PDA

View Full Version : Timing on marketing/advertising

Woodland
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a number of mailings that I would like to do this spring to get some new customers. I am a small operation, working in a fairly small market. My advertising has almost exclusively been word of mouth and direct mailings. This season I would like to expand my services to include landscape gardening and all-around landscape maintenance and get a few more lawn mowing accounts set up. I am looking to beef up my "steady income" as opposed to chasing the one time projects. To this end, I have printed up a post card that I want to mail out to the neighborhoods I am targeting. I am thinking of following this up with a printed letter a few weeks after. In addition to this mailing, I am going to send out some general brochures showing some of the "project" work I have done and listing all of the services I offer. This will be a much less selective mailing.

I am unsure about the timing of these mailing and was hoping to garner a bit of advice about what has worked for others. As of right now, there is still snow on the ground...a lot of snow. I predict we wont see patches of bare ground for at least another three weeks. It will definitely be mid to late April before I can even think about getting outside. My concern, obviously is that I don't want to waste any of these mailings by getting them to people when they aren't even close to thinking about their yards yet, but I also don't want to give them the opportunity to hire someone else before I get to them! The general services brochure I'm not as worried about. The first part of the season is always jam packed with spring cleanups for basically the same clientel I do every years. That mailing is geared more to gathering interest in installations - plant and hardscape - so once the grass is green and people are confident that winter is gone seems most appropriate. Maybe I'm wrong. What have your experiences been???

LawnsRUsInc.
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
With mailers i can tell you is EXTREMELY weather dependent. I would send it out when the forecast is showing a higher temp. for several days

CLS LLC
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
These timing questions are impossible to answer unless someone lives within 50 miles of you. No one knows your specific climate. If you live in Georgia your advertising should have been out over a month ago. If you live in South Dakota you still have over a month before you should send out that first piece.

Woodland
03-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I wasn't really looking for specific dates! More like general guidelines on what the weather looks like when you typically send out stuff. How close to the start of "mowing" season do you wait before you hit them with the first postcard?? Then what, a couple of weeks before the next one???

walker-talker
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Over the last 10 years, the most consistent form of advertising I have done is running ads in the newspaper. The busiest two weeks of the year are the week before mowing starts to the week after I have started mowing.

Woodland
03-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I wish I could agree, however, in my area I have never had any success with newspaper ads.