PDA

View Full Version : Selling ad space on truck... Advice

Fresh_Cut
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
OK, I use one of these...
http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2002_isuzu_npr_box_truck_92526382833641811.jpg

and I'm adamant about networking so I'm working w/ this CPA on getting my tax situation in order.

Anyway, I ran it by him that I'm thinking about selling advertising space on the side of my truck, just the bottom 18" split into 2. So to give y'all a visual, it'll be one long strip along the bottom that's 18" high and split at the halfway point for 2 ads on each side.

I told him that I went to high school with the guy that has been doing some graphic stuff for me and he's gonna do some business t-shirts for me and that I may give him the other other ad space in exchange for the t-shirts plus the truck graphics.

My question is what would be a fair price for something like this ad for him to pay me? He's already said that he's definitely interested and to just give him a figure. I don't to give him a price that's too high, but honestly I don't know how advertisers figure their prices.

He said that it would have to be on a quarterly basis, so he could pay monthly and he'd want to draft up an agreement, I said perfect. March is the end of the first quarter so I want to be on this!

What y'all think is fair?

ReddensLawnCare
03-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I have no idea on the add space costs, but are you sure you want to put adds for other companies on YOUR vehicle. There are plenty of companies out there that drive around with adds for companies on their stuff, but I know I wouldnt do it with mine. My truck represents me and no body else. I understand your thinking, "its some extra income" but i guess you need to decide if you really want to do that. You want someone to see your add and think about it...not get distracted by an add for a CPA or some other business.

Lefet
03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I have no idea on the add space costs, but are you sure you want to put adds for other companies on YOUR vehicle. There are plenty of companies out there that drive around with adds for companies on their stuff, but I know I wouldnt do it with mine. My truck represents me and no body else. I understand your thinking, "its some extra income" but i guess you need to decide if you really want to do that. You want someone to see your add and think about it...not get distracted by an add for a CPA or some other business.

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want someone else's information on my truck.

silverwoolley
03-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't really like the idea. I probably wouldn't pay more than $200/month and that truck would have to be out and about everyday.

yardguy28
03-14-2011, 01:20 PM
i'm with the others. i don't like the idea of putting someone elses information on my truck. i don't even have my information on my current truck.

we run lawn and landscaping business not advertising businesses and we aren't nascar racers either.

i also wouldn't want the responsibility of getting the truck around town all the time because the advertisers on your truck want to be seen as much as possible. plus who's to say you take the truck in areas the advertisers want to advertise. and i'm not about to start taking my truck places i don't already work in just because i have someone paying me to advertise there information.

i go where work takes me, not the other way around.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I think it's a great idea! And for the one's that think it's a bad idea, that means you don't have any stickers on your vehicle, like NRA, DU, Mossey Oak, elect so and so or the biggest one, The dealer they bought the vehicle from.
I would think you could get businesses to advertise this way. It's all about branding. The more you see or hear a name the better.

Good Luck,
James

phillie
03-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it would work better with some one you sub contract or that subs you out. I think it would be a little weird to pair a graphic design co. with a lco. For instance, if you just do mowing advertise a fert and squirt co. where you have space. Who knows it may open up some sub work also and you make money both ways. Just a thought but I dont think I would pay more than 150-175/month for the space. T-shirts are cheap, wouldnt be a fair trade to you.

Fresh_Cut
03-15-2011, 02:02 PM
I think it would work better with some one you sub contract or that subs you out. I think it would be a little weird to pair a graphic design co. with a lco. For instance, if you just do mowing advertise a fert and squirt co. where you have space. Who knows it may open up some sub work also and you make money both ways. Just a thought but I dont think I would pay more than 150-175/month for the space. T-shirts are cheap, wouldnt be a fair trade to you.

I paid $250 for 10 short sleeve, front & back, one color, cotton t-shirts two years ago.

Now I wanna get 10 long sleeve, polyester moisture-wicking, front & back, one color t-shirts... they will run about the same.

Also, FastSigns did an estimate for truck graphics for me and it costs $700 per side and $300 for the rear roll-up door. I don't know exactly what application they were estimating but I told him exactly what I would want on the side, basically same design that's on my business card minus my name and email address.

So, if my buddy does it in exchange for the advertising it would be worth $1400 + $250 for shirts = $1650. That's for a quarter (3 months out of the year). Then I'd prolly do the same thing the next quarter but only with more product, some sweatshirts & jackets to get ready for Fall.

yardguy28
03-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I think it's a great idea! And for the one's that think it's a bad idea, that means you don't have any stickers on your vehicle, like NRA, DU, Mossey Oak, elect so and so or the biggest one, The dealer they bought the vehicle from.
I would think you could get businesses to advertise this way. It's all about branding. The more you see or hear a name the better.

Good Luck,
James

well you'd be correct on that. i don't have any stickers on my vehicle. i don't even have my own business name on my truck.

sure it's true the more you see and hear a name the better but i'm interested in getting my name out there, not someone elses.

ReddensLawnCare
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
I paid $250 for 10 short sleeve, front & back, one color, cotton t-shirts two years ago.

So, if my buddy does it in exchange for the advertising it would be worth $1400 + $250 for shirts = $1650. That's for a quarter (3 months out of the year). Then I'd prolly do the same thing the next quarter but only with more product, some sweatshirts & jackets to get ready for Fall.

Sorry to break it to you...but you got robbed. I get Moisture wicking polos, embroidered with my company name for 18 bucks a piece. Plain T's..maybe 5-10 bucks..for a few...i just go to Walmart. Maybe I am missing something?

JB1
03-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I think its a great idea and if you were around here I'd pay you to advertise my lawn company on your truck.

ReddensLawnCare
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I think its a great idea and if you were around here I'd pay you to advertise my lawn company on your truck.

I had the same thought..except for the great idea. To each his own

knox gsl
03-16-2011, 01:10 AM
I think this would work but I wouldn't want to have multiple ads on any one side. Most people would just confuse them. Keep all 3 usable sides with different ads even if they are all for your company, looks as if you have more trucks on the road.

yardguy28
03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
why would one lawn company want to advertise for another lawn company?

even if i were to think this idea the op has was a good idea i would think he would want other industries on his truck, NOT his compeditors.

as a lawn company i want people to use my services not someone elses. so why would you advertise another companys services.

Fresh_Cut
03-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I think they were being sarcastic in order to make a point...

Input appreciated. .......Points made

Bruce's
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I think its a great idea. I've been thinking about doing the same myself.

I don't advertise on my vehicles now and when i use to i never got any calls from someone saying "hey i saw your truck"

Mobile billboards is big business. In some cities you can make as much as $500.00 a week just driving a truck around with a large billboard on the back. So if you sit and think about it, you are already driving around as it is, so why not get paid during travel times. You could ask your equipment dealer if they would be interested or other companies you use.

Dave does lawns
06-13-2012, 08:21 PM
The question of fair price, would be what is it worth for that ad to replace or compete with your companies name on your own truck.

THEGOLDPRO
06-13-2012, 08:37 PM
It all seems like a good idea till the guy driving the truck with your logos all over it is running red lights and giving people the finger for cutting him off.

SouthernLawnCareTexas
06-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I think of it like this, when you drive by someone with just YOUR info on the side you have 100% chance for that potential customer to see your sign. Therefore, leading to more work for you. Now, say you sell 20% of the room on the side of your truck out for adds.. You now only have 80% chance for that potential custom to read your sign and not the adds. So it's just up to you, do you think the money made by adds will be more than a lose of 20% of potential customs seeing your sign? This is just theory, not hard facts. But you understand where I'm coming from.
Posted via Mobile Device

adam.neusbaum
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Now that Winter has blown in how many of us are pulling our lettered enclosed trailers around thinking someone will call us for lawn service when there's snow covering the ground. I'm fond of the 4x8 sheets of corrugated yard sign type. This way as the season changes you change out the sign also. $120 each is not bad. If my compost dumptruck is just sitting there during off-season & I can drive some other businesses ad around for moo-la, what's so bad about that?
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
11-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Now that Winter has blown in how many of us are pulling our lettered enclosed trailers around thinking someone will call us for lawn service when there's snow covering the ground. I'm fond of the 4x8 sheets of corrugated yard sign type. This way as the season changes you change out the sign also. $120 each is not bad. If my compost dumptruck is just sitting there during off-season & I can drive some other businesses ad around for moo-la, what's so bad about that?
Posted via Mobile Device

For $120 per month I'd let my truck sit in the yard. Even @ $240 it isn't worth it to drive the truck strictly for advertising purposes.

adam.neusbaum
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
The cost of the sign itself is $120 compared to the price of graphics is all & a sign is easily removable.
Posted via Mobile Device

jrs.landscaping
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
So what would be the rate to advertise on a truck?

Marek
11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
How are you attaching the signs to the truck