PDA

View Full Version : mountinf a leaf vac

Boycea
09-19-2002, 05:45 PM
I just purchased a 16hp highway leaf vac factory direct and i have a few questions.
1.) does anybody use one of these units? if so, how do you like it
2.) is their any way to mount it to the front of an F350?

thanks for all your help

Ax Man
09-19-2002, 10:21 PM
I never heard of that one. Where did you get it?
The problem with a front mount is the tube will be in front when you are driving(poor visibillity)
I can see the advantages though.
I tried mounting my loader under the bed, but there wasn't enough room.
What I ended up doing is a swing hitch mounted to the side rack.
It stays in the center of the back till dump time, when I swing it around and chain it to the side to dump.
This is my third season with this system and it is much easier than the trailer toungue mounted setup I started with.

Good Luck!

Boycea
09-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your insight ax man. I purchased the vac off line from www.highwayequipment.com out of Cedar Rapids Iowa. My local equipment store is selling the models for $2800 and told me that you can buy them cheaper factory direct. I got a 16hp Brigs Vanguard for $1350, which is pretty cheap i am told. I guess they have been producing them for years, but are now just going into ice control and fertilizer spreaders and larger truck equipment. thank you for your help. IS your vac. mounted to your tailgate??
thanks

Ax Man
09-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Not the tailgate, but to a swinging bracket I welded up that attaches to the corner of the truck bed.
I built it so you can still use the trailer hitch, and don't have to lift the thing off to dump.

Boycea
09-19-2002, 11:24 PM
that sounds like a great idea ax man. you dont happen to have any pictures. thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Ax Man
09-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Sorry no pics
pretty simple though.
just a bracket big enough to hold up the Billy goat, long enough to center it on the truck
2" od tubing for hinges with soilid steel pivot pins
( the pivot is a little overkill but what I had)

My dad taught me that if you can't do it right do it anyway.
Well I try to do it as right as possible, but I can't spend a lifetime slapping this stuff together.

Oh Yeah all mounted to a dumping stake bed F350

CT18fireman
09-19-2002, 11:56 PM
My 20hp hangs off my plow frame in the front. Tube runs up and then makes a 90 bend to meet the leaf box. There is a slip fitting in the pipe near the box. This allows it to be unhooked and dumped. Woeks very well in that I can pull right up to a leaf pile. Does not hinder visability too much.

I will try to find a picture. This is a very popular mounting where I am.

Boycea
09-20-2002, 12:01 AM
thanks for all your help ax man. i will defenitley try that out. Do you have any problem with the vac when the dump body goes up. Does it mess up anything with the oil and the gas shifting like that. I have a 1986 F350 with a dump body on it. thanks for all your help. How big is your vac? mine is a 16hp and weighs 300lbs. Will that bracket support that weigh. how do you mount the vac to the bracket. Do you weld it to it or what?? Thank you very much

Ax Man
09-20-2002, 08:14 AM
Since its not running when I dump I assume that there are no problems caused to the vac.

4 seasons so far.

I have the vac bolted to the welded up bracket.
(which is made of 1 1/2" tubing with some angle iron added here and there for effect)

Iv'e got to hook it up this weekend anyway so maybe I'll borrow a digital camera from a buddy

Boycea
09-20-2002, 12:39 PM
thank you Ct18fireman and ax man for all your help. I'm going to try to rig something up this weekend, hopefully it will work. Thank you for all your help.

Do you have any problem CT18fireman with any clogging in the tube going into you box. My local equipment store told me that the tubes might clog if you are going up and over the cab of a truck.

thanks for all your help guys, its greatly appreciated

beck
09-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Here is our leaf vac. 16HP Billy Goat mounted two feet above the bed of the truck. which allows for the starter rope to clear the bulk head. Although we do have to stand in the driver's door to start it. As you can see we can still pull the trailer as opposed to mounting it to the hitch.

BerksLawn
09-20-2002, 04:39 PM
We dont have a leaf vac yet but we do have a fisher swing away tailgate salt spreader. I dont know if you plow/salt or watever but you could probably get a mount from them.

CT18fireman
09-20-2002, 06:42 PM
I have had the suction hose clog. Never the output tube to the box. The material is very chopped after going through the impeller and that would surprise me to have it clog.

Boycea
09-23-2002, 10:39 PM
thanks for all your help everyone. i'm still debating on what to do

thanks