PDA

View Full Version : debris removal job

godzilla
03-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Met with a client on Sunday morning, he wants to get rid of an old organic refuse pile. I figure it's gonna fill up a 30 yard can without any trouble. The can could be dropped roughly 200 - 300' from where the pile currently lays. The pile is situated at the bottom of a ravine. I'd have to say that you'd be lucky to get a gator or similar sized machine in there, and that's via a neighbor's driveway. The client wants to see dirt. Now one guy I work with says it's going to take 5 guys with a gator 2 - 3 days using buckets. Somebody else said 3 guys for 3 days just using tarps and rakes.

How would you guys price a job like this?

vencops
03-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Time and materials (equipment).

Any other way of pricing it would scare me to death.

Good luck.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 03:40 AM
instead of a gator, rent a skid steer and make the path a little wider, or a smaller sized skid,, if a gator can fit why cant a skid fit. Get a larger bucket that can hold more volume since leaves arent that heavy(unless they are really wet and arent as heavy as soil). If you average 1/2 a yard per scoop, and it takes you 5 minutes per scoop to pick up, move and dispose. Thats roughly 60-70 scoops to be safe, to get 30 yards of material. 5 min per scoop and thats. 5-6 hours to do it all. Rent a dumpster for 300, the skid for a day 300. And charge him for the rentals and the hourly rate of the skid(whatever your hourly rate is)(lets say its 120 per hour for bobcat fees, 120x6 hours = 720 dollars in your pocket, plus 600 for rentals which is a total job cost of $1,320

Instead of hiring 3 guys for 30 hours each(90 man hours total to do it with tarps) get the right equipment, save the guy money, and get in and out of there in a good 6-7 hours with clean up and finishing touches.

90 man hours @ 35 per hour(my charge) Would cost the home owner $3,150 for the job, plus the dumpster rental and removal fee of $300. So by renting a machine and only you using it. your saving time, money, and energy.

$1,320 in 7 hours vs. $3,450 in 3 days of back breaking work and hauling with tarps

Which would you choose?

Smallaxe
03-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Till up the stuff at the bottom of the ravine, level it off and plant something in it, to make it look nice... Why does someone want to recreate a washout? There is good reason to leave stuff filled in like that, the biggest is erosion control, then there is safety and aesthetics... :)

White Gardens
03-16-2011, 06:37 AM
instead of a gator, rent a skid steer and make the path a little wider, or a smaller sized skid,, if a gator can fit why cant a skid fit.

Which would you choose?

DLONG, your full of good info....

Go rent a mini skid for a day and get it done.