PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Remove HEAVY IVY overgrowth

MFNA
03-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Hey Guys,
Have another "clean-up" job. This one includes heavy ivy over growth mostly on a fence. EXTREMELY DENSE spent 2hrs on it and it looks like I wasn't even there. Gas hedge trimmers can stuck and too thin for chain saw. I have been using Manual Hedge clippers. any better suggestions??

Casey'sLM
03-14-2011, 12:35 AM
If it is on a fence, that is pretty much the only way to do it. Clip it at the bottom and rip off. I had to do it that way with posion ivy, not fun.

Flatop
03-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I've used trimmers on an ivy infested fence. The ivy came from the neighbors fence and grew up and over the other side of the fence. For safety, I use long sleeve shirt and a face shield.

Smallaxe
03-14-2011, 06:24 AM
A machete or corn knife, may work quicker if it is sharp... Are you poisoning the little stumps with roundup to prevent growback? Have you considered killing it with roundup then coming back an pulling the dead crispy vines down theeasy way?

paponte
03-14-2011, 07:14 AM
If you have a pesticide license you should spray it first with a non selective, let it die then remove it. It will be easier to remove once it's dead.

jhouchins
03-14-2011, 07:20 AM
I just did a big job just like this last week. Use brush killer. Ivy has very waxy leaves and it will not absorb any chemicals so you have to take hedge trimmers and cut off the top layer of leaves and have the roots exposed and spray them. Let it sit for about a week and then tear those babies out. It is still not fun even at that point.