PDA

View Full Version : Trailer light bulbs

peteloare
09-19-2002, 07:18 PM
Im very tired of replacing the bulbs in my trailer. The elements break every other day due to vibration. Any ideas?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-19-2002, 07:38 PM
LED's ............... Anyone know where to find any?

Scotlawncare
09-19-2002, 07:39 PM
you either have a tire out of balance or a bent rim that is causing the vibration. I have never had the problem before.

Scot

Piedmont Lawn
09-19-2002, 07:40 PM
Try this.... http://www.buytruckstuff.com/ledlights.htm
I like LED lights, some Auto Zone store have them.
Kelly

Runner
09-19-2002, 07:45 PM
It sounds like you may have a single axled trailer. They tend to have alot of "bounce". Tandems are quite a bit smoother. If you do or don't have a tandem, check all your mounts, and make sure they are good and tight. You may even want to go as far as mounting a rubber grommet between each mount to help cushion the shake. Also stay away from them when around the trailer. I see people all the time kicking them, using them for steps, etc. Keep the insides greased up, and make sure your holding flanges are good and snug inside. Other than that, you may have to try a higher quality light. I've pretty much alway used the preverbial Petersons, and have had good luck with those, although I don't believe that THOSE are exactly the finest quality lights in the world either, if you know what I mean. I hope this helps! Incidentally, I know some people down there. Are you familiar with a company called K&D Roadgrading? He is a contractor that keeps up several private roads downthere. He makes it big down there.

NBLL
09-19-2002, 09:10 PM
What are the part numbers of your bulbs? There bulbs available for over the road trucks that are heavy duty versions of the same bulbs that come out in cars. LEDs are a good idea too, if you want to make the initial investment and they don't get knocked off regularly.:)

TLS
09-19-2002, 10:55 PM
The lights that come STOCK on landscape trailers are CRAPOLA!!!

In 1995, I rewired and relamped my entire trailer. You wouldn't believe where they had wires running on that thing! I was always replacing bulbs on those cheapo's.

When I relamped, I used all BETTS INDUSTRIES fixtures http://www.bettsind.com/en/lighting/default.asp

They are VERY good quality, and beleive it or not, I haven't replaced one bulb yet since! NOT ONE! I used high quality wire, and ran it in wire loom. Used epoxy filled wirenuts, and silicone anywhere the wire loom passed through the frame. I dont know if Betts sells outright, but my Dad is a distributer and installs them on trucks all the time. They have some nice new LED's but with the performance that I'm getting out of my standard bulb fixtures, I doubt that I'll switch this trailer over.

Good Luck, hope this helps.

greenman
09-20-2002, 12:46 AM
LED lights can be found at truck stops

jeffyr
09-20-2002, 08:07 AM
A search on Yahoo for "Trailer lights" and "Truck Lights" turns up many hits on LED distributors........Nice, but pricy little buggers !

jeffyr

sdwally
09-20-2002, 10:26 AM
We have gotten tried of the same problem. We are slow converting to leds lamps. First we tried using what Napa carries at $75 with a lifetime warranty. Sent a lot back for free replacement. Belive our problem with them is that the operators drop there end gate the last few feet to the ground. Lights mounted on gates.
Switch to different brand that starts with a "G", sorry brain fart this morning. These leds are resin filled and cost about $35 plus the connector, a few dollars.
We also prefer the leds because they are brighter and get your attention. We also have relocated our lamps from the lower outside corners of the trailer to about half way up the ramps on the outside to be more visible.
We get most of our electrical supplies from a place called the Lighthouse which carries only automotive lighting parts and supplies.

NBLL
09-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Clay,
That brand is probable Grote.:)

sdwally
09-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Yes, Grote is what I was thinking of. Grote part # is 53302 for the light and part # 67005 for the connector plug. These lights are lasting for us, since they are resin filled.

turfguy
09-23-2002, 09:49 PM
I have instaled led lights up high on the basket and let me tell you they are great. bright as all hell and you can see them a mile away...I will never go back to to regular bulbs again.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
09-23-2002, 09:54 PM
are you shure its from vibration and not a short or something in the wiring ?? I would check out the wiring first, you may be drawing too much from the truck and burning them out fast...

Or you could try LED lighting.. very expensive mor than twice the prce of conventional lights , but last quite a bit longer...

But I have never heard of lighting going on a daily basis due to vibration ?????

Brickman
09-24-2002, 01:02 AM
I love LEDs. They are brighter, and last many times longer.