03-10-2011, 02:43 AM
sunbelt rentals

justanotherlawnguy
03-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Your buying truckloads of sod with no way to unload it once it gets to your place! That's genius..
You need to have a logistics brain storming session and figure out how to make it work. I tried a few years ago, but it's just too expensive to truck up your own sod.

Best bet is to see if a local nursery will cut you a deal if you buy a whole truckload.

What are you selling sod jobs at $0.60/sf?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 09:51 AM
He has been posting all over trying to get an answer. Equipment cost is why more guys don't truck in their own sod.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
skidsteer with a set of forks? Sunbelt or any of the other equipment rental places

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 01:05 PM
skidsteer with a set of forks? Sunbelt or any of the other equipment rental places

And how do you get it on and off a semi trailer?
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
didn't say if it was a enclosed or open flatbed, around here there on "open" flat beds so you pull up to the side of the trailer and lift spin move then drop it in place.

if its a closed semi trailer hook a gd chain or tow strap around center support of pallet and drag it back to the opening so that you can get to it, or get a freakn pallet jack.

had to unload 2 semi full of double stacked pumpkin boxes on pallets this way.

LoweJ82
03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
or just hire a bunch of wetbacks to hump it out of the semi and onto new pallets.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Your assuming this is being delivered to one location. I am calling Shenanagans! It sounds like 40k of sod is out of your league. You priced it too low and now you have to try not to lose your butt.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
"usually 400 or 500 sq ft of floratam or bahia" 1 pallet to a truckload is a pretty big jump I agree.

in response to multiple locations as my lil girl might say..... duh truck, trailer & skidsteer are moved easy enough.

been a few days, had multiple reply's with none from OP......... I think I may jump on the he's full of it as well board.

Even Cut Lawn Care
03-13-2011, 01:38 PM
That's one pallet. Stack it off by hand. Some people really shouldn't be in business for themselves!
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM
That's one pallet. Stack it off by hand. Some people really shouldn't be in business for themselves!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reread the post the OP stated 40,000 sq ft. That is 80 standard pallets of sod. You unload that by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Uh yea, who doesn't?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Uh yea, who doesn't?
Posted via Mobile Device

Off the semi? By hand? Don't think so. I pay for delivery. Pablo (real name) drops down the loader from the back of the purpose built sod trailer. Unloads the pallet and drops it right where I want so I don't take more than a few steps to lay it. Pablo hooks the loader back up, waves and leaves in minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I was being sarcastic lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 03:04 PM
I was being sarcastic lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I know superstar. I can picture you trying though. Flinging sod like a frisbee. Like I said the guy probably bid .25 a foot, got it and is now screwed on how to actually do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Even Cut Lawn Care
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=Patriot Services;3936578]Reread the post the OP stated 40,000 sq ft. That is 80 standard pallets of sod. You unload that by hand.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

YOU read it, he says 400-500 sq ft. I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. Prolly a lot like newjerseylandscaping kid. How many companys that can handle a 40k ft sod job don't have a skid? Or won't pay delivery. It doesn't add up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Any sod experts can you please give me advice on the cheapest way of unloading a semi full of sod? usually 400 or 500 sq ft of floratam or bahia. I am looking to truck up my own sod from south florida and my only problem is when It gets to my job in central florida I have no way to unload it. I wouldnt mind spending the money on the machine I just cant afford something to pricey right now. I know there are some cheap piggy backs, moffetts and bobcat out there does anyone have any ideas or advice?

Thanks a ton. I have about 40,000 sq ft lines up and am sick of paying high dollar from local sod places.
Thanks

Read above. One standard pallet is 400-500 sq ft. He goes on to say he has 40,000 sq ft lined up. By my math that is 80 to 100 pallets
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd go into cardiac arrest after the first 10k sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Yo Guys

It isn't just unloading the 18 Wheeler that you need heavy equipment for. SPOTTING IN of the pallets can save a ton of work if done properly.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
That's what Pablo does for a living.
Posted via Mobile Device

Even Cut Lawn Care
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Do you guys not use big rolls? We lay 40 yard rolls and then order a couple pallets to fill in the bare spots with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Not really in Florida. Seen them a few times on highway projects. 99% of the time its 16" x 24" pieces. Would definately be overkill in the residential setting as most lot sizes are around 10k.
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
wow 16"x24" around here we have 18"x6' and 24"x5' 9 sq ft per roll

Patriot Services
03-14-2011, 08:43 AM
wow 16"x24" around here we have 18"x6' and 24"x5' 9 sq ft per roll

The most common sods here are SA and Bahaia varieties. In those sizes they would weigh over 50lbs a piece.
Posted via Mobile Device

yamadooski
03-14-2011, 07:01 PM
I'll chime in here. That is 80 pallets and 5 semi loads.
Truckers give a certain amount of time to unload. After that they charge by the hour for sitting there.
I have a Bobcat and can unload it for you its, $350 the first hour and each hour after that is 150 per hour.

Patriot Services
03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Truckers give a certain amount of time to unload. After that they charge by the hour for sitting there.
I have a Bobcat and can unload it for you its, $350 the first hour and each hour after that is 150 per hour.

At least you will make money on his deal.

Ric
03-14-2011, 07:56 PM

yamadooski

You might be a tad high on your price. I believe people can rent a Skid Steer all day for less than you charge.

Tri-City Outdoors
03-14-2011, 09:44 PM
Yep, little high it is $150 per day w/trailer. At-least in our part of the woods.
What kills me is a sod cutter is $105 per day! Probably will pay for it's self if I just break down and buy one. Wish I could find a good use one at a fair price!

Patriot Services
03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Yep, little high it is $150 per day w/trailer. At-least in our part of the woods.
What kills me is a sod cutter is $105 per day! Probably will pay for it's self if I just break down and buy one. Wish I could find a good use one at a fair price!

That's why I bought my BG sodcutter last year. No more rental fees and aggravation. No more rental equipment falling apart in the middle of a job. No more GD Ryan sodcutters. Forget about finding a clean used one, they are almost always hashed out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM

Check around at the big box and rental stores - I passed on a claussen from Home Depot earlier this year for $1600 and a good Honda engine with only roughly 70 hours on it, went back the next day and it of course was gone.

zzach001
03-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Wow.... for some reason these forum replies were not going to my email so I thought no one answered and know I see 4 pages LOL. But anyways guys. I am not BSing. I have 40,000 -45,000 sq ft of sod lined up and we are knocking out jobs daily and still have ones rolling in. I have ONE job alone for 16,00 of floratam at one house. The rest are average sized yards 4,000-8,000 sq ft. 18x400 is 7200 and 18x 500 is 9,000. There for most of the jobs I have are right around 1 semi load of sod and if there is any extra I willm just have them put it on my trailer and use it at another job.

I buy from a local sod company therefore I am being taxed and would like to just find a trucker to truck me sod directly from the field. I now have a guy in town who will unload it and spot it out at my job for 125. If any of you non sarcastic hater aid drinking lawn guys have any suggestions for me or help I would greatly appreciate it and if anyone is in the Tampa , fl area involved in sod let me know
and by the way I did not under bid my self im just trying to maximize my profit by paying less per pallet. 58 cents a sq ft is not bad for floratam

tjlco
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I hate sod....did 7 pallets yesterday...I hurt today. And I'm curious I paid 937.36 to have 6 of those pallets delivered. One I had from previous job. Thats 156.22 each ....500 square foot pallets of sa. I used to get them for 130 each free delivery, I guess no more. Had I paid for the the 7th pallet, it would work out to .31 cents per square foot. Now this was my own house, but had it been a paying customer, I would have had to rent a sod cutter,(didn't because we bought lot next door and cleared it with a grader). plus haul away and pay to dump 3500 square feet of crap....@ 58 cents a square foot this job would pay 2030.00...minus 1093 for sod, 100 for rental, at least 100 to dump, minimum 200 payroll. Idk .....sod sucks lol

Landscape Poet
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
58 cents a sq ft is not bad for floratam

That is pretty low if you ask me, unless ALL of your jobs are bulk. PM your phone number - my bobcat guy may do if the price is right - he could pick up, deliver and spot them for you with his bob cat and trailer - assuming you guys can come to a fair price. I can tell you the price of diesel for his 450 or 550 is not going down - so I am not sure how this will work out for you.

tjlco
03-19-2011, 01:21 AM
I was wondering, what method do you use to get old dead grass from yard to truck? We use the big gree barrels, but can only fill them less than half, then lift them into truck. Over and over and over and over again. Though of making some kind of ramp do push wheelbarrow up but that doesn't seem safe. A bobcat or loader sure would be nice...lol