PDA

View Full Version : Green Giant

Shaded Green
03-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I was just informed, by a family friend, that another contractor has given a price of $147 per tree on 6 - 7' Green Giant Arbs. This price includes a 1 year warranty.

My estimate was much higher. Granted, I was using 2 - 2.5" Carpinus. However, the price I pay for both species is exactly the same.

Am I wrong for wondering how/why this contractor has been in business for over 20 years, or are my prices extremely high? After adding my labor costs, plant material, compost, fert, mulch, etc., I was under the impression I was still cutting him a deal.

andyslawncare
03-12-2011, 09:09 PM
If your bid was toward the minimum that you can accept, and you are being beat you shall likely not worry about the job and focus on others. I wouldn't spend too much more time on it if you know what you need and can't get it. Maybe figure out where the competitor is getting their trees from also--maybe a lower price... Also, is the competitor going to include compost, fert, and mulch?

FLCthes4:11-12
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
We can pick'em up right now in Ga for bout $50 per tree from the grower so his price sounds fine to me. If you cant do it for that I wouldnt worry much we all have our price breaks. He might just be breaking even for cash flow and keep his guys busy.

Shaded Green
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
andyslawncare: The other contractor won the bid. I'm told the plants he buys don't need compost or fert. How this is possible evades logic to me. I also know, as fact, that he's purchasing these arbs at the same nursery I use.

On to the next one

03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
The response wasnt directed at me,,,,but there is some logic....Trees need to be planted in native soil...the research shows it true.....and possible that most plants dont need to be fertilized there first year because they were fertilized at the nursery. But I do agree to move on and focus on the next one.

Shaded Green
03-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Flcthes4:11-12 I had intended to respond to your comment as well. However, I've actually been working on the next bid. Anyone's thoughts are welcome. As for the use of native soil, I didn't intend to bring in new soil. I just add composted material and fert to the soil (which I till) removed from the planting holes which I then use for backfill.

03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I gotcha, good method. Have a good spring.

AGLA
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
One thing that does happen is that someone will give a price that includes nothing other than exactly what is stated. I don't know if t is the case with this guy or not, but some will go in, dig holes, bury the root ball and nothing else. If removing branches, cutting a bed, evening out the soil, mulching the bed, .... whatever else you might see as normal preparation or finishing is an extra and they screw the customer after they have a deposit and contract.

eastcoastjessee
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure how a customer can get estimates for 2 different species of trees that are total opposites. What is the function of these trees? I've never seen a Green Giant cost the same as a Carpinus. One grows fast and the other slow. I pay half as much for a 6-7' Green Giant versus a 2.5" Carpinus. Somethings not right with your nursery quote.

Shaded Green
03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
The client didn't approach either of us with a specific plant to use. His only worry was creating a privacy screen with deer resistant plants. In my experience, Carpinus is an awesome selection for such applications. As far as price..........I checked, double checked, and triple checked. The plants cost me the same at my local nurseries. Until I have the capital to invest in a couple acres, I cope. I know that I can get arbs much cheaper elsewhere. Then again, I try to avoid using em'.

Although, like I told someone earlier today......... If you want to pay me to build your retaining wall from legos, I'll be here next Tuesday.