PDA

View Full Version : Scam Attempt!

MOturkey
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Just got a phone call, which my wife answered first, from a guy who claimed to be with some kind of Yellow Pages, or online advertising company, (he was a bit hard to understand, if you get my drift) saying it was time for our ad renewal, and that it would run either $198 or $998, never could understand for sure. I got on the line and explained I never had an ad with anything but our local phone company, so there could be no renewal. Guy kept talking saying that the "free trial" period was up, and that we would be billed for the full amount unless we cancelled the ad today, but that there was a cancellation fee.

I explained it was pretty damned hard to charge a cancellation fee when I never had an account. He kept on hammering, telling me that I would be billed the full amount, unless I cancelled today! I said, fine, cancel, but I'm not paying a nickel. He gave me my address, and then said he'd send it attention Robert Smith. I said my name isn't Robert Smith, realizing he was trying to get me to tell him my real name. He just kept saying, "work with me, I'm trying to keep you from having this big bill".

I finally hung up, and the bozo called right back, saying "Don't hang up, or they will just keep calling you and sending you bills until you pay this. I'm trying to do you a favor and get this cancelled, but I need some information". I told him I wasn't giving him diddly-squat and hung up. He didn't call back.

I am sure what he was after was a credit card number, so they could collect the nominal "cancellation fee". You know, if a person was busy, or not really paying attention, I see how someone could think they agreed to a free trial of something and had forgotten all about it, and out of fear of being charged a big fee, give them your personal information before you thought about it.

Anyway, I thought I should pass this along in case they are targeting lawncare companies. They might be thinking this is a busy time of year for many of us, making it easier to pull a scam.

I hear about this kind of stuff on the news all the time, but this is the first time it has actually happened to me.

kilgoja
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
i got a call the other day and they were calling me Rich and that's not my name lol...saying i had enrolled in some GED high school diploma thing...i graduated from high school with advanced diploma lol....i was like dude you are crazy i never enrolled in anything so take my number off of your call list...i don't see how junk like this is legal in america but somehow it is

grass-scapes
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I get them all the time. They want to verify my ad with (insert name here) pages and then proceed to tell me info that they can get off the internet.

The simplest solution? Hang up the phone. They are recording the call and if you say anything at all that can be construed as Yes I agree or such similar language, they will try to bill you for an online yellow page ad and you will play hell trying to get it off of your credit.

When they ask for "the owner of the business" its time to hang up.
When they ask for you by name and then proceed....once you hear verify your online......Click...Hang up.

Simple

GMLC
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Those darn scammers are getting worse by the day. Out in india some where. I actually only use my cell phone now and cancled my home phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

cms289
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
They are everywhere. Must get 2 to 3 a week...

mjschue
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I had the same call the day I was trying to finalize my taxes so I wasn't in a good mood to start with. He said we need to verify your information for your yellow pages add. (We just got our new phonebook about 2 days before.) I couldn't understand him eigther and I know my yellow page rep personally. About the second time I had to ask him "what?" I said " It would be real nice if you S.O.B.s would hire real Americans that speak english." angry: ( I'm sure I'll hear about that remark) Anyways he said "riiiiiiight" and hung up. Never called again eighther.