PDA

View Full Version : 36" Lesco - Craigslist score!

yardatwork
03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I scored a 36" Lesco walk behind today for $450. Starts on the first pull, runs good, blades work, etc. Called the guy yesterday 10 minutes after he posted it. He was asking $500, came down $50 over the phone, and held it for me until I could get it today. He said his phone hasn't stopped ringing. Only bad thing...it's stuck in 3rd gear. I think something hit into the back of it and broke the gear shifter off, that in turn jammed the gear box and broke something inside. Should be an easy fix though. I'm going to take the tranny apart and see what's going on inside. If it can't be fixed...3rd gear is fast enough to mow!

yardatwork
03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
PS...anyone know anything about the transmission on these? It's a Tecumseh #3628-P1, Peerless 6268 4894. Those are the only numbers I can get from the tranny. The transmission has a plug on the top. I believe the plug/wiring just runs to the safety switch shut off.

VnDrWLawnCare
03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Little off topic, but can you measure and tell me what the overall width of the Lesco 36" is, with the shoot up.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

944own
03-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Just FYI before someone chimes in and says good luck finding parts for a lesco. These mowers were made by cub cadet so basically you have a 36 belt drive cub mower painted green. I have a 32 and a ztr lesco and get all my parts at the cub cadet dealer. The ztr is the cub tank.

LawnTamer
03-18-2011, 12:19 AM
You will want reverse, if not 4th and 5th gear. Worst case scenario, those peerless trannies were put on just about every walk behind around, so despite Tecumseh going under, they can still be found easily. I bought a brand new warrantied one just last summer for $200.

yardatwork
03-18-2011, 09:48 AM
You will want reverse, if not 4th and 5th gear. Worst case scenario, those peerless trannies were put on just about every walk behind around, so despite Tecumseh going under, they can still be found easily. I bought a brand new warrantied one just last summer for $200.

Very true...I looked up the Peerless # 700-022 to find my tranny parts. It's one of the more rare Peerless trannys, but still wasn't hard to find. The only thing I can't find...is their touch up paint!

txgrassguy
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM
The one thing no one touched upon when working on peerless transmissions are they are aluminum.
As such, unless you are a very capable mechanic, avoid the use of air tools when dis-assembly/re-assembly of the transmission.
Once you open it up the most likely scenario is the shifting fork has be sprung from it's 'floating' position and jammed down in between the gear sprogs. The case comes apart easily enough if you want to take it that far but you should have enough clearance to remove the top case without removing the entire transmission.
Also, never - ever - shift on the fly, it will tear that tranny up faster than the 'bama man destroying the national economy. Always engage the clutch fist and 'walk' the gear lever and never force it.
Look on the rear of the frame below where the transmission is located, if you see several bolt holes and worn paint the chances are a sulky was once on the mower = a trashed tranny = a new one is needed.

yardatwork
03-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Little off topic, but can you measure and tell me what the overall width of the Lesco 36" is, with the shoot up.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

It measures 37 1/4...

VnDrWLawnCare
03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks. That will help alot.

Knight511
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Nice score! If touch up paint is your biggest worry.... worry no more!!! Perfect paint for a $450 Craigslist find...

http://www.krylon.com/

Or you can splurge and get Rustoleum.

Nice find though for sure!

yardatwork
03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Nice score! If touch up paint is your biggest worry.... worry no more!!! Perfect paint for a $450 Craigslist find...

http://www.krylon.com/

Or you can splurge and get Rustoleum.

Nice find though for sure!

Knight...funny you should post that. I actually bought Rustoleum yesterday from Lowe's. It's a shade darker than Lesco Green so I just painted the whole deck instead of touching up the rust spots. Once the deck cover is back on, you really can't tell that the mower isn't supposed to look that way!

jetedwardz
05-19-2011, 12:01 AM
i gotta b a dick here, i got a scag 52 belt drive and sulky with steel bagger and replacement decals and some other misc new parts for 500 this winter. now thats a deal. just had to replace the crank case gasket tho so that prob woulda been expensive if the shop did it. i used the cats eye gold or whatever scag spray paint can for 17 stuff works good. as it needed a lot of touch ups. but thinkin bout ur price is a good one as i just bought a sutech33 deck with no motor for 75 and will have to dump some loot into an engine; id rather have the lesco

fastcat
05-19-2011, 12:06 AM
how bout some pics