PDA

View Full Version : Payscale

tjlco
03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Ok, for you FL guys with employee's....what are you paying? I had a discussion/ argument with one of my guys becuse his raise wasn't enough, he's worth more, blah blah blah. Now he is good, would do anything I asked, can trim with the mexicans, talks to customers...the whole bit. I trained him the way I like, he was green when he started 4 years ago. Now he's 22, married to a chick who runs his life and hates me lol. We are a one truck operation, I am almost always on the truck with the exception of a day or 2 per month. He is on salary so he gets 14 weeks off paid. Right now he is at 360 a week, going to 410. The other 2 or 3 guys are hourly. He wants to gross 500 a week, because he could elsewhere. I politely said well I hate to see you go, but I'm not "that company" with 10 trucks crew leaders and all that. By the way, I do a ton of other stuff for him...lunches 2 or 3x a week, helped him out when his truck was broke, lots of other little things as well. Wow long post sorry guys, so how am I doing paywise???

lawnman_scott
03-12-2011, 11:44 PM
How does he get 14 weeks off? do you not work in winter? As far as $360 a week, that is $9 an hour if you work 40. I know i never work near 40 in summer. Honestly I think it sucks. What is the take home on that $320? That would probably help him squeak by in a rat infested trailer.

Keith
03-13-2011, 12:07 AM
He probably meant 14 days off.

rob7233
03-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Ask yourself, what does this employee bring "totally" to the table? Is he one that can contribute directly to your growth and profitability? I'm talking beyond is technical abilities, does he conduct himself and think like someone who's a business owner? Does he look out for your bottom line?

Technical abilities can be taught and found in the market. Although, hard at times, that person is replaceable. What's harder is finding someone who has a true desire, attitude, ability, knowledge and willingness to maybe someday help you run your company. A real leader and not just for a crew.

How would him leaving, negatively impact your biz? What does that add up to in dollars, now and in the future? Run your numbers and you decide. Can he do anything to generate the extra cash he wants? Also, to give him 500 gross without meeting any goals or criteria should be a no-go, what happens the next time he thinks he's not getting enough?

Btw: In any case, scale back on all the "favors" etc. IMO you may be too close/ involved to be objective. It's probably why you came here to post the original question in the first place.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Tjlco-
Correct me if I get this wrong. You pay him on salary based on 2080 hours per year. During the season he works more per week but in the winter he gets maybe every other week off? So it all averages out. From the 3 calls I got this week from guys looking for work he might not want to complain too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
I agree with Rob's advice as it is solid, bottom line is only you know how much of a asset this guy really is.

If he can really grow the business with you - then he should be worth more, if he is just another yard monkey that does a good job trimming edging - as said that can be taught to a new guy.

I also agree with Rob if you do want to give him the raise. Give him goals - if he achieves them, he proved himself to you that he is worth it, if he does not, he should understand why he is not getting the raise.

One last thing - from the folks that I have talked to in corporate America - this year has been very bad in terms of raises - for example, my neighbor that works for Merck and has for 13 years - his usual 2 to 5 % raise is looking more like 0.5% this year with some of his best production number year to date.
My wife who works for a insurance company that does only high end real estate - her raise was roughly 5K last year, this year - it worked out to a huge $2 a day increase, just enough to pay the toll one way to work.

As you can see, corporate america is giving out smaller raise this year, why should you be different unless this guy is really all of that. If he is, you know he is and should take care of him.

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 10:46 AM
The guy is being offered a 14% raise, he wants 28%. What job gives that kind of increase for doing the SAME amount and type of work.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
03-13-2011, 11:26 AM
rob...I have thought of most of those things, but bottom line is he doesn't want to work for me forever, he wants to go to school and do something..and he should. If he did leave, it would suck, but I could get a guy tomorrow to work for 8 bucks an hour that would do the same things he does, but may not take as good care of my stuff, though when he does break something his attitude is ooops at leat you have money to fix it.

we do take 14 WEEKS off, and he's still paid

Patriot..I feel the same way, I have talked to other area lco's as well I think my offer to him of 410, is fine. Its the benefit of knowing I could hire another guy, send them all to work and stay home forever. I never intend to do that but I could. If he don't like it (its really his wife) he knows where the door is

willretire@40
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Pay him more during season and tell him to go on unemployment in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Pay him more during season and tell him to go on unemployment in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Problem here in Florida is you still do intermittent work in the winter. Never really shuts down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Well then. 14 weeks off paid is a whole different story. 22 yo, over a 1/4 of the year in paid vacation, and over $21k a year gross. That ain't too bad. If I were 22, I might would just come and take his job :D

Ric
03-14-2011, 12:55 AM
tjlco

Think for a second what kind of a life you would have with only a $ 20 K income per year? Then realize the type of employees you get for $ 20 K a year.

Patriot Services
03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
There a probably a dozen guys in your town right now that would fight club to the last man standing for a job. 12-15% unemployment rate and some guys going on 2 years without a job. TJ trained this guy, he can train another.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
TJ trained this guy, he can train another.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is my only issue on here when people talk about they could potentially lose a good employee that has a history with there company. Many people over look the fact that there is essentially a cost of hiring a employee and training a employee, let alone, hiring and training one that does things the way he likes them. This is why I thought some of the points Rob made were pretty valid thoughts he should think about.

This however as I and I think others have stated, is only a question he could answer, as he has the experience of what kind of quality of help you can get for that wage in his area. If he is pulling in a good profit - and this guy is worth it to him and his company - then he should have no problem spreading the wealth around a little, as there is value that should be placed on employees who have time in with the company and the work ethic the company is looking for.

As far as the market goes right now, I am positive finding help right now is not the problem, the problem comes when unemployment goes down in the future, and we are back to getting the scum of the earth, missing teeth and prison tattoos and all for the wage we pay and the conditions we work in.

Patriot Services
03-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Good point Mike. I would be more inclined to agree if he was working unsupervised. TJ being on the job makes a huge difference in an employees performance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Yo

I can't get past the fact Florida Minimum Wage is $ 7.25 an hour and you all expect rocket scientists for $ 8 or $ 9. I was paying $ 15.00 plus profit share 6 years ago.

gregory
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
goes back to the old saying you get what you pay for.....

quality or quantity which do you want...

Landscape Poet
03-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Yo

I can't get past the fact Florida Minimum Wage is $ 7.25 an hour and you all expect rocket scientists for $ 8 or $ 9. I was paying $ 15.00 plus profit share 6 years ago.

Ric,

I agree in theory with your statement. In fact the fact that I feel that I could not get someone of quality at that price that I would want representing me is one of the reasons I am still solo - not because of a lack of work.
I figure if I am going to go through the trouble of hiring someone, training them, and then letting them represent my company, I had be prepared to pay a decent wage. I feel if one is not willing to pay a good wage, then they are overlooking or do not know any better what kind of employee they are getting for that wage (granite todays market you are much more likely to get a decent person with our unemployment if you screen and interview properly).

I have shared this on this forum before, but for years after I graduated college I ran Super Wal-Marts. I can tell you from experience, if you are not willing to pay a good wage, it will reflect on your business. What I found is that I could still hire quality employees for the corporate base rate which usually was slightly above min wage. It took me personally being involved in the interview process and the applicant going through 3 other interviews with lower mgmt before they got to me to do so consistently. This of course took money. Even with a great interview process in place, I may hire quality people, but at the suggested pay scale, it did not mean they would stay for long. So essentially I figured out that by the time and money I spent interviewing the folks, then training them, only to have them leave and have to start the process over, I could just offer offer over the suggested rate and streamline the hiring process, get longer retention, and thus lower my cost in the long term for many many reasons.

That is something I think most industries, ours especially, tend to overlook. There is something to be said for offering a fair wage for the work and then even further rewarding those that excel or outperform.

That does not mean that you over compensate every smuck who has experience running a whip or pulling a hose, but it does mean that a employee should ad value to your company, and if they do, you should compensate them appropriately.

zturncutter
03-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok, for you FL guys with employee's....what are you paying? I had a discussion/ argument with one of my guys becuse his raise wasn't enough, he's worth more, blah blah blah. Now he is good, would do anything I asked, can trim with the mexicans, talks to customers...the whole bit. I trained him the way I like, he was green when he started 4 years ago. Now he's 22, married to a chick who runs his life and hates me lol. We are a one truck operation, I am almost always on the truck with the exception of a day or 2 per month. He is on salary so he gets 14 weeks off paid. Right now he is at 360 a week, going to 410. The other 2 or 3 guys are hourly. He wants to gross 500 a week, because he could elsewhere. I politely said well I hate to see you go, but I'm not "that company" with 10 trucks crew leaders and all that. By the way, I do a ton of other stuff for him...lunches 2 or 3x a week, helped him out when his truck was broke, lots of other little things as well. Wow long post sorry guys, so how am I doing paywise???

When I downsized my company in 2008 my foreman of 10 years was making $16.50 per hour with a $250.00 per month performance bonus and drove one of the F250's home each night. My number 2 guy was at $13.25 per hour and got a ride to work each day with my foreman. The other employees in previous years started @ $10.00 per hour. Both of these guys could do paver, irrigation, landscaping etc. and held the limited pesticide certificate which I paid for the classes and the annual ceu's. I would say even in this lousy economy you are way low.

Ric
03-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Ric,

I agree in theory with your statement. In fact the fact that I feel that I could not get someone of quality at that price that I would want representing me is one of the reasons I am still solo - not because of a lack of work.
I figure if I am going to go through the trouble of hiring someone, training them, and then letting them represent my company, I had be prepared to pay a decent wage. I feel if one is not willing to pay a good wage, then they are overlooking or do not know any better what kind of employee they are getting for that wage (granite todays market you are much more likely to get a decent person with our unemployment if you screen and interview properly).

I have shared this on this forum before, but for years after I graduated college I ran Super Wal-Marts. I can tell you from experience, if you are not willing to pay a good wage, it will reflect on your business. What I found is that I could still hire quality employees for the corporate base rate which usually was slightly above min wage. It took me personally being involved in the interview process and the applicant going through 3 other interviews with lower mgmt before they got to me to do so consistently. This of course took money. Even with a great interview process in place, I may hire quality people, but at the suggested pay scale, it did not mean they would stay for long. So essentially I figured out that by the time and money I spent interviewing the folks, then training them, only to have them leave and have to start the process over, I could just offer offer over the suggested rate and streamline the hiring process, get longer retention, and thus lower my cost in the long term for many many reasons.

That is something I think most industries, ours especially, tend to overlook. There is something to be said for offering a fair wage for the work and then even further rewarding those that excel or outperform.

That does not mean that you over compensate every smuck who has experience running a whip or pulling a hose, but it does mean that a employee should ad value to your company, and if they do, you should compensate them appropriately.

Mikey

Yea with all that experience it is too bad you didn't learn how to run a service business.

Zturn

It could sometimes be very disheartening to watch the Help make more money than we did that week. But with out the help we couldn't of made the big money in the good times.

My investment club has a CEO who runs things. We are vested in several hospitality type business. I reported to him that I had watched a new girl who didn't know me, Steal a small amount but several times during her shift. He was well aware of the stealing because of a security system he installed. But the Girl is real good looking and had a following as a bartender. The CEO simply explained to me, when she steals more than she made us, he would fire her but not before. Why fall on your sword when she is making us money. I believe there is a lesson here.

Landscape Poet
03-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Mikey

Yea with all that experience it is too bad you didn't learn how to run a service business.

Ric,

Not sure why you would say such a thing, but as always you are welcome to your opinion
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, he went to another company, for 60.00 more per week, and 15 more hours. With a further drive. However where he went they do all upscale stuff apparently, design, waterfalls, ponds, etc...big yellow landscape he said. And he has the chance to move up I would imagine which I can't offer at this time. Funny now that he's gone I've replaced him with someone I've known forever and I trust even more. Things always have a way of working out I suppose

Eastsidelawncaretom
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
At our Company we try to get the best ppl that can be gotten and that doesnt happen with $8 an hour. After taxes he is not making much of a life for that wife and kid. It might make sense to bring him in to profit sharing so that he has some stake in was is spent on the business (and would care more if thing break).bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Patriot Services
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
At our Company we try to get the best ppl that can be gotten and that doesnt happen with $8 an hour. After taxes he is not making much of a life for that wife and kid. It might make sense to bring him in to profit sharing so that he has some stake in was is spent on the business (and would care more if thing break).bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Call me unsympathetic but a man's lifestyle for his wife and kid are not the employers problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
03-15-2011, 02:36 PM
And he doesn't have any kids...his wife can't stand me or the way I run a business. She gets mad if I take a call during day, then take that side job for palms or mulch or whatever, squeeze it into an otherwise 3 oclock day. Thats just one of the things there are many, thats just one example.

Ric
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Call me unsympathetic but a man's lifestyle for his wife and kid are not the employers problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

You poor misguided Child to think your employees lives are not your concern. GOOD LUCK because with that attitude you sure are going to need all the luck to survive with employees.

tallrick
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
I have never understood how employers can find employees to work for slave wages. Even more baffling is how part-time people earn less than full timers with benefits. In both companies I helped start my relationship ended with payroll issues. Whenever you get a partner who makes an investment, he demands cutting costs while he himself extracts every bit of profits. If someone works full time he needs to earn an income at least 1/3 of the prevailing home price in the area. If any full time employee earns less than the average wage of an area he is wasting his time in that job. I would listen to my employees concerns and always try to find ways of increasing his compensation. If the profits are not there to support an employee simply mechanize and have fewer people. Trouble is that in Florida there is an unlimited supply of desperate job searchers. When I was forced out of my companies I was able to continue to correspond with employees on the inside and experience the decline of the company. You cannot save a sinking ship with more on the crew bailing out the water.

Florida Gardener
03-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Gotta agree here. I worked at restaurants where the easiest job paid $10/hour and guys are supposed to do 90+ degree weather for $8/hour??? Would you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
03-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Having had employees before and getting to the point of needing them again I know all too well both sides of the coin. Nobody is forced to accept, hold or otherwise perform a job they don't want too. Working for a landscape is a JOB not a CAREER. Huge difference. The only company that I know of that pays you extra for having a wife and kids is the US military.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Having had employees before and getting to the point of needing them again I know all too well both sides of the coin. Nobody is forced to accept, hold or otherwise perform a job they don't want too. Working for a landscape is a JOB not a CAREER. Huge difference. The only company that I know of that pays you extra for having a wife and kids is the US military.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

Yep and it is easy to understand why you don't have any employees now.

Patriot Services
03-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Well it would seem the OP's outcome supports my opinion.

Ric- I thought you were a solo op now.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
03-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Well it would seem the OP's outcome supports my opinion.

Ric- I thought you were a solo op now.
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe Rics operation was grossing close to $1.000,000 per year, before Charley wiped out the market in our two counties. He knows what he is talking about. As far as the OP's outcome, what outcome, he has a new employee, thats all, may turn out to be a bad outcome.

zturncutter
03-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Just another thought on outcomes, if this other company is on the ball they are pumping the foreman for all the client info they can get, I know thats what I do.
Believe me he will be very talkative on these matters with his new boss.

Patriot Services
03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Z- its a given the guy is gonna run his mouth to the new boss. Do you really think he has some super secret knowledge of TJ's operation that nobody else would ever think of? TJ replaced the guy in ONE day with somebody HE feels better about. Business decisions are never easy and rarely popular with the ground troops.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
. Do you really think he has some super secret knowledge of TJ's operation that nobody else would ever think of?

In reality he probably does, in some cases he will know the contract prices on the accounts, in some cases he will have all the contact info on the accounts, in other cases the customers are actually more loyal to him than the owner. He will know how long it takes to maintain the properties. He will know which ones are dissatisfied and what they complain about. In some cases he will know when the current contract on a given account will expire. Properly handled a pissed employee you hire from another company can make you a lot of money. And of course all of the employees that have stayed now know that they will never make more than $20,000 or so a year, if they want more they will be told to hit the road.

Patriot Services
03-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Z- you make some very valid points. It sounds like there was a lot of outside drama surrounding this employee. If an employee has that much knowledge of the internal affairs that is a problem in it self. If the guys wife is bitching because he's not off at 3pm, that's a problem. I bet he doesn't complain when he spends every other week in winter sitting on his butt. At 22 for semi-skilled labor I still maintain my opinion of it not being a bad gig. Everybody on this thread has made good points from both sides. It sounds like both did what they felt was in their own best interest.

On Ric, I've never heard his whole story. I would be surprised if he hadn't run several large operations over the years. I personally enjoy his unique insight that only comes from been there, done that.

Ric
03-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Z- you make some very valid points. It sounds like there was a lot of outside drama surrounding this employee. If an employee has that much knowledge of the internal affairs that is a problem in it self. If the guys wife is bitching because he's not off at 3pm, that's a problem. I bet he doesn't complain when he spends every other week in winter sitting on his butt. At 22 for semi-skilled labor I still maintain my opinion of it not being a bad gig. Everybody on this thread has made good points from both sides. It sounds like both did what they felt was in their own best interest.

On Ric, I've never heard his whole story. I would be surprised if he hadn't run several large operations over the years. I personally enjoy his unique insight that only comes from been there, done that.

Patriot

Ric's story is pretty simple, It ends with Ric being a 70 yr old Broke Has Been. But Ric' ego doesn't need to tell you how great Ric is, Ric's Common Sense just helps you understand your problems. In your case, you would do better to work for someone else. Some people just are not leaders or businessmen.

GreenT
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
we do take 14 WEEKS off, and he's still paid

Are these the weeks in between EOW during the winter?

If not, could you please explain...

tjlco
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I see everyones point both sides, and they all make sense. However with all the drama he had been bringing, its almost like ahhhhh he's gone. The company he went to, from what I can tell is a large company. High end commercial stuff like Hilton, Bay Walk, ect..according to their webpage anyway. They wouldn't want to be bothered with my couple hundred accounts, to them its a drop in the bucket. In fact I'm a bit north of where they work anyway. And yes the 14 or so weeks off is eow in winter, except we try and do 2 weeks off in a row sometimes

Kelly's Landscaping
03-18-2011, 11:16 PM
First ignore the Ct area on my tag I know this is your forum.

I am trying to understand how landscaping is so much different down there. You guys should have it made but it doesn't sound like you do. I often see in the trade magazines features of southern companies often from Florida. And the numbers at first look great but like any businessman I always crunch them to see how we compare and I'm shocked by how little per man many featured company's make in revenue. Ill see numbers like 750k a year but find they have 25 employees to make that and a longer season then I have. While up here 25 employees would make 1.5 million to 2 million a year.

What I guess I don't understand is how a company that brings in under 30k a year per employee can even profit. I know you have a lower minimum wages but its not that much lower ours is $8.25 an hour which means landscaper starting pay is around $12 any less and there's easier ways to make a living. Is the states average pay so low as to depress the price of mowing cause no one can afford it. And if that is the case you have rent insurance repairs and fuel to name a just a few I mean a new mower or truck cost us both about the same so how can one make less and still thrive.

Well I am not trying to insult any of you I just am trying to understand a business model that I can't see how it works. With overtime some of my guys hit $1100 a week so the $360 quoted here is worlds apart.

PS Ric duff isn't a Yankee we wouldn't have him:)

Florida Gardener
03-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Kelly the lowballers reigns down here. Most companies follow the volume model and price things low just to get work.
Posted via Mobile Device

tjlco
03-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Here our average size lawn,(60 or 70 by 100 ish) goes for 50-60 bucks a month mow n go. More for full service. It takes no more than 10 minutes start to finish. We are doing mostly groups of 5-23 lawns at a time. Average 35-40 cuts a year, same price for 5 cuts or 1. I was pulling flyers from doors this week for 39 dollars a month...its the way it goes I guess. We concentrate on mow n go, but upsell the hell out of the side work. Its worked for me over the years. I have been to long island, and said damn must be nice to get 40-50 per cut. But in the North your living expenses are wayyyyyy higher. Example, my wife and i just bought a beautiful 4 br 2 bath huge house. Nice crap stainless stuff pool blah blah blah. Her sister bought a 100 year old house that needed tons and tons and tons of work, for exact same amount. Her taxes are like 7 or 8 grand (i think) mine are 2 grand. Its a relative, at least thats what I'm told

tjlco
03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I would love to get more money from each lawn, but as Diamond said...and its not even the typical lowballer, its guys that have been around a while, nice equipment, do a good job, reliable.....if the neighbors lawn guy is doing the same job for less money....thats how we roll in FLA lol

zturncutter
03-18-2011, 11:59 PM
I have been trying to understand it for years, there is plenty of money down here but the customers realize that in Florida they usually don't have to spend it like they would in their home state. :confused:

Florida Gardener
03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
It's also different in different partsof Florida. I have tins of wealthy people here with large estates that you can make tons of money on if you can nab them. Other parts of Florida don't have the same wealth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kelly's Landscaping
03-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Yes the size of the state is hard to comprehend I can reach any part of mine in 90 mins or less.

Ric
03-19-2011, 01:18 AM
First ignore the Ct area on my tag I know this is your forum.

I am trying to understand how landscaping is so much different down there. You guys should have it made but it doesn't sound like you do. I often see in the trade magazines features of southern companies often from Florida. And the numbers at first look great but like any businessman I always crunch them to see how we compare and I'm shocked by how little per man many featured company's make in revenue. Ill see numbers like 750k a year but find they have 25 employees to make that and a longer season then I have. While up here 25 employees would make 1.5 million to 2 million a year.

What I guess I don't understand is how a company that brings in under 30k a year per employee can even profit. I know you have a lower minimum wages but its not that much lower ours is $8.25 an hour which means landscaper starting pay is around $12 any less and there's easier ways to make a living. Is the states average pay so low as to depress the price of mowing cause no one can afford it. And if that is the case you have rent insurance repairs and fuel to name a just a few I mean a new mower or truck cost us both about the same so how can one make less and still thrive.

Well I am not trying to insult any of you I just am trying to understand a business model that I can't see how it works. With overtime some of my guys hit $1100 a week so the $360 quoted here is worlds apart.

PS Ric duff isn't a Yankee we wouldn't have him:)

Kelly

Landscape in Florida is in fact much different than Ct. First we have a year round growing season and Our plants being tropical grow wild and need a lot more care.

But one big problem in our industry in general and particularly Florida is the Scrub. Every Northern Loser who can't hold a job comes to Florida to sponge off Grandma. With no real job skills they are now the 30 yr veteran of lawn care or at least think they are. Worse yet is the self appointed Landscape designers who don't have clue. While their landscape designs might actually look good the day it is installed, they haven't a clue to the growth pattern and a year later it is a Jungle that the Yard Boy can't keep up with or it is complete dead.

With more Lawn Trucks on the road than customers, supply excess equals less demand and prices follow. By late July and early August 100% humidity and 90 degree temperature most of the scrubs are gone but a new crop is standing by to take their place.

BUT a real Businessman can make money in Florida. We do have upscale retirees and working class professionals who want nice yards and are willing to pay for it. I have always liked having the Upscale Water Front homes as my target market and feel I have done well in that market. of course I had Commercials building also that I did OK on. Fl Landscape who I Network with prefers doing Commercial office Building and Zturn likes doing large estates and Hunt Clubs in his area. Fl Land is 4 mile one way and Zturn is 8 miles the other from me.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Ric kind of sounds like the growing season is a curse in its self. Up here a poorly run company will go under in winter with no more income for 4 months or so. Down there they can linger since they don't need a huge war chest just to survive the winter and have pay roll and start up money when spring starts.

Although we have a longer season then most give us credit for basically about March 15th to Dec 15th. 40 weeks most years with 30 of them mowing season.

You need not worry about me moving there iv never been further then Philly and that was when I use to play tournament chess at the world open. I prefer my climate up here.

What kind of hours do you guys rack up a year? Because of the short year here we tend to take on as much as possible and if you want 40-50 hr work weeks mid summer that means 70-90 hr work weeks April though June.

Ric
03-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Ric kind of sounds like the growing season is a curse in its self. Up here a poorly run company will go under in winter with no more income for 4 months or so. Down there they can linger since they don't need a huge war chest just to survive the winter and have pay roll and start up money when spring starts.

Although we have a longer season then most give us credit for basically about March 15th to Dec 15th. 40 weeks most years with 30 of them mowing season.

You need not worry about me moving there iv never been further then Philly and that was when I use to play tournament chess at the world open. I prefer my climate up here.

What kind of hours do you guys rack up a year? Because of the short year here we tend to take on as much as possible and if you want 40-50 hr work weeks mid summer that means 70-90 hr work weeks April though June.

Kelly

There are actually two separate market here Florida. IRRIGATION & NO IRRIGATION. Of course upscale work is the Irrigated yards with a year round contract. It is pretty much what Florida guys want to talk about here on Lawnsite.

BUT There is another Non Irrigated Market that has the same pit falls of seasonal Markets. It is this market that weeds out the scrubs the same as in your Market. BUT Don't think a shape Businessman can't make it in that market. I seen several Blow N Go operations make money.

South Florida Lawns
04-03-2011, 01:40 AM
Shoot I'm just trying to find guys that will come to work sober and on time. Seems like alot of others with out work would rather sit around.

Ric
04-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Shoot I'm just trying to find guys that will come to work sober and on time. Seems like alot of others with out work would rather sit around.

El Mexicanos trabajan bueno y estan el tiempo.

Landscape Poet
04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
El Mexicanos trabajan bueno y estan el tiempo.

The mexicans are good and work Time????

I do not not that much spanish.....I do know Verde Up for sod jobs. I will give it to the mexicans ....at least the ones I have had work for me.....they will outwork most folks...and be happy doing it.

Having the contact is the key South FL...find a connection with a local strawberry picker....foxtail puller ....etc etc....find the guy that is running those crews. I call them the Amigo Pimps. They have a steady supply of guys that are willing to work their tail off. Give them a try...if you like them...then think about bringing them as a member of your organization.
If you find the guy in charge South FL - your world will expand as you will find that you suddenly have access to quality pavers, retaining wall builders, guys that will do manual labor that you might dread doing on a hot day...and will be happy to do it for a very reasonable wage. The world is limitless because this guys work their tail off.