PDA

View Full Version : MN DOT laws on front truck mounted debris loader

CuttingEdge8684
03-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Just got a new debris loader, 16HP, want to mount it to the front of my 1 ton dump plow mount. I can easily enough weld up a mount etc, but does anyone now if MN DOT laws allow a front mounted debris loader? I heard others in say Maine don't allow it, but other states do. Let me know if anyone knows, or who to contact. Thanks!

djagusch
03-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't know but I would make some calls and get it in writing. Maybe email them a example pic. The sewer cleaning machines sometimes have stuff on the front of the truck which is a positive outlook for it being ok. After you find out let us know.

Duffster
03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Just got a new debris loader, 16HP, want to mount it to the front of my 1 ton dump plow mount. I can easily enough weld up a mount etc, but does anyone now if MN DOT laws allow a front mounted debris loader? I heard others in say Maine don't allow it, but other states do. Let me know if anyone knows, or who to contact. Thanks!

Why would this be any different then a front mounted snowplow?

djagusch
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I would say blocking vision is one way it is different.

Mark Oomkes
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Don't ask, don't tell.

CuttingEdge8684
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm not really concerned about the loader, the DOT may have a problem with the 6" exhaust tube running up and over, blocking some of your view. I'll try to take a picture of a setup into the DMV/DOT office this week and see what they say

STIHL GUY
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
i run one in CT with no problems..im not sure if its legal but nobody bothers me...i dont drive on the highway with it unless i really have to though

CuttingEdge8684
03-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Called the MN DOT Inspections unit the other day. Told them what I wanted to do and they called back with the answer of MN stat. 169.71 sub 1. IMO it doesn't have to do with things blocking the view outside the cab, just inside. None the less, that's their answer.

So, after weighing the pros and cons further, possible clogs in a 10-12 foot piece of pvc, decreased visibilty, possible DOT issues, I decided to mount it on the back of the dump truck. I will post some pics when I finish the setup.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Iv always heard they were illegal here on the front but iv never seen anyone have any trouble for mounting it there. My 20hp giant vac we fabricated into a swing away that sits against the back of the box. Only issue it getting a 700 pound vac mounted is a pain in the ass.

STIHL GUY
03-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Iv always heard they were illegal here on the front but iv never seen anyone have any trouble for mounting it there. My 20hp giant vac we fabricated into a swing away that sits against the back of the box. Only issue it getting a 700 pound vac mounted is a pain in the ass.

i have relatives that are cops in my town and they saw no issues with it being mounted on front

M&A Property Maintenance
10-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Does any one have a pic of their front mount setup? Would like to know how to fabricate the mount for Fisher plates

SP Landscaping
10-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Does any one have a pic of their front mount setup? Would like to know how to fabricate the mount for Fisher plates

I'll take pics of mine in the am

M&A Property Maintenance
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I'll take pics of mine in the am

Any pics yet?