PDA

View Full Version : IHI Excavators

bighornjd
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Anybody ever heard of or used one? Just curious, there is going to be one at an auction near me coming up. Just wondering if they are total POS's or not, never seen or heard of them around here. Listing says it's an 03 model 28N with almost 2000 hrs. Has new hydro thumb and new bushings in boom. Any idea about what it might be worth? Not really planning on buying, but with auctions, you never know...:rolleyes:. I've gotten some unexpected steals before, so I'm not swearing off anything.

Digdeep
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Anybody ever heard of or used one? Just curious, there is going to be one at an auction near me coming up. Just wondering if they are total POS's or not, never seen or heard of them around here. Listing says it's an 03 model 28N with almost 2000 hrs. Has new hydro thumb and new bushings in boom. Any idea about what it might be worth? Not really planning on buying, but with auctions, you never know...:rolleyes:. I've gotten some unexpected steals before, so I'm not swearing off anything.

Solid mini-ex with sketchy dealer network. Airman is another real decent excavator without much fanfare in the US.

SIWEL
03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
A company I used to operate for had a 35. Solid machine, good power, good hydro reasponse. They got the machine cheap and it worked out good. If its cheap then go for it.

I will agree with the lack of dealer support in my area atleast, tho there is a dealer about 30 minutes up the road.

bighornjd
03-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was poking around the net for them and came across a Craigslist ad for what has to be the same machine. Same description as the auction listing and in the same town. He's asking 12,000. Not in my budget for a machine that I can't even find out where any dealers are at all, much less one reasonably close. I don't think it's an absolute auction either, so I bet it will have a reserve. I'll let you all know if it sells and how much, auction is a week from Sat.

J. Peterson Grading
03-10-2011, 08:39 PM
I have ran a 28, and they are a pretty decient machine but a little under powered. I have also ran an older style 35 with the wobble stick controls. It was by far more powerful machine.

Both are popular rental units with the local RSC.

J.

talus
03-10-2011, 08:55 PM
I rented a 35n a few years back to put in a 200' water line. I was surprised how well it dug for it's size. I dug out some good size rocks with it. I think it would be in my top 5 to go look at for sure. They remind me of a Takeuchi in some ways. No frills but built strong.

It didn't break and for what I did to it I'm surprised.:laugh:

ksss
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I owned a 35J. I put 2000 hours on it. Next to no problems with it. Compact Excavator Sales who is the importer of these machines is who I went through when I did needed something. The guys were awesome. I would own another one.

LoweJ82
03-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I rent mini-x often and Id say there not to bad of machine, Never really tried to use one for anything hard core but never been under powered.

Used to have a pretty decent sized ihi back when I did directional boring and you could dig through pavement with it.

Junior M
03-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Ran both a 28 and a 35.

the 28, I cant comment on. It was a rental pushing 3,500 hours. Although it still dug pretty well but the track movement was definetly lacking.

The 35 only had about 800 hours on it. And it was a real decent machine for its size. I'd definetly look at it before a caterpillar. Very bare bones, down to the basics machine with pretty good power.

bighornjd
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Forgot about this thread. I think it ended up bringing around $9500 for those who were wondering. No, I didn't buy it either. Just following up. That is all.