PDA

View Full Version : shindaiwa t-230, opinions

jimbos
09-18-2002, 09:32 PM
anybody have any comments, good or bad about the shindaiwa t-230? Always used stihl in the past, new dealer carries shindaiwa. no stihl. My brother loves the t-27s, but has no experience with the smaller machine. also looking at the shin 630 backpack, because of the higher cfm's and mph. The comfort of the stihls(backpacks) might be missed. Also does anyone know if redmax still has the vents for your back on their blowers, and if so are they worth a shirt? :drinkup:

kppurn
09-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I have a t-230 and feel it's an okay trimmer. It's a little underpowered when you have a lot of line out. I will probably go with a t-260 for my next purchase since I like to tim with a lot of line.

soccer coach
09-18-2002, 10:17 PM
I like mine and it starts everytime. I think when I replave these I will get at least 1 split boom from Shindaiwa. The only thing I would do is up grade the trim head on the 230. I bought an aftermarket unit for the lst one and put them on all. No removable spring to play with as the spring is bolted to the top retainer. It does spin the other direction than the JD trimmer we used to use but a day or 2 of getting used to it I was fine.

Ryan Lightning
09-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I like my t-230, and its always started really easy.
But about 2 weeks ago I did a real good clean, changed the air filter, and removed the spark arester. After that I couldnt get it started for nothing for a few days, I even changed the spark plug. Then I got it start working, but it still dont start as easy as it use to.:confused:
I think Im going to get a t-231 split shaft, for back up. Every thing in CA for shindaiwa ends in 1 now because of the new carbs.

Keith
09-18-2002, 10:44 PM
I used Echo and Stihls for years until, by chance, a dealer was closing out the Shindaiwa line. I bought a T230 for under $200 that day. I have added a couple more T230's, edgers and blowers to the arsenal since, but I still use that original one alot of the time and over 5 years later still runs fine. It's not the most powerful trimmer, even though it seemed every bit as powerful as our SRM2400's. But it is well balanced and well suited for weekly maintenance that we do mostly. As far as the heads go, I have never had a problem with them.

So to answer your question, if I was going out to buy a new trimmer tomorrow...it would be another T230 :)

jimbos
09-18-2002, 11:12 PM
thanks keith, you probably put it through the same routine that we will. So i thank you for your reply.

Keith
09-18-2002, 11:37 PM
I completely missed the fact that you were looking at the EB630 blower :eek: I got an opinion on that too :D We used Stihls from 1993 to 2000 (1 BR320, 5 BR400's). We bought the first EB630 about two years ago and bought another 2 months ago. Since then the last BR400 hasn't probably been used over 2 hours. I can't speak for the BR420, because I haven't used one, but we really like our EB630's :)

Having the throttle on the left side take all of about 2 minutes to get used to. After that the lack of left hand controls feel weird to me. So no regrets there either :) It's not like we have a lack of dealers selling Stihl, we have to go out of our way to buy the Shindaiwa stuff and we still have no second thoughts. What kinda price are you getting quoted on the 630?

LAWnENFORCER
09-19-2002, 12:26 AM
I also have the t230 and am pleased with its performance. The only problem I have noticed is the eyelets on the head just slide in and they can lost easily.

Good Luck!

Kevin

ranger520
09-19-2002, 01:00 AM
I run a t-230 and a eb-630 blower and they seem to run flawlessly. I run mine mostly at 1/2 throttle and under with short trimmer line and the trimmer does not go through hardly any line at all. I run Tanka .098 line in mine. The head does take a little getting used to as far as putting line in but as with anything, just a little educating yourself on a system for doing it.

Keith
09-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by LAWnENFORCER
I also have the t230 and am pleased with its performance. The only problem I have noticed is the eyelets on the head just slide in and they can lost easily.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Never lost any, but have worn a few out. Good idea to keep spares though, especially since they are cheap, about 75 cents :cool: Had to replace a couple bump buttons on the head too, I think they were around 2 bucks.

jeffex
09-19-2002, 06:49 AM
I have 2 t-230s . I use .80 string to keep rpms up . I put on replacement heads from suffix available at lowes for $15. They start easier than my kawasaki kbla23s that I got because they are very light and easy on the back. One is 5 yrs old and I replaced the clutch spring last yr. but that is the only expence on it in 5 yrs. The kawasaki had to be serviced last yr for $70 and this yr. the straight shaft broke and cost me $128 Like I said I use it because it saves my back but not my wallet

keifer
09-19-2002, 07:03 AM
I have always used stihl and just by chance was at the shin dealer and bought a 230 and loved it.have since bought a split boom for the tiller attachment and pole saw. The only prob in my area is that shin stuff cost more than the stihl.

FatherandSon
09-19-2002, 09:01 AM
We have both, a Shin T-230 and a Kawasaki KBL-26A. The Shin is ok but very very hard starting. Takes about 8 to 10 pulls. The Kaw starts first pull. Both about the same on power. Replaced the Shin head with an after market due to hard time reloading the string.

In the future it will be Kawasaki...... Much lighter also....

Bill Davis
09-19-2002, 10:45 AM
After only using the T-270's i found a used T-230 for a good price and was only going to use it for a back up. When i used it didn't have near enough power for my liking. So i bought the hedge trimmer attachment and the chainsaw blade for it and they work perfect. The T-230 has plenty of power for these which actually surprised me. I cant tell you how nice the hedge trimmer attachment is. It articulates real well and save me from having to get on a ladder a lot of the time. Hope this helps.

walker-talker
09-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Three years and no problems, other than replacing a $1.57 spring in the head.

MATT

SIG
09-19-2002, 11:45 AM
I have 3 Shindaiwa trimmers. I like them alot, always start and never break, but I don't think they are powerful enough for some applications. I have Kawasaki blower, not sure of model, but have had more issues with that than I would like.

StayStihl
09-19-2002, 03:14 PM
I've never had the opportunity to actually operate any Shindaiwa equipment. I have however held a T-230, seemed like it would be a very comfortable machine. I have always been a Stihl fan, We use the FS85's, and I don't think I would ever go to anything else, just had to good'a luck with 'em. My dealer carries Kawasaki, Shindaiwa, and Stihl, my last purchase he mentioned to me that I should try out a Shindy, I was like ehh, ok, just gimme that orange one there, thanks, hehe. SO maybe he was trying to tell me something? I dunno. I was once told by many, haha.. if it ain't broke don't fix it. :blob3: What is that thing anyways? Yea, the blob thingy...