PDA

View Full Version : It's march, how's business so far?

Florida Gardener
03-10-2011, 08:44 PM
How is everyone doing so far??
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Picked up 6 accounts so far...doing well. Sod estimates are coming along good....got a few projects going now. Live is good, just need more hours of light, which is coming this weekend thank God.

Florida Gardener
03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Dang that's good? What's the average per month?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Dang that's good? What's the average per month?
Posted via Mobile Device

Wide range - One $70 - really small - the largest was $95. All just mowing, blowing, edging and trimming and trimming the standard viburnum. Not setting the world on fire, but they will help pay the bills especially in the winter month.

Greg78
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Picked up 5 new accounts in the past 2 months.

Greg78
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Picked up 6 accounts so far...doing well. Sod estimates are coming along good....got a few projects going now. Live is good, just need more hours of light, which is coming this weekend thank God.

Nice....I'll be glad when the time changes as well.

Landscape Poet
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Nice....I'll be glad when the time changes as well.

I think it is this weekend correct? There was enough light these evening to keep going until roughly 6:30. That my friend I am enjoying.

Is that your boxer in your avitar photo? Got one myself.

Greg78
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I think it is this weekend correct? There was enough light these evening to keep going until roughly 6:30. That my friend I am enjoying.

Is that your boxer in your avitar photo? Got one myself.

I believe it is this weekend. We had a boxer years ago, very good dogs.
She is my dad's. She is an American Bulldog 3 years 85lbs.
This is my American Bulldog. He just turned 8 months and weighed in at 95lbs.

billslawn89
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
starting to get alittle busy. keeping up on my shrub trimming touch ups, did a mulch job last saturday morning, and got an estimate for this saturday. mowing is still eow on most, and definitely got lazy over winter.

Greg78
03-10-2011, 09:49 PM
starting to get alittle busy. keeping up on my shrub trimming touch ups, did a mulch job last saturday morning, and got an estimate for this saturday. mowing is still eow on most, and definitely got lazy over winter.

I did a mulch job last week as well. I have given out several estimates for mulch but I am pretty high compared to what others are charging around here.

Tri-City Outdoors
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
We have had a lot of "tire kickers" type calls/bids.
A few estimates for bigger jobs mulch/sod but got the "Do you take a credit card" ie. We have no $, or the famous "We hired Paco-the lowballer".
Picked up a few maintenance accounts. Ad's can out today and more going out on the 15th. Hopefully the phone rings next week!
Thinking this will be a hard year but still a good one! We were not this busy last year till Mid-April.

C4chris70
03-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Did 2 mulch jobs and a couple of yard clean-ups last week. Currently in the process of a sod install, quoted a second install today, and have 1 more to quote tomorrow. Landed 2 new mowing accounts last month, but lost 3 this week to someone with a cheaper price. Oh well, win some lose some.

Keith
03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Lost a $125 yard in January, and picked up a $125 yard to replace it. Oh, and one almost-charity job. $20 a cut for a 88 yo WWII vet that fell at work and can no longer mow his own yard. I haven't been actively seeking new accounts.

tjlco
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
We've been doing well. 6 new lawns 2 weeks. 1 or 2 mulch/cleanouts a week, in the 1200.00 range. Haven't landed that "big" one yet this year, but I always try..did an estimate the other day for a whole lawn replacement, new beds, mulch, plants,...Thought that was the one buuutttttttttt I was 1000.00 more than someone else. Overall from this time last year gross sales are down, in part because I lost 12 accounts in Jan/Feb.

Ric
03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
RATHER DISAPPOINTING SO FAR.

I am getting the normal word of mouth calls but it is the advertisement that seems to suck. This year I advertised heavy. Referrals sell them self, But advertisement is only the bait that you must Hook and then reel in. I have a few Tire Kicker that should have been culled on the phone. But I have had not one sale from advertisement

I am sitting with enough customers to pay the bills and be happy. But I finally realize I must expand the business to either sell it, or hire employees. I am still finding networking and other word of mouth to be my best source of new customers.

Florida Gardener
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Ric that is why I stopped advertising. Tire kickers and people that are using some lawn jockey who has destroyed the property but don't want to spend extra for this yard boy to get it in shape. I have enough good looking properties and happy customers now that the referrals are doing the trick. I am going to be sending out a letter to a family members clients who live in the wealthiest neighborhoods around here. Accounts that are minimum $500/mo and more like 1k+/mo. All I need is my foot in the door and I'll be set. Good luck to everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
03-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Off to a better start than last year! You know it's going good when you get home at 830 on Saturday night and the time hasn't even changed yet!
Tis the season fellows!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

GainesvilleLawnscaping
03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Doing good. This is our first Spring, as we are a newer company. We've picked up 6 new accounts in the last week ranging from $35-$50 per visit.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Busy, booked solid for next 2 weeks with leaf and pollen cleanups. Started networking with a new CPO has lead to a couple of referrals. Hopefully I can send some work his way. I think people are getting tired of paying TrueGreen and getting less than promised results.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
03-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Picked up 2 new maintenance accounts today. 1 mowing only at $80 a month, the other mowing plus palm and ornamental maintenance at $150 a month.

Did a small mulch job Tuesday. Things are starting to pick up.

Landscape Poet
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Did a 4100 square foot sod job this week, got a bid for another accepted for 3600 square foot - both jobs were are $325 a pallet, just got another one tonight for roughly 4k and a small one for 500 square across the street this morning.

southernmower
03-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Man..what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get any new business, I'm being told I'm too expensive at $25.00 a visit, and that includes bush trimming and weeding planting beds. And I just lost 2 accounts in the past month due to financial issues, theirs not mine.

justanotherlawnguy
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
$325 installed, you can have all those you want. By the time you pay for the sod that's like $100 to remove and $100 for install. Have fun with that... Wanna do about a 300sf job in Cheval? Front yard curbside
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg78
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Picked up 2 more maintenance accounts, another mow, trim, edge and blow. The other is mow, trim, edge, blow plus palm and ornamental maintenance.

Put in a bid for a doctors office and 2 residences, all owned by the same guy. Pretty sure we will get them.

Greg78
03-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Man..what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get any new business, I'm being told I'm too expensive at $25.00 a visit, and that includes bush trimming and weeding planting beds. And I just lost 2 accounts in the past month due to financial issues, theirs not mine.

We quit doing by the cut / service. Found a lot of people start to want to call when they think it needs it or drop service in the winter time.

We only do year round clients with level billing.

Landscape Poet
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
$325 installed, you can have all those you want. By the time you pay for the sod that's like $100 to remove and $100 for install. Have fun with that... Wanna do about a 300sf job in Cheval? Front yard curbside
Posted via Mobile Device

Not really - my labor cost me 15 cents a square to remove with sod cutter and install - not each but both - my cost for a average pallet removed and installed $160.00. You do the math.

Landscape Poet
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
We quit doing by the cut / service. Found a lot of people start to want to call when they think it needs it or drop service in the winter time.

We only do year round clients with level billing.

Same here, I will do a one time cut for someone that pulls up and ask if I feel I have time and only for cash! I had 5 last year that were on the per cut - it did not take long they were not worth the time if they were not paying year long rates.

Landscape Poet
03-30-2011, 09:44 PM

Shoot me a P.M - you are in my town - if I do not know you - might be interesting to get to know each other.

Florida Gardener
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Business has been good....been doing a lot of cleanups,extras for current customers.

On a bigger note, I will find out this weekend if I landed my first "Big Dog." It is just under 1k/month and in a very prestigous neighborhood. This will be my ticket in.:weightlifter::cool2::walking::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

Patriot Services
03-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Not really - my labor cost me 15 cents a square to remove with sod cutter and install - not each but both - my cost for a average pallet removed and installed $160.00. You do the math.

I have been getting Sod jobs en masse lately. I have no problem getting a 1.00 sq ft. I bought my own cutter last year and am looking at a verticutter. Most of the jobs had very little old grass to remove. BTW these yards died from the last LCO cutting SA at 2". There is definately money in sod. Just not for the occasional dabbler.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-31-2011, 08:27 AM
I have been getting Sod jobs en masse lately. I have no problem getting a 1.00 sq ft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sod jobs seem to be getting to be a larger and larger portion of the business recently. Same way you are getting them, I get a phone call and it I usually find out it was LCO trying to be the L and O company too, and not knowing how to do either correctly. I think the resistance to Bifen took awhile for some of these guys to figure out, there normal home depot purchase did not protect them.

Another thing that I think has brought on damage here this year was two years of horrible winter conditions, this year especially seemed to leave the turf stressed during the early spring, and the lawns that were stressed and struggling to come out of the freeze were more likely to have active cinch bug infestation in them already this year.