PDA

View Full Version : How to Bid??

bdconsoli
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
I got a call today from a customer that wants some fallen trees removed. There is a 40-50' pine that needs to be removed and two smaller trees (20-25') that are down and need to be cut up and removed. There is also one still standing that needs to come down that I would guess is between 25' and 20'. It looks like it's doable for me, but I have no clue how to price it. I'm not asking for anyone to price the job for me, I just need a ballpark figure because like I said I have no clue how to bid/price this.

Thanks
Brian

ryde307
03-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Hire a tree company and upcharge 10%. You make something for little the tree company becomes a referral partner, and the home owner now trusts you because you told him it was not your normal thing and brought in the right people. Now he gives you more work and everyone wins.

bdconsoli
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I thought about doing it that way but I'm one of three or four guys he's getting estimates from. I told him I'd get back to him by tomorrow afternoon but I think I'm going to have to let this one go.

bdconsoli
03-14-2011, 10:26 PM
By the way I've never done business with this man in the past, so I don't have the advantage of already having a business relationship with him.

ryde307
03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
if you have never worked with him then odds are he wont like you subbing it and that won't work. Your best bet is to probably move on.

Something to think about though is maybe find a tree service in your area or other business that overlap with yours and start meeting them. Most in this industry look at competition is a complete enemy. Thats a problem. Find someone that does things close to what you do you can start to build relationships and will start to pass alot of work back and forth. They will give you god deals that you can mark up and bid on projects like this and still be very competitive. Everyone wins.