PDA

View Full Version : Tremor - HELP!

HBFOXJr
09-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Steve- My wife has a flower bed of Iris that she has let go for years and is an eyesore to all and a personal thorn in my side.

Since they are a tuberous monocot I believe, do you think I could hit the bed with broad leaf control with little to no effect on the Iris? If I could it would help in the restoration or removal process.

tremor
09-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Harold,

How ironic. I've got a nasty Iris bed too. My wife pitched a handfull or two of wildflower (aka weeds) seeds into the thing just to add insult upon injury. Personally, I don't take for Iris's, so if mine die, I won't lose any sleep over it.

I will pick up some Lontrel before we run out of the stuff. As we know, DOW is voluntarily pulling clopyralid from residential use. So if we buy it now with the residential label in place, we can use it until the bottle's empty.

It's not specifically labeled for use on Iris. But read this link & tell me you don't think it would be OK. Our agronomic tech dept is quietly nodding their heads off the record too. I will direct the spray as carefully as possible, as I've done with LESCO 3-Way with no visible damage. I just think Lontrel will be even safer & more effective. Especially where drift can't be avoided.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Library/..\docs\label\L47578.PDF

Let me know what you think.

Steve

lawnstudent
09-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Steve,

this is more of a question than a comment. In our plant science class we've learned that 2,4-D is a synthetic version of the broadleaf auxin hormone. Auxin controls cell elongation in dicots (broadleaf plants). Basically 2,4-D causes broadleaf plants to grow themselves to death. Why wouldn't plain old 2,4-D work on that bed of Iris' (monocots)?

jim

tremor
09-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Jim,

2,4-D would do exactly that. Which is why 3-Way worked so well for me in the past. But Lontrel controls many more weeds & has a little "persistance" that will continue to hold weeds down long after you spray them.

Steve

TurfGuyTX
09-20-2002, 03:16 PM
Thanks Steve, I'm going to start checking this forum more often. I expect to learn from you.:D I've really enjoyed reading your posts.