PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Fields

hardscape
09-19-2002, 01:42 PM
Is there anyone out there who is taking care of baseball fields? I am not talking about just cutting grass. I want to know if anyone is maintaining the skinned areas of the infields and the mound. I am in the green industry and because I have a 12yo son I have seen some horribly maintained fields. I have done some groundskeeping on a volunteer basis. Just curious if anyone has found a way to make a business of it.

HBFOXJr
09-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Use to do it 10-12 years ago. Profitable, but not a living and very problematic.

For us, problems were scheduling and weather conditions. Frequently we had to bring in several tri-axle loads of mix and truck it across a lot of turf or questionable areas to get it to the infield. Everything has got to be just right in the spring to get 80,000 pounds on rubber tires across a lawn. Bucketing in with a loader is just as bad becasue you make more trips to get the tonnage. Actually doing the work wasn't much of a problem. We worked 2 hrs to the north and soputh of home and would put the guys up in a motel as some jobs would take several days and 4 hr of commute doesn't pay or make it.

There was not too much competition but we still had the dummies with prices and crappy or no work.

sdwally
09-20-2002, 10:37 AM
We have a crew that does the heavy equipment part of it. We use Lely TurfTerras(horizontal tiller) to break up the hard pack. Then Gill scarifiers with rollers to lightly repack and level the surface. After that it is up to the on site personnel to drag the field when needed. All of the drags are of angle iron construction, some have 1/2 bolts mounted in them so they can be flipped over and used like a light scarifier.
We be expanding are service to include a more ofter light scarifing and fluffing of the soil by using a Cushman(now Jacobsen) athelitic field and bunker rake unit mounted with a Rahn GL650 implement(scarifier, leveler, and broom unit).