PDA

View Full Version : Certified Landscape Technician

neighborguy
09-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Just for curiosity sake how many here have passed the Certified Landscape Technician Test? I have my test day this Saturday and am a little nervous about it. I am confident in my ability to construct quality products but not sure I can remember all of the technical BS that they expect.

TheGrassGuy
09-19-2002, 04:52 AM
I have passed the tests for installation and maintenance. It was very thorough but fair. My combination of education and experience helped.

neighborguy
10-03-2002, 07:55 PM
Just an update if anyone really cares: I failed two out of the 18 or so sections of the CLT test. I am fortunate that I am able to go to a neighboring state and retake these two sections this weekend without having to wait one year for Wisconsin to have their next test date.

John Allin
10-03-2002, 09:06 PM
I'm a CLP.
I know the feeling when you pass and achieve the goal you've set for yourself.
Good luck.
Go Get 'Em !!!

Tony Harrell
10-05-2002, 06:11 AM
Is that a state or industry thing?

neighborguy
10-05-2002, 05:58 PM
To the best of my knowledge the CLT is an industry thing. They have general guidelines on what each state tests on so that it is transferrable to other states. The Wisconsin Landscape Contractors Association is in charge of our testing. You should have a similar association in your state.

John Allin
10-05-2002, 10:00 PM
The CLT exam is overseen by the International Landscape Technician Council (ILTC). The ILTC is licensed by the Associated Landscape Contractors of America Certification Board of Governors (ALCA - BOG). The BOG is independent from the ALCA general Board of Directors. The ILTC oversees all CLT testing in the USA and Canada, and licenses the individual state landscape organizations to actually put on the test. The CLT test is not a state run test.... the state organizations administer the test under a license agreement with the ILTC, as overseen by ALCA's BOG.

The test is standard and is not altered for different regions as the tests are of standard installation and maintenance practices. There is a written and hand's on exam. There is someone from the ILTC and/or BOG at each hands-on portion of the exam. This person is the official "Observer" to validate that the test is being given in a fair manner and is consistent with all the other tests put forth around the country. Some states do not have the licence to put on the test yet, but most do. The rest are in the process of getting ready to do this.

Hope this information helps in understanding how the CLT test is overseen, administered and given.

By the way... I am on the ALCA Certification Board of Governor's.... which is why I know this stuff... and, I have functioned as an official Observer on several occassions.