PDA

View Full Version : Dump insert on truck frame

TPS
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Probly a dumb question, but has anyone ever mounted a dump insert directly to a truck frame? Im looking at a 2500 with a utility bed that is rusted a bit. I was wondering if anyone ever did this? I can make a plate to mount to the insert to and put on top the frame. Obviously the truck would need fenders. Could also mount tool boxes as well on the sides of the frame. Its much cheaper than a mason dump and a 7K capacity of the dumb insert is plenty for me on a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. Thanks for any insight.

hosejockey2002
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
It probably will work fine, even if it looks a little strange. My insert is bolted to large brackets that are bolted to my truck's frame (the bolts go through the bed), you could probably make brackets out of heavy angle iron to bolt your insert to.

GreenI.A.
03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I've seen it on a dodge 2500. Looked alittle weird at first and then the guy ended up having steal plates weleded to the sides of the dump to square it off more and had them painted to match the truck.

doubleedge
03-11-2011, 10:55 AM
A regular dump bed would have quite a bit more capacity than the dump insert. On the other hand, you could build toolboxes that fit right into the bottom of the dump insert, like this: http://www.truckcraft.com/productDetail.asp?id=20&cID=.

Have you considered a dumping flatbed? It is considerably cheaper and lighter than an ordinary dump bed.

TPS
03-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I priced out a dumping flatbed and it was 8500. I can get the insert for 3000 and probly another 1000 for tool boxes. The inserts have a capacity of 7000 pounds or about 5 yards and I think both those numbers would be fine for me. Plus you would save some weight deleting the truck bed. I would love to see pictures of the 2500 if you have some.

STIHL GUY
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
i looked into a reading redideck and it would be $2700 installed. im not sure if this dumps as well or not but it seems like a pretty good deal to me