PDA

View Full Version : estimate help

StBalor
03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Hello all. i have an oppurtunity to bid on a property.
the property is 4 acres and has 58 small townhouse units. (Condos)
each unit has a fenced in back yard of 30'x24'

the fenced in backyards are throwing me for a loop cause i would have to take 21" mowers and go in every backyard and trim inside all backyards.
Can anyone give me some advice and a ball park estimate on maybe what you would bid.

need anymore info just ask.

Green Feet Lawn
03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, sounds like a time consuming task. I always charge more for push mowing. But I do not have anything like that. I am interested to see the advice on this one. Sorry : (

kilgoja
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
i would bid them individually...if they are all the same then multiply by 58...then maybe give a slight discount on the overall price

lukemelo216
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Theres no way you can get a 36" mower or maybe even a 32" mower in the yards?

From the sounds of it, your looking at about 750sqft of mowing plus then what maybe 125-150 feet of trimming.

Each one of those yards could be done in about 15 minutes trimming and cutting with a 21" mower. Problem is your talking probably 15-16 hours of cutting after you include travel time between houses, and what not.

You would need to have at least a 3 man crew on that site. 2 guys doing push mower and trimming work in the back yards, then have the 3rd guy cut everything else, then have him start cutting and trimming more back yards when hes done.

With out looking at the site on a map to see trimming amount and other stuff. I bet you could have 3 guys in and out in 6 hours or so. So something like maybe $825-925/cut.

emeraldtouchwizard
03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I am just starting in the yard mowing business and I need a formula for judging how to bid a house. Currently if the house is a push mow that takes me 1.5 hours to mow and weed eat I charge $25.00. Is this accurate and fair for both sides? But how do I judge a larger property...estate size? Also how do you estimate bids on trim jobs for shrubbery? I am in Columbus, Ohio area.

StBalor
03-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Theres no way you can get a 36" mower or maybe even a 32" mower in the yards?

From the sounds of it, your looking at about 750sqft of mowing plus then what maybe 125-150 feet of trimming.

Each one of those yards could be done in about 15 minutes trimming and cutting with a 21" mower. Problem is your talking probably 15-16 hours of cutting after you include travel time between houses, and what not.

You would need to have at least a 3 man crew on that site. 2 guys doing push mower and trimming work in the back yards, then have the 3rd guy cut everything else, then have him start cutting and trimming more back yards when hes done.

With out looking at the site on a map to see trimming amount and other stuff. I bet you could have 3 guys in and out in 6 hours or so. So something like maybe $825-925/cut.

Seems like we are both on the same page. I was thinking taking both my crews out there 6 men and knocking it out in 3.5 hrs. then we could go our seperate ways and do our other work. I was thinking about charging 1070.00 per cut.

Pressedun
03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I am just starting in the yard mowing business and I need a formula for judging how to bid a house. Currently if the house is a push mow that takes me 1.5 hours to mow and weed eat I charge $25.00. Is this accurate and fair for both sides? But how do I judge a larger property...estate size? Also how do you estimate bids on trim jobs for shrubbery? I am in Columbus, Ohio area.

Wow $25 for 1.5 hours? By the time you pay for your expenses you're not making a whole lot... Bump the price up to $35 at least and try to cut that time in half, you're not paying yourself enough. That or you're having some mowing inefficiencies.

StBalor
03-11-2011, 09:53 AM
anyone else have any input on the ORIGINAL POST?

lukemelo216
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
agreed emerald, start your own thread regarding your questions.

That sounds good. You could have 3 guys from another crew just doing push mowing work. Dont even have them string trim. Put 2 guys from the other crew on the large ztr/wb work, and then the 3rd guy string trimming behind the push mowers.

When the ztr guys are done, 1 can start string trimming, and the other start following everyone up with the blower. When the push mowing work is all done, that crew can just get out of there.

Your price sounds good, but I can say because were in different areas. so good luck

spazfam
03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
My guess would be around 850-870/cut.

ncknaklawns
03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I have a 36" stander and I cut a lot of fenced back yards never had one I couldn't get into . A huge time saver. A push mower? no thank you , that guy ain't gonna last.
I guess your not going to bag it, but if its fed well there will be a lot of grass. I hate taking the side can off and on to get through the fence.
I also would suggest you gat an individual price then multiply by 58 and then deduct some time since you won't be driving up and loading unloading 58 times and driving gas.

$850-950 ??? dependes on time and amount thickness of grass.

lukemelo216
03-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Does it have to be a push mower? or can a small wb (32-36") work. IF thats the case, I would almost consider buying 1 if it will work. You can get a decent used one for $1500-2000. You will save that much in labor in probably 2 months of cutting there. IF the 21" is the only way to go, then I would do it with the 2 3 man crews.

Let us know

XLS
03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
We have alot of small lawns with gates at 32'' wide . we was running 3 push mowers in the bacsk and they were cutting the same size area as you and we got a Husqvarna 3016zt its a 30'' 16 hp unit ( its a homeowner unit)
its cost $ 2500.00 it can cut that area in 6 mins and it runs 6 mp hour , mulches great and when you consider the push mowers and man hours needed its a good deal . ours has 1800 hours of use and all its had done is a $65.00 spindle the guys using it cuts 500 yards a week in 1 neigborhood that are 65x50 lots walkers 48'' cuts the open fronts

you might even modify your trimmer guards and mow with a trimmer , we was doing it there when we out grew the 3 push mowers untill we could buy the 3016

StBalor
03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
there is no way to use a 32" or 36" 2 of the 8 rows of buildings the back gates are only like 2' feet from the property fence. I will need to pick the back of a 21" mower up and pivot it through the gate if you see what i am saying.

lukemelo216
03-12-2011, 09:17 PM
well that just sucks. if your doing the fertilizer in there you could look into using a growth regulator in there or something on 1 of the application early in the spring, so then it doesnt get really long. Beacuse like the others said in the spring thats going to suck cutting with a 21" especially if its a wet spring or has irrigation

eco.lawns
03-13-2011, 12:05 AM

How are you still in business. an 8hr day/1.5 hrs per job is only roughly 5 jobs per day @ $25 is $125 per day before expenses. You will not make any money at this rate.

XLS
03-16-2011, 11:50 PM
go witha trimmer and add a 2'' rubber shield on your guard to hold it off the ground higher and just mow with your trimmers back there. look into a snipNmow for your trimmer if you find them ask to talk to peter

ncknaklawns
03-17-2011, 01:37 AM
DOn't take that job might be more trouble than its worth.