PDA

View Full Version : 36" metro mulch and gators, Awsome!

ranger520
09-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Just installed a mulch kit and gator blades on my 36" exmark fixed deck 12.5 kaw and the cut is awsome. There was no trace of clippings. The best part of this is there was no clippings to blow from my flower beds. If this will work on a day to day basis it will save me alot of time. Now all I need is a flex deck to make this machine do all that I need it to do.

greenman
09-18-2002, 10:09 PM
I'm glad you like it. I love my mulch kit. I don't have gators, just the standard mulch blades. They do great, even with leaves. the only clippings I ever see are the one that are blown up on the edge of the concrete:D .

65hoss
09-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Greenman, try gators when the leaves get to really falling. They will turn them into dust. Does even better than the mulch blades.

greenman
09-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Thanks, hoss. Double gators or just run singles? I'll have too much blow out with doubles, wont I?:confused:

65hoss
09-19-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by greenman
Thanks, hoss. Double gators or just run singles? I'll have too much blow out with doubles, wont I?:confused:

With the mulch kit you would probably have way to much blowout. Just the singles will be awesome on leaves.

Lance L
09-19-2002, 01:09 AM
ive been told that the wavy exmark mulching blades are better than gators with the mulching kit... have u tried them? my cut is flawless... just a thought

ranger520
09-19-2002, 01:19 AM
I have not tried the ones that came with the kit. But I am going to do some expermenting over the next few days to see how other blades perform. Any input on running double on this would be great as well. What combs of blades would I run with double and such.

65hoss
09-19-2002, 01:59 AM
When cutting warm season grasses the eXmark mulching blade is the only way to go. Any other blade changes the airflow and doesn't make the clippings disappear. The grass will mound up down the right side. Can't tell you about your conditions.

I only can use the gators during leaf season.

ranger520
09-20-2002, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the info on the stock mulchers hoss. do run single or double gators in leaf season?

65hoss
09-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Doubles with the mulch kit will put a wall of dirt up in front of you. Singles only for me. With the gators leaves stand no chance. Its amazing to see what happens to them.

Flex-Deck
09-21-2002, 12:03 AM
I run gators all year long, but they are on JD stamped decks, and they are the only blades that keep the decks clean underneath. I also mow blue grass and weeds that are typical in Iowa, so take that for what it is worth.

My decks used to slug and plug in the front left corner with JD blades - Now I just mow and do not have to look under the deck - it is always pretty clean - may remove a bit from under the deck when sharpening blades, but that is all - GO GATOR

Tony Harrell
09-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Maybe this was mentioed somewhere and I may have mssed it. What kind of blades do you or can you run on the Flex-Deck?

Flex-Deck
09-22-2002, 10:25 PM
You can run the eXmark or Dixie Chopper blades for their 60" ZTR decks - (Any Blade that is flat with a 5/8 hole - and is 20 1/2" long) or 20 5/8" long)

greenman
11-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Greenman, try gators when the leaves get to really falling. They will turn them into dust. Does even better than the mulch blades.

Will running single high-lift gators produce alot of blow-out? What about using just regular gators for the leaves? I already have enough blowout as it is.

65hoss
11-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Will running single high-lift gators produce alot of blow-out? What about using just regular gators for the leaves? I already have enough blowout as it is.
Regular gators is what I run. High-lifts with the mulch kit mess the airflow up with nothing gained. For leaves, the factory mulch blades or gators.

greenman
11-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks Hoss! Currently I am using the factory mulch blades. They do well, but I have to go over 3 or 4 times and there is blow-out.

deason
11-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Hey Hoss!!

Speaking of gator mulchers, Guess who was handed the wrong set of gator mulchers (again)?

For some reason, I saw this coming.:blob2: :blob2: :dizzy:

Scotlawncare
11-02-2002, 10:03 PM
dave, which dealer did you go to?

Scot

deason
11-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Scotlawncare
dave, which dealer did you go to?

The new one here in Millington. It's an old "mom & pop" operation that just started selling exmark equipment. They are a little behind on stock and in knowledge of an LCO's needs. Nice people though.

I caled them Tuesday and told them I wanted a set of "Gators" for the 52" HP. I also told them I was mulching so I needed the mulching version of these blades. They handed me side discharge gators. I told them that these are not the bladed and they said "these blades are the only ones made. They don't make a mulching version." I said "No, I have owned the style that I am telling you about and they do make them". They continued to argue that they did not. I called one of thier competitors (from thier phone) and got the part #. I gave it to him and they traced it and found the blade. Needless to say I got the "deer in the headlights" look after that with the comment "well I be dad gummed, I didnt know they made those!".

Anyway, I stopped back by yesterday to pick them up (again). He was proud as he had them waiting on the counter as I walked in. He said "here you go, we got it right this time" I said thanks, bla bla bla and left. Got to the trailer, looked at the blades and walked back in. he said "what else you need?" I said "the right blades, these are for a 48", I need 52!!!!" He ordered the wrong part # :blob2:

In closing I do realize that I may have confused him when I said Gators. But, what I can't get over is how much more I know than this dealer does about parts that he should know about. I will probably restrict this guy to string, fliters ( I know the part #s), and 2 cycle oils. Every thing else will come from Bartlett or Olive Branch.

Flex-Deck
11-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Ranger520 - You ready for a Flex-Deck on that 36" WB this winter- I may have misinformed on a previous post - The Flex-Deck comes with a Gator - but you can also run normal Dixie and eXmark blades under it if you desire - http://36X

EJK2352
11-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Hoss,
I thought you take off your mulch kit and put on the Ultra Vac for leaves?? I have been trying to mulch leaves this fall and have found that the Ultra Vac is alot quicker. I only have to go over the lawn 1 time w/ the Ultra Vac vs. 3-4 times over when mulching. ED

65hoss
11-04-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by EJK2352
Hoss,
I thought you take off your mulch kit and put on the Ultra Vac for leaves?? I have been trying to mulch leaves this fall and have found that the Ultra Vac is alot quicker. I only have to go over the lawn 1 time w/ the Ultra Vac vs. 3-4 times over when mulching. ED

I leave the mulch kit on my 36" and add gators for leaves. I already took the mulch kit off the lazer and put the ultravac on.

I put the ultra vac on about a month earlier this year. It would work out about the same this time of year for me picking up or mulching. I use the 36" for tight areas or to chop up piles of leaves and the ultravac to suck them up. Depends on the property.

[i]Dave, quit confusing those poor people. I know your flirting with the daughter. Hey, you could sell Scot the 48" blades. Make you a little profit also. ;)

jason r.
11-04-2002, 09:03 PM
ayhha, so that is why i'm getting the clumps of grass down the right side of my lazer hp. also i've been getting alot of blow out and i have to play cat and mouse with alot of the leaves. i'll get a set of exmark mulching blades asap. can anyone post a picture of the gator mulching blades or describe what they look like. i'll get a set of them too. just want to make sure i'm getting the right blades. maybe a part #? sometimes it seems as though some dealers just want to sell you what they have the most of. so i like to go in there with a part # if possible. GREAT INFO!

jason r.
11-04-2002, 09:05 PM
oh yeah i forgot, they are for a lazer z hp with a 44"deck. thanks for any help.

Scotlawncare
11-04-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Hey, you could sell Scot the 48" blades. Make you a little profit also. ;)

Dave give me a call if you still have those blades. if they are mulch gators i might buy them. call me.

Scot

deason
11-05-2002, 02:25 AM
Sorry Scott, I gave the blades back to them Saturday. No telling where they are now. Probably being used as paperweights.

Hoss... I beg to differ. Wasn't it YOU who told me "that cute chick in the back runs the show"!

Better watch it or I will have to spill the beans on your letter to the U S Patent office. You remember don't you?? The patent you are trying to secure on the "Mousetrap for the Millenieum". Seems that little wood shed in the back yard is holding a lot of secrets nowadays. Lots of room in there now since you kicked the tractor out. (or did it just leave on its own?) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: