PDA

View Full Version : Older Exmark Walkbehinds

NBLL
09-19-2002, 06:56 PM
I have two older Exmark 48" walkbehinds w/13 HP Kaw. I guess they were made before there were models like metro and viking. Other than an occasional belt or flat have had no problems with either mower. I am buying a ZTR to begin next season but will still need to use a wb on some jobs and I want to keep both in service. 1. Has anyone made modifications to any mowers like these to make them perform better, without compromising the life of the mower? 2. Can you change the pulley size to speed up the blades? 3. What can I do to preserve these antiques other than taking them out of service? :)

FrankenScagMachines
09-19-2002, 08:47 PM
Would you like to sell one or both of them? I am just an hour up the road from Louisville, in Columbus, IN on I65. I would come get it/them if the price is right. If interested, email me more info about them and if possible, pics too. Thanks
Eric

TLS
09-19-2002, 09:32 PM
The 13 Kawi is most likely the 12.5 of today. A flathead design with nice torque for its size. You could always drop a 15 or 17hp Kawi twin on them. As for speed, I wouldn't mess with the rpm's of your old 13's as that would most likely result in premature failure. But on the new twins, 3750 rpm's will spin those blades nice and fast.

For some reason the mid 80's Exmark WB's always seemed kinda cheaply built compared to todays models, but if they are working good, why mess with them?

Good Luck!

You could always talk this up with the guys over in the Exmark section. There are a few oldtimers that still work there that can set you straight!

roscioli
09-19-2002, 09:55 PM
TLS- any idea if the 17s will actually bolt up to the exmarks that previously held 12.5's without major work? I have been thinking about that, not that my motor is bad on my metro, but it would sure be fun...

Richard Martin
09-20-2002, 03:52 AM
roscioli, the 12.5 through 17 all share the same mounting pattern and shaft size length. The only thing you should have to buy (beside the engine) is a longer throttle cable and mounting bolts.

NBLL, you can also put 15" tires on your mower to give it a quick and easy speed increase.

Flex-Deck
09-20-2002, 11:58 PM
NBLL and roscioli - I mounted a Flex-Deck on a 1985 model eXmark for Roy Meglie in Sterling IL. and it was a hydro - believe it or not - and he says it doubles its production, and in fact the Flex-Deck sends all the stuff under the main deck and he uses it to Bag thatch in the tight corners etc. when he uses his 855 JD bigggg tractor to dethatch.

Was hoping to find a pic of it - trust me - the mower is so old the deck has been welded together again about 3 times - Here is what the Flex-Deck looks like on a new 36" Hydro Viking-so keep your mower, add the Flex-Deck and have a real mowing machinehttp://36X