PDA

View Full Version : lumpy zoysia

FLCthes4:11-12
03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Last summer we preped and layed about 4 pallets of zoysia for a customer. It ended up being pretty wet when we layed on top of fresh topsoil. It wasnt putting green smooth but not bad. Now I get an email saying it is horribly bumpy. I went and looked and its rough but not that bad (i think a small herd of goats ran over) i really think he had some tree work done and lots of foot traffic when it was wet. To what depth can you topdress zoysia or any other suggestions??
thanks
Jim

rob7233
03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Did you have any prior experience in laying Zoysia?

It is not forgiving in the prep department like Floratam or others. Zoysia will transfer any flaws in the soil prep work not done and will look bad, lumpy etc.

Like painting a house. Any knucklehead can put paint from a brush to wood. To do it right and have the final finish look great, you must take the time and effort to do the proper prep work first.

Looks like you need to find a sod roller now, if it's already not too late.

03-16-2011, 08:29 AM
this knucklehead has plenty expirence laying all types of sod in the north ga area. However I cant help the amount of people he had all over it afterwards it has been about 9 months since installation. The sod was a very minor part of this drainage and hardscape job, just trying to keep my customer happy and they are very talkative in this neighborhood.

rob7233
03-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Glad to hear you're one of those good knuckleheads, like me. :hammerhead:

I understand your desire to keep the good rep especially with this talkative client. What else had to be done to the sod site to mess up the good install?
Does this client expect you to fix it 9 months after the fact or are you just doing it as a good will thing to protect the company's reputation?

How big is the area and is this client a regular for you? At this point, depending on how soft this area might be, you may be able to soak it down and roll it out. This might already be adding to soil compaction issues - What type of soil is it in your particular area of GA? Just some suggestions. Hard to say w/o being there....

What options have you already considered?

03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Mysteriously he had five basketball size rocks that were mortared in place to "pop" loose and wants me to fix no problem but I noticed that he tried to repair it with construction adheasive. Which tells me he or someone broke them loose. He had some tree work done and I think that caused the damage. I chose not to acknowledge the grass in the email after I looked at it. I also good rent a power roller and help it a little.

PremierT&L
03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Sounds like your suspicion is correct that his workers walked through the sod when it was wet. This has happended to me a few times on new constructions. Your best bet is probably to wet it and roll it with your power roller.

If you're pretty sure you prepped and planted correctly, and it sounds like you did, then i wouldjust offer to repair it at your cost as a goodwill gesture. I wouldn't fix it for free. Good luck.

Patriot Services
03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Let's get this straight. 9 months after a satisfactory install the customer expects you to take responsibilty for soil instability? You can watch the soil move in FL. Is the customer willing to pay for topdressing or rolling? You mention drainage work, was that done by you as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

03-20-2011, 08:31 PM
yeah we done the drainage work. to me it was and really is satisfactory. I he dropped the subject since I made no mention of it in a follow up email. Maybe it will just go away lol.

Montyhall
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Zoysia is pretty tolerant, you can dump the sand on it and it will grow thru it. On our Golf course, i can topdress it till you think its a beach, and it loves it! Roll out the ruts, fill in the low spots with sand, fert the crap out of it!

03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
thanks monty:
Nice honest advice on your very first post. I really appreciate it.

Patriot Services
03-21-2011, 08:49 AM
My question is will the customer be paying for this or is he expecting you to eat the costs. I don't feel this was any fault on your part.
Posted via Mobile Device