PDA

View Full Version : stump grinding

johnnybow
03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a lady that wants me to give her a bid on grinding 3 tree stumps. Im not sure how to price it. My hourly wage or by the job. I have to rent the grinder. Anybody ever grind stumps? Any ideas? thanks.

sicnj
03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
grinding stumps of what size and species (oak or pine).
i sub out all my stump grinding work.

FLAhaulboy
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Charge your hourly rate+charge for the the rental fee+picking up/returning the grinder.

GreenI.A.
03-10-2011, 10:36 PM
around my area most gues charge by the diameter of the stump. But then factor in if its an easy soft wood or if its an oak. also have to figure in roots, are there large roots going out 20 feet near the surface that need to be ground aswell? If it's just 3 small 6" pines you culd probably sub it out for not more than renting a grinder would cost you

LoweJ82
03-10-2011, 11:01 PM
above poster dead on, I like to try and put it out a couple weeks then try to pick up a few more stumps and get all done during one rental period.

Green Feet Lawn
03-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Sub it out and make a little money. Make sure sub has insurance.

johnnybow
03-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I checked with the rental today, I can rent one for 90 dollers a day. Im thinking about renting it for a day and try to find a few more stumps. Im thinking about charging 90 for the labor too. Is 180 too high to grind 3 stumps. Sorry i dont know the exact diamater of the stumps yet other than they came from good size trees.

GreenI.A.
03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
if its $90 a day it has t be a walk behind grinder. They take forever and are a pain in the ass. If these are hard woods at 10" idameter or more I would deffinetly bring in a sub with a real stump grinder that is hydrolically driven

Turboguy
03-12-2011, 06:48 AM
I will agree, rent a good stump grinder. I rented one like you are talking about with the plans to grind 5 stumps. At the end of the day I was still grinding on my first one. It was a pretty big and very old hardwood one but far more work than I expected.

Towards the end of the day a friend of mine in the tree business stopped by and asked why I had not just had him do it. That all those things I was doing by hand his did hydraulically and insted of working my butt off as I was his would have been one handed control.

Good equipment saves money.

Brodie
03-12-2011, 07:43 AM
I do quite a lot of stump grinding. As a result we have a self propelled hydraulic grinder and on a decent sized hardwood stump we can be there for quite a while. If you are getting a grinder from a rental company I would think it is only going to be a small machine. I can tell you from experience that using those machines is a lot of hard work for little gain. Id overestimate your time on each of the stumps.

If you are charging $180 for 3 stumps then you are way under in your pricing unless the stumps are really small. If you can give me an approximate stump diameter then I am more than happy to help you price out the stump.

Just a quick question but are you insured for stump grinding work? Do you need a separate qualification to use a stump grinder? I only ask because workcover Australia wants us to have certain qualification to use the machinery.

If you can give me some idea of measurements though I would be happy to price it out with you.

johnnybow
03-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Another landscaper today told me stumps go for about 5 dollers a inch around here. I have to measure these stumps yet

Jims Lawncare
03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
My neighbor had a guy come over today to take care of her 3 stumps, this guy had a remote operated hydraulic machine, it was freaking awesome! Now 2 of the stumps were what I call smaller sized, maybe 12-16 inches across and only a foot or foot and a half high, but the other stump was about 25 inches across and almost 3 foot high. It took him between an hour to a hour and a half to grind them and the roots up and then turn the machine and use a blade like a dozer and fill in the holes. It took him longer to drive the machine from the front yard to the back yard than it did to grind the smaller stumps. I went over and talked with him for a few minutes and he said that stump grinder was right at $50,000 new. He charged the neighbor lady $250 to grind the 3 stumps.

GreenI.A.
03-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Another landscaper today told me stumps go for about 5 dollers a inch around here. I have to measure these stumps yet

thats about right for around this area too, most companies will usually charge a minimum price arond $300 around here

LoweJ82
03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
12" or less diameter stumps $75 each so at least $225 and i would grab a few more before you nail down a date.

Around here the rental for a hydr driven machine is around $140 a day or around $80 for 4 hours, then you have a smaller one that a walk behind haven't used it, The bigger doesn't take to long, hardness of wood & operator skill has a lot to do with it.

LoweJ82
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
but the other stump was about 25 inches across and almost 3 foot high.

that's just plain dumb! Cut the stump of as close to the ground as possible less grinding, less time, off to next stup to make more $$

also say you get 10 stumps for the day, and $10 to each stump, then grind them don't spend the time to cleaning up each stump until you get them all ground out then go back and clean up and collect check! extra $10 pays for fuel you will burn going back.

this works ok if there close together.

Jims Lawncare
03-14-2011, 05:06 PM
that's just plain dumb! Cut the stump of as close to the ground as possible less grinding, less time, off to next stup to make more $$

also say you get 10 stumps for the day, and $10 to each stump, then grind them don't spend the time to cleaning up each stump until you get them all ground out then go back and clean up and collect check! extra $10 pays for fuel you will burn going back.

this works ok if there close together.
It was a big stump, she hired some guys from 2 counties away to come cut the 3 trees down, they cut and hauled all the wood off, took them 2 days, and only charged $600, she hired a different guy to grind the stumps.

LoweJ82
03-14-2011, 05:12 PM
It was a big stump, she hired some guys from 2 counties away to come cut the 3 trees down, they cut and hauled all the wood off, took them 2 days, and only charged $600, she hired a different guy to grind the stumps.

regardless of who took out the tree the person grinding should have cut stump close to ground as possible, less work in grinding and clean up guess everyone does things different..

nolatoolguy
06-19-2012, 02:55 AM
I hate subbing stuff out so I did it myself.

I ended up having a stump job saterday morning and then saterday evening and all day sunday I used the toro dingo I rented to help with a large mulch job I hade. The dingo worked great for moving mulch with the bucket attachment and when it came to grinding the grinder atachemnt works just as well. It took a little getting use to but after 45 minutes of running I ran that thing like a pro. Very good machine, I highly recomend one for any rental for a stump job.

When I came in the tree stump could be cut down closer so I did that and that saved time with the grinder as well.

Also you have to consider how hard the wood is and do they want the chips removed and filled with dirt and seed.