PDA

View Full Version : Mulching vs high lift blades

southerneclipse
03-10-2011, 03:59 AM
What is the difference, and what do you use to cut most of the time? I had thought that a mulching kit would be better than high lift blades (unless you have a property with some real tall grass) because the clippings go back onto the yard. Need some help...any recommendations are appreciated, thanks.

Merkava_4
03-10-2011, 04:08 AM
I'll take a stab at it: Hi lift blades are for creating suction for bagging on a 21
inch mower, or for a grass clippings collection system on a ZTR. How's that? :)

southerneclipse
03-10-2011, 04:26 AM
What blade or blades do you need to provide the customer with the best service? I'd imagine you'd need more than one type?

Florida Gardener
03-10-2011, 06:40 AM
If you are running a mulch kit you need mulching blades, not to be confused with gator blades. I don't do overgrown properties so my mulch kit works great. I don't blow tons of clippings in beds. It does have some drawbacks but I prefer it to side discharging.
Posted via Mobile Device

southerneclipse
03-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks, I've got the mulch kit and also blades ordered, but got worried that it may not provide as nice as a cut as high lift from what I've been reading. Just spent 200$ on the kit so I'm hoping it works well. Is there a better option, or is it better to have a mix and switch out the blades?

Florida Gardener
03-10-2011, 07:17 AM
IMO it provides the same cut. Keep the blades sharp and you will be fine. Maybe I shouldn't speak so quickly as I don't know what turf you are cutting.....
Posted via Mobile Device

DavisLawn
03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
if the grass is very tall, it will bog your mower down bigtime... or at least it did mine... i bought a kit , put it on , used it for about 2 weeks and took it off.... didnt like it at all... but thats just me.

kilgoja
03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
you can get high lift mulching blades...i don't really understand the question... a mulching kit just closes off the deck...the blades you use are your choice...i think people fail to understand that you do mulch a little even without a mulch kit...the blades lift the grass and cut it a few times before discharging it out of the side of the mower...the mulch kit just keeps them in the deck longer so it cuts the grass up into even smaller pieces....i have a 21" mower that side discharges, mulches, or bags...it has high lift mulching blades on it....the cut is the same regardless of what you do...only time a side discharging method will clump up is if the grass is wet or the grass is really tall...even when bagging some of the clippings fall back into the lawn...but if the grass is tall it's gonna clump anyways if you try to mulch it because it's just too much grass lol....and if you try to bag tall grass you are gonna be stopping alot to empty the bag out...i find the best thing to do is just side discharge it and go over it a few times if the grass is really tall

Florida Gardener
03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
If you are cutting places like EOW or once a month, yes, a mulch kit isn't logical. I don't do anything but weekly maintenance and I have found in the summer on nice yards you have to double cut. I would rather mulch and have no clippings blown into beds or have to rake up tons of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

kilgoja
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
If you are cutting places like EOW or once a month, yes, a mulch kit isn't logical. I don't do anything but weekly maintenance and I have found in the summer on nice yards you have to double cut. I would rather mulch and have no clippings blown into beds or have to rake up tons of grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

if you cut every week there shouldn't be any clippings to rake up...i cut alot of yards here every 2 weeks without having rake up any grass....as for the beds just aim the discharge away from them when going next to them...should be doing that anyways using the trim side of the mower deck...and if there are alot of beds close together in the yard and you get a few clippings in there not a huge deal as they turn brown by the next day and blend in and add to the natural mulch already in there

rwaters
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
in our area we find that the following config seems to work best

the 2 inner blades Gator G6
discharge side run a high lift blade

ncknaklawns
03-11-2011, 01:23 AM
I sometimes run gator on the shoot to chop up the excrement better before it goes the bagger.

rwaters
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I sometimes run gator on the shoot to chop up the excrement better before it goes the bagger.

good idea, I do not deal with many customers that run baggers but I will keep that in mind for someone that does.