PDA

View Full Version : Curious how many of us are members of the LMA?

C4chris70
03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I was just trying to figure out how many LMA members we have in our area, and how many have even heard of the LMA? The reason I bring this up is because Pinellas county recently passed an ordinance requiring all lawn and landscape companies and all employees to take a class, pass a test and become BMP certified to help protect the environment they say. In the past two days I have witnessed a homeowner blowing leaves off his lawn and into the street, a guy operating out of the back of a pickup truck hurricane cut palms leaving about 2 branches, and another homeowner empty the remaining roundup from his sprayer directly into the gutter. Why are the homeowners given a pass and allowed to purchase and use chemicals incorrectly if the environment if truly the focus of this ordinance? I'm also pretty sure the weekend warrior landscape companies have no idea about the BMP ordinance, nor will they ever be stopped and checked. It's time we join an organization who will look out for the professional companies. If we band together we can stop these stupid ordinances and those yet to come. How many are interested in finding out about the LMA? I am considering putting together a small meeting and trying to get the director to come out and speak.

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I was a member years ago, total waste of money. About as useful as being a member of the last industry rocker that has come and gone, ALMA. :laugh:

Ric
03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I was a member years ago, total waste of money. About as useful as being a member of the last industry rocker that has come and gone, ALMA. :laugh:

Zturn

Jim's Complete Lawn Care out of Boco Grande was the last President of the Local LMA Chapter and still holds a Bank Account with some LMA money in it. I am guessing the LMA here folded in the Late 1990's. Jim tried to get me to take the money and start up the LMA here again but I declined. There was an attempt to start it just before Charlie but that went with the wind also.

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
The Port Charlotte chapter is the chapter I belonged to. We met in one of the bank buildings as I recall. At the time I think we had almost 300 members, but they never really seemed to have any direction. And of course only 30 or 40 members would show for the meetings.

C4chris70
03-11-2011, 11:15 PM

I understand the LMA does not have the influence needed at this time. It's tough to make a difference with a couple hundred members, but a few thousand may be a different story. This could be a very benificial organization for all of us, but we need to work at it. If we do nothing, I'm sure there are more ordinances that will hinder our businesses right around the corner. Maybe they will ban leaf blowers as they did in certain parts of California. We can try to be proactive or just sit back and deal with whatever they throw at us.

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 11:27 PM
In theory it's a great idea but the same problems have been discussed over the last 30 years I have been in the industry and not a single organization has come along and really done squat. My advice is educate yourself in the specialty areas in the industry and the work at good rates will come to you. Fixing the whole industry with an association is a waste of time, unless you start the association and take a salary.

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 11:34 PM
In theory it's a great idea but the same problems have been discussed over the last 30 years I have been in the industry and not a single organization has come along and really done squat. My advice is educate yourself in the specialty areas in the industry and the work at good rates will come to you. Fixing the whole industry with an association is a waste of time, unless you start the association and take a salary.

For instance Ric has offered a hell of a deal to educate and differintiate a persons business from the rest of the crowd without to many takers. Many people just want to write a small check without having to think and work for success, it usually doesn't work that way.

Ric
03-11-2011, 11:35 PM
The Port Charlotte chapter is the chapter I belonged to. We met in one of the bank buildings as I recall. At the time I think we had almost 300 members, but they never really seemed to have any direction. And of course only 30 or 40 members would show for the meetings.

Zturn

Yep it was the Bank just north of Sunny Dell Plaza and across the street from the Brown Cow drive in store. It is no longer a bank today. I don't think I ever jointed LMA but I attended a few Meeting at that bank. I was just getting started in the Green Industry. Funny how you remember from years ago and can't remember 5 minutes ago. But I remember learning to use ammonium on insect bites and stings at one of those LMA Meetings. I still use it and tell people to use it til this day.

Chris

LMA was very active and a strong Lobby at one time. The Limited Pesticide License is the solo work of the LMA. There are still pockets of LMA chapters that are still atempting to lobby for their members benefit.

C4chris70
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I have been in the industry for the past 20+ years and have plenty of decent paying work. However, there is no way to avoid this new ordinance other than to just ignore it. If you cut grass, or fertilize grass or plants you and all employees are required to take a class and pass an exam, period. This has not affected you yet if you don't work in Pinellas county. Oh, by the way, this ordinance is becoming state wide in 2014.

Ric
03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
For instance Ric has offered a hell of a deal to educate and differintiate a persons business from the rest of the crowd without to many takers. Many people just want to write a small check without having to think and work for success, it usually doesn't work that way.

Zturn

I am real sorry we couldn't get together. But you were the first to Recognize Our Markets are so much different. I am sure if your situation changes you will contact me. But we still need to get together to talk about Chapter 487 Licenses that can & will make you money in your Country (good old boy) Market.

C4chris70
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Zturn

Yep it was the Bank just north of Sunny Dell Plaza and across the street from the Brown Cow drive in store. It is no longer a bank today. I don't think I ever jointed LMA but I attended a few Meeting at that bank. I was just getting started in the Green Industry. Funny how you remember from years ago and can't remember 5 minutes ago. But I remember learning to use ammonium on insect bites and stings at one of those LMA Meetings. I still use it and tell people to use it til this day.

Chris

LMA was very active and a strong Lobby at one time. The Limited Pesticide License is the solo work of the LMA. There are still pockets of LMA chapters that are still atempting to lobby for their members benefit.

Ric

I am a member of our local LMA and have been for several years. I posted this thread because I'm sick of hearing guys in my area complaining about lowballers, lack of respect, and stupid ordinances, but be totally unwilling to join in and try to change things.

Take this BMP thing for example, if the ordinance was really meant to protect the environment, why not make everyone (including homeowners) take the class and get a certificate. Then make them present the certicicate when buying pesticides or fertilizers. Either educate them, or make them hire a licensed professional. That would add value to the professionals who have the certifications. Of course that would never happen. The homeowners would never stand for it, as they would come together (unlike those in our profession).

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I have been in the industry for the past 20+ years and have plenty of decent paying work. However, there is no way to avoid this new ordinance other than to just ignore it. If you cut grass, or fertilize grass or plants you and all employees are required to take a class and pass an exam, period. This has not affected you yet if you don't work in Pinellas county. Oh, by the way, this ordinance is becoming state wide in 2014.

And that is why I would suggest spending your time and resources getting all the education and certifications you can and then selling your services to the people that will pay for it instead of fixing the industry with another association.

zturncutter
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Ric, Good Ole Boy market LMAO:laugh::laugh::laugh:, I love it.

Ric
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Ric

I am a member of our local LMA and have been for several years. I posted this thread because I'm sick of hearing guys in my area complaining about lowballers, lack of respect, and stupid ordinances, but be totally unwilling to join in and try to change things.

Take this BMP thing for example, if the ordinance was really meant to protect the environment, why not make everyone (including homeowners) take the class and get a certificate. Then make them present the certicicate when buying pesticides or fertilizers. Either educate them, or make them hire a licensed professional. That would add value to the professionals who have the certifications. Of course that would never happen. The homeowners would never stand for it, as they would come together (unlike those in our profession).

Chris

Zturn is 100% correct be selfish and get your own certifications that you can sell at a higher Margin. Trying to improve the Green Industry is a lost cause. I know because I have been trying for years to help educate the Idiots here at lawnsite only to get a new crop of fools each year.

C4chris70
03-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Chris

Zturn is 100% correct be selfish and get your own certifications that you can sell at a higher Margin. Trying to improve the Green Industry is a lost cause. I know because I have been trying for years to help educate the Idiots here at lawnsite only to get a new crop of fools each year.

Ric

Sadly, I think you're right. All the certifications in the world won't make a bit of difference. With this ordinance, a licensed irrigation contractor can't repair an existing system if the system is not equiped with a rain censor. Under the ordinance the contractor MUST sell the client a rain censor. If the client doesn't agree to buy one and have it installed, the contractor is not allowed to service the system, period. My area is the first to adopt these strict laws so most are not affected, yet. When these laws go statewide lets see if people change their tune.

Ric
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Ric

Sadly, I think you're right. All the certifications in the world won't make a bit of difference. With this ordinance, a licensed irrigation contractor can't repair an existing system if the system is not equiped with a rain censor. Under the ordinance the contractor MUST sell the client a rain censor. If the client doesn't agree to buy one and have it installed, the contractor is not allowed to service the system, period. My area is the first to adopt these strict laws so most are not affected, yet. When these laws go statewide lets see if people change their tune.

Sorry but IMHO it is athe lack of enforcement that lets the illegals get away with murder while the poor legal guy pays his dues to gets screwed.

Laws are only as good as the acceptance by the public of those laws. If no one enforces the Laws then they are not laws because the public doesn't support them by enforcing them.

zturncutter
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Chris, I agree with your concerns about the industry, but the older I get the more I realize you have to pick your fights, you can't win them all.

C4chris70
03-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Chris, I agree with your concerns about the industry, but the older I get the more I realize you have to pick your fights, you can't win them all.

I couldn't agree more. I just wanted to get a feel for whether or not there was enough interest to get this organization headed in the right direction. Seems it would be an uphill battle.

tallrick
03-13-2011, 01:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQscE3Xed64 The reason why the economy is failing and low quality, under the table work happens. This is a worthwhile organization to support it seems.

C4chris70
03-15-2011, 09:31 AM
This is exactly why we need to join an organization that will fight for the best interest of those in our industry. Full story can be read at Green Industry Pros.com

Here we go again - blowing hot air in northern California
The city of Sebastopol, CA ó located about an hour north of San Francisco ó just passed a leaf blower ban, which will go into effect about a year from now (read story).

Some residents didnít feel like it was fair to have to deal with the dust and noise associated with leaf blower operation. The Sebastopol City Council agreed, voting 3-2 in support of the ban. The only exception to the ban is for city public works employees who canít utilize another tool to complete a certain task, such as cleaning out storm drains in an emergency. Apparently, for homeowners and lawn maintenance contractors who need to clean up leaves and other debris, a rake will do just fine.