PDA

View Full Version : Walker drive problem

ksland
09-19-2002, 10:39 PM
I have a question about my 1997 walker. I recently mowed a large hill and about 80% through it would no long climb steep. The hydros are making whining sounds only foward. When in reverse it still had plenty of power to climb. It seemed to get worse. I checked the fluid in the hydros and it was perfectly clean with no smell to it. I am assuming (hoping) That I stretched the hydro drive belts to the point that they slip? Or would this not cause the hydros to whine? I assumed this because I can't imagine blowing 2 hydros at the same time and the fluid was clean? :(

Ax Man
09-19-2002, 10:46 PM
Start with the belt.
I assume your hopper was part full?
It still goes on the flats?

ksland
09-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Thats what I was planning but, it still goes and mows, on flats it doesnt whine only on hills which it still climbs just not quite as good as it was.

gene gls
09-19-2002, 11:41 PM
ksland,

Your problem is due to dust and grit getting imbedded into the belt and the belt looses it grip on the pully. Turn a section over and look into the grooves and you will see shinny spots of grit. The PTO belt for the blades will get embedded also. The drier the mowing conditions the more often you need to change your belts.

Gene

MikeLT1Z28
09-20-2002, 01:55 AM
someone told me the pulleys get worn and it will cause the belts to act funny. not sure about it though. gotta replace mine soon. checked spring tension?

captdevo
09-20-2002, 03:43 AM
if the belts clean, change the spring on your idler, especially if you have a speed-up kit.

a lot of theses were installed without the right spring to compensate for pulley size.

MOW ED
09-20-2002, 02:27 PM
Just what Dave said. I had the same problem and found out that the upgrade spring wasn't in my kit. After installing the spring, it was business as usual.

MikeLT1Z28
09-20-2002, 08:00 PM
which spring is the one to pay attention to? the more forward one at the front of the tractor? i don't have the speed up kit but question the tension on my springs.

captdevo
09-20-2002, 08:16 PM
jack shaft idler spring that tensions the pump belt.

MikeLT1Z28
09-21-2002, 12:07 AM
found it, right after i posted actually. the spring has a gap in it between the coils about 7 or 8 turns from the top. checked the belt and it's got minor cracking but no glazing or dirt.

captdevo
09-21-2002, 12:16 AM
you've got a bad spring! if it's gapped, it's not tensioning.

Ax Man
09-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Don't you love this site? If you need answers, it's a good bet that someone here has allready been there!

ksland
09-21-2002, 08:44 PM
The tensioner pulley pivot bearing was dried up. On the newer walkers both of the pivot points have grease fittings, not the case on the 1997. So a drill, tap and zerk fitting and 15 minutes later They now have fittings. Greased er up, and now tensions properly!. Still a little slip because of the glazed belt now but once I replace it I am sure my problem will be solved. I am also going to replace the spring for good measure.:D