PDA

View Full Version : Soil Moist and others...

johnsonslawnmanagement
03-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Anyone use Soil Moist or any products like it for moisture retention in new plantings? I'm looking for something like this to use on our non-irrigated landscapes we occasionally have to install in hot weather. Prefer to buy in bulk but have only found it in 1# containers. Any other name brands or similar products?
Posted via Mobile Device

Turboguy
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Soil Most is JRM's brand name. There are a lot of people who sell a similar product. JRM also has different packaging availalbe. I buy it a pallet at a time from them in 50 pound bags.

Perhaps try Innovative Turf Solutions, they sell Watersorb brand by Stackhaousen which is a good product. Talk to Melisssa there and she should be able to take care of you or call Dave at JRM and ask where you can buy it in larger packages.

White Gardens
03-13-2011, 01:03 PM
My only problem with these products is that it's a polymer and I'm not sure of the environmental impact that they have.

It might be negligible, but is definitively something to consider.

Another problem I have with these products is what happens if the plant isn't watered. Will the crystals shrink and start pulling usable moisture away from the plants in extreme drought conditions.

Though using it for shrubs and other perennials to get them started might have it's advantages, especially if the plants will grow a much larger root ball and the existing crystals won't have any impact after the plant is established.

When it comes to pots and annuals though, I think that's where problems might arise.

Smallaxe
03-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Another problem I have with these products is what happens if the plant isn't watered. Will the crystals shrink and start pulling usable moisture away from the plants in extreme drought conditions.

That is a very good question White,

One that deserves a knowledgeable definitive answer b4 one goes forward with this advanced product...

Turboguy
03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
It is an interesting question and I don't have a difinitive answer but I don't see any reason it would create that problem. The polyacrilimide crystals are in the root zone so if anything it would pull mosture from the surrounding area and make it available to the plant roots.

It's not that new and I see a lot of professionals using it with success.