PDA

View Full Version : Bed Edging

OBX
03-12-2011, 09:04 PM
What do you guys use for bed edging? A customer likes trenching but now after having it for a couple of years the edges have erosion. He wants something to eliminate erosion but doesn't want brick/normal edging borders.

lukemelo216
03-12-2011, 09:15 PM
what do you mean the edges have erision? What exactly is eroding? Is it something he has done on a yearly basis?

OBX
03-12-2011, 09:22 PM
We cut a square trench around the beds and the dirt is eroding on the bed edge.

lukemelo216
03-12-2011, 09:31 PM
you mean the dirt from the flower bed is washing down into the bed edge and filling it in more or less?

Well yeah thats going to happen, you need to mulch the flowerbeds so then the dirt doesnt fill in the edge. Then usually 2xs a year we rake back the mulch about 1 ft, redefine the edge and then rake the mulch back. no problems then

OBX
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Luke
I've done that but the erosion still happens. Part of this problem is there are tree roots that spring up on the edge and the dirt breaks loose over into the edge.

lukemelo216
03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
how deep are you trenching the edge? and what are you using? The main thing I can recommend is edging it at least 2-3 times yearly thats what we do. We have been selling what we call midseason clean ups and we reedge all the beds then, and then again in the fall too. Generally 3 times yearly. try edging a little deeper too.

TSB group
03-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Buy the Echo redefiner...you can thank me after you pick it up!

White Gardens
03-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Buy the Echo redefiner...you can thank me after you pick it up!

Get a tiller head for a Stihl and throw that thing away!

OBX
03-13-2011, 09:23 AM
We hand cut the edge cutting it square about 5-6" deep.

lukemelo216
03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
thats fine and dandy for the first time, but you should look into like the redefiner or something. Then upsell some reedging in the summmer. Its what we do when the grass slows down. Thats where I got the idea for the midseason clean up.

We will go through re-edge the beds, turn/fluf the mulch to freshen it up, pick up any small debris, usually apply a second round or pre-em to the flower beds for weed control, lightly trim up any shrubs stuff like that. its a really good seller, and since in the middle of the summer you generally arent mowing as much if its dry, its a good revenue producer

jwsland
03-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I purchased a bed shaper made by little wonder a few years ago. It was expensive at $2800 but worth every penny. Hydrostatic drive, adjustable edge depth, you control how much grass you want to remove. Works great for cutting out new beds, re-edging old ones, and removing sod in strips for the new beds. A day of edging a large house with 3 guys is eliminated, I cant have a whole house edged as fast as I can walk around it, then just pick up the grass. After a couple times most beds don't really need to be done again for a while, just some shovel touch up.

There's pictures of my edging on my facebook page.

TSB group
03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a tiller head on a Stihl, sure won't redefine at bed edge though!

MarkintheGarden
03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
What do you guys use for bed edging? A customer likes trenching but now after having it for a couple of years the edges have erosion. He wants something to eliminate erosion but doesn't want brick/normal edging borders.

There are lots of materials available, and sometimes using edgers is better than the trenching. I like natural stone material best.

White Gardens
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I have a tiller head on a Stihl, sure won't redefine at bed edge though!

That's all I use to define/redefine beds.....

I can turn around and grade out the spoils with it, and then go through and turn the mulch. All with one machine.

Check out this post.... Example1 (http://lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3475491&postcount=375)

And This One....... Example2 (http://lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3475493&postcount=376)

And This Last One...... Example3 (http://lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3475498&postcount=377)

And yes, some of the lines are tweaked in the photos, but as I do maintenance, I take a shovel and fix the areas I need to over the course of the summer.

OBX
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas, This customer is extremely hard to please so redefining the beds every 3-4 months maybe the way to go. He is a 12 month contract customer. He had a lot of medical bills due to his twins were born premature, so he just called me up to renew the contract. I think I'll just figure what it will cost to redefine the beds 3-4 times a year and add it in to this years contract.

A local rental company RSC has a used (I think it's a bluebird) bed edger for sale for $750.

lukemelo216
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
the bluebirds are decent edgers. just remember when redefining in the season if theres mulch in the bed, pull it back a couple feet so you can just rakethe spools into the bed and then put the mulch back over it.

OBX
03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Yea and keep a piece of plywood between the mulch area and the machine.

Are there any out there that wont throw the dirt into the bed?

lukemelo216
03-14-2011, 12:42 AM
theres no need to put the ply wood there, the bluebird has a nice cover on it, and it basically forms a pile of dirt in the mulch bed. Thats why I say, rake back the mulch like 2ft then you can just rake the dirt into the mulch bed and spread the mulch back over it, and you will be fine. Depending on location, we might throw 2 or 3 yards into the dump truck in case we need to touch up the mulch in areas when we reedge.

plus redefining the bed edges is easy revenue during the summer. I mean after the busy spring and before the busy fall, you need to have something to do during the summer besides just cut grass.

TSB group
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
$750 sounds really cheap for that edger. I would ask if you can take it to your dealer for a once over so you know what you are buying. I think that machine is like $2800 new, and the sell between $1000 (beat up) to $1500 (not terrible) around here.

Rentals can be a good, cheap way of adding to your equipment, but you need to be careful. And that is speaking from exerience on something I got a stiffy for and had to have without really checking it out.

Also, "redefining" beds with a bed edger is a bit more difficult that it is with a redefiner that is on sale from Echo new right now for $600!

White Gardens
03-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Yea and keep a piece of plywood between the mulch area and the machine.

Are there any out there that wont throw the dirt into the bed?

Look at my first link in my last post.....