PDA

View Full Version : Who has added 120k+ gross sales in one year and how did you do it.

New Leaf Maint
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I want to add 120K+ in gross sales this year to my business. If you've done it or know someone who has, how did they do it.

Did you do the door hanger/direct mailing/brochure thing? How about other types of marketing? Cold calling commercial businesses? Adding services your company offers? Up-selling current clients? Was it one big client or was it many new customers? Was it a whole year marketing plan or one big promotional push?

What did it entail and what was the investment made to make it happen?

Thanks in advance.

aarons lawn
03-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I want to add 120K+ in gross sales this year to my business. If you've done it or know someone who has, how did they do it.

Did you do the door hanger/direct mailing/brochure thing? How about other types of marketing? Cold calling commercial businesses? Adding services your company offers? Up-selling current clients? Was it one big client or was it many new customers? Was it a whole year marketing plan or one big promotional push?

What did it entail and what was the investment made to make it happen?

Thanks in advance.

speed is not the key in this line of work for growing your buss.

wbw
03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
speed is not the key in this line of work for growing your buss.

Can you answer his question? Speed may be exactly what he needs.

meets1
03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Go buy someone out - that will increase your sale fast.

prezek
03-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Are you going from 0-120? 120-240? 1.5-1.62?

vencops
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm always a lot more interested in how much I keep.....instead of how much I make.

Buy someone out, if you want to instantly grow your business.

Good luck.

TMlawncare
03-15-2011, 09:01 PM
If you are under 300k now and want to add 120k to your gross there are a couple of way to do it. One way to do it is purchase a company or a couple of companies totaling 120k or so. This way you can expand and many systems and clients are in place. The other way is to add the 120k to your company. If you are doing less then 300k this will be a huge undertaking that could possibly lead you into bankruptcy. You will have to add employees, equipment, trucks and a very aggressive marketing stategy that may lead to very low margins.
Sometimes slower growth is more profitable and easier to control.

Az Gardener
03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Consistency is key. It does you no good to work your butt off at add new accounts on the front end while loosing them on the back end.

We did it by consistently going through our rotations making sure we didn't miss an opportunity to service the clients. L/S light bulb replacements, fertilizing, irrigation repairs, dead plant replacements, tree trimming, that probably accounted for 30% of our growth.

I also bought a hand-full of accounts that accounted for about 25% of our growth.

Lastly I had a install contractor I had been working on for years to refer me to his clients with recently completed jobs. He finally had it with the guy he had recommenced for decades and he began to send me referrals. That accounted for about 35% of our growth.

The rest came from other referral sources. We went from the low 400-K to high 600-K last year. I should note that I had always been in the 500-600-K range for years but had a supervisor that got a little loose with the irrigation controllers and I lost a bunch of clients due to high water bills about 2 years ago. We turned that weakness into a strength and now we have one of the most aggressive water management programs around. But it has taken me 2 years to rebound.

New Leaf Maint
03-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Are you going from 0-120? 120-240? 1.5-1.62?

I'd be going from 120k to 240k. Last year I went from 60k to 120k and I want to keep up that kind of growth. It will be an adjustment I'm sure but before I started my own company I worked in sales and management of a landscape company that did 1 million+ in sales so I have an idea as to how to get the work done I just was hoping that others could tell me how they grew the business.

I am talking to a guy who is selling his business that would add 150k+ to my business but its going to take a large investment to buy it and I was wondering if there are other ways to get the growth without buying someone out which seems expensive.

nepatsfan
03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
I'd be going from 120k to 240k. Last year I went from 60k to 120k and I want to keep up that kind of growth. It will be an adjustment I'm sure but before I started my own company I worked in sales and management of a landscape company that did 1 million+ in sales so I have an idea as to how to get the work done I just was hoping that others could tell me how they grew the business.

I am talking to a guy who is selling his business that would add 150k+ to my business but its going to take a large investment to buy it and I was wondering if there are other ways to get the growth without buying someone out which seems expensive.

I would be careful throwing numbers around on here if they dont match your I R S statements. Just something to think about

New Leaf Maint
03-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I would be careful throwing numbers around on here if they dont match your I R S statements. Just something to think about

:laugh: Good thing that I report all my sales on my taxes then.

DiscoDave
03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
I sold $650,000.00 in new sales for the company I work for.

The majority was from cold calling, upselling and referrals. We did do some advertising. However, our best ROI is having ME out there generating my own leads.

nepatsfan
03-15-2011, 11:01 PM
:laugh: Good thing that I report all my sales on my taxes then.

I am not suggesting you lied on your taxes. I am suggesting you may be lying on lawnsite.