PDA

View Full Version : How to price subdivisions looking for a bid to cut grass in around subdivision

GreaterMilwLawnscape
09-19-2002, 04:05 PM
How should I go abouts to bid a subdivision with 52 homes, houses in the 200,000 and up approximently 3 hours of cutting grass a week with 1 person THANKS

Toatlandscape
09-19-2002, 04:17 PM
We need more information to help you make some bid suggestions.

3 hours per house? or 3 hours total? any shrub trimming? any other extras expected? With just 3 hours total then the bid should be simple. Just figure out what you want/need to make per hour and submit the bid.

GreaterMilwLawnscape
09-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Ok there are 5 round circles in the middle of courts approximently 10 min of work each then there are long areas in the entry of the subdivision along the roads so 4 total big sections approximently 1/4 a foot ball field each, then there are shrubs and bushes all over approximently 150 that need to be trimmed spring and fall

Runner
09-19-2002, 07:50 PM
So, you're not doing the 52 homes, correct?

65hoss
09-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Sounds like the common areas. Correct?

My suggestion is get a measuring wheel and take measurements. Trimming linear ft, edging linear ft, sf of cutting, and and idea of time involved to cut shrubs + cleanup. I think we could help out much more then.

Runner
09-19-2002, 09:01 PM
My lack of thinking!:rolleyes: It MUST be just the commons, because otherwise, all the cutting WITH the residentials would put him at just under 3 1/2 minutes per house. Not bad for mowing, trimming, and blowing!:p

wattsup
09-19-2002, 09:20 PM
I maintain a subdivision that sounds comparable. However, it has walking trails, playgrounds, and a pavilion that all have to be maintained. Doing all of those extras takes about two hours per month during the growing season. I also have them on a fert program that is figured into the price, overseeding in fall is also included. Any extras other than that such as fixing irrigation, mulch, seasonal flowers, aeration, etc... are billed seperately. The weekly mow,trim, and blow takes about three hours solo. I have it at $600.00 per month 12 months. I underbid this job. It was bid by three other companies at $600. per with just mow, trim, and blow. Everything else was extra, labor at $25. per hour and the association to pay for all material.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-20-2002, 01:50 AM
3 hours time your hourly rate equils price.

3 X $50 = $150 now you have a price.

Interpertaion;

5 culdisac islands, should take aprox. 10 man minutes each eaqils 50 minutes, so we will call that 1 man hour.

Te rest I have no clue.

Shurbbery....................................:confused:

Precision Care
09-20-2002, 08:56 PM
We try and get $65 an hour with the H.O.A.'s. per man hour. We charge a little more because we moved up 61" and 52" decks which takes a shorter amount of time and the mowers cost more.

kutnkru
09-20-2002, 09:32 PM
As for grounds:

When bidding work such as this to compensate for hassels that we encounter or objects and owners debris to contend with while cutting, I calculate my hourly production rates based upon $100/hr when bidding for mowing, trimming, and bp blower work.

I would usually bid properties at $1/min, but these sites I have found it safer to go with $1.67/min.

As for shrubbery:

Here are some ideas that might help you get an idea of how to price your work, figuring $60/man hr as your rate. All times given include the clean-up.

If you have small sized shrubs under 3' in diameter these will probably take a total of 10 minutes each. These could include the barberry, euonymus, birdsnest spruce, goldthread cypress etc.

Then there are what I like to think of as the medium sized range between 3-5í, which usually are the yews, hollies, yaupons, fuller barberries, and boxwoods. I would recommend that you estimate 15-20 minutes each.

We often have upright/columnar specimens at corners as well. These would be your arborvitae, lelandi cypress, hemlocks etc. that are kept between 6-8' with minimal ladder work to shape the tops. I would recommend estimating about 20-25 minutes each.

If you have hedgerows and the like, I will usually try to block them together by counting individual specimens. If I have 30 hemlocks 8' tall along the curbside and 20 running along the back of the lawn to make a corner hedgerow I might figure 20 minutes for every block of 6. So it might be 5x20 for the curbside, and 4x20 for the back lawn totaling 180 minutes or 3 hrs.

You also are going to have to take into consideration how much growth is going to be removed. Are you cutting a privet hedge way back, or is it a well-maintained evergreen that just needs the new growth taken off.

Another thing to remember is that when you're cutting evergreens, STOP at the dark green layer and donít get too thin.

Hopefully this helps some.