PDA

View Full Version : 2000 f-550 7.3L- WHAT DO YOU THINK?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 04:12 AM
I am in the market and have been for awhile for a dedicated work truck(dump truck for leaves in fall, mulch and soil, and grass clippings year round to pull my 16ft trailer with. I am looking to not break the bank with my first dump truck and looking to have it paid off within a year. Most likely taking a 'loan out' through my uncle or just paying for it straight up. I dont like having any payments and dont as of right now. Everything is paid for and i want to keep it that way while im young at leased. The insurance premium on it is going to be 2100 dollars per year for full coverage with a $500 deductible.

Its a 2000 f-550 with a 2009 8' mason dump. Its get the 7.3L Diesel which i have heard is bullet proof. But it has pretty high mileage. Im not sure if i should worry about it but the price seems to reflect something sketchy. Its from a dealer in Florida that deals with only commercial trucks, they seem to think everything is fine and it has passed every inspection.

The mileage is 147,839. It has new brakes pads, calipers, brake lines, air filters, fuel filter, new mud flaps, and fully detailed.

I like the white color because it will match my 1500. And if i get it i would most likely get the newer lights installed, towing mirrors with side lights, smoke out the cab lights(recon like my 1500) and letter it all up with logo , services offered, and city,DOT, ect.
I would get a 9'6" v plow for it for winter and i would strobe the entire thing out like crazy. It also is 4x4

I would also repaint the undercarriage for preventative corrosion and rust and give it a full maintenance package, all new fluids in everything, and a complete tune up to maintain it so it lasts.

What i am asking, is with the looks and sounds of it, would you purchase a truck for 11,680 dollars delivered 1500 miles to your door off of a flatbed with already 150k miles on it? And do you think its a good deal? I am looking to close a deal within the next three weeks as i am landing a lot of pavers and complete landscape jobs and i dont want to have to rent a truck just to pull a heavy trailer load and not kill my 1500.

Its in florida so i doubt i would actually fly there to just check it out since it will be delivered for free. Ive talked with the dealer and they seem to have no doubts with the truck. To me, it honestly looks perfect for being 11 years old, with zero rust visible on the pictures and only some light rust in the actual bed from materials sliding.

Let me know what you all think.

thanks

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 04:44 AM
or i could go balls out and get this. Same year, 7k more buy it now.

Little much to pull a lawn trailer around every day but i could grow into it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREAT-DEAL-2000-F650-Dump-Truck-148-000-original-miles-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a64202fbeQQitemZ250787934142QQptZCommercialQ5fTrucks#ht_500wt_1182

LR3
03-16-2011, 04:55 AM
The 7.3's are know to be bullet proof. Said to be Ford's best but to purchase something that already has 150k miles is a gamble. I had recently seen a 2000 F650 grain dump on CL with 38k for $15k, it was listed for a year and I'm sure I could have worked the price to $13k. I think if you take a little more time, broaden your search area and remain patient you will find a better vehicle for a better price resulting in a better deal. Just my opinion. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 05:23 AM
i'll keep looking .150,000 miles seems like a lot to me too. But i dont honestly drive that much when im working. My work route totals around 55 miles per week. that includes going to get gas and everything. So for just mowing, im only putting on around 1,700 miles per year. Landscape and Mulch jobs add to that. But right now i am putting around 500 miles per week on my truck, going to school, plowing, and working. If i could eliminate the work miles and stress on the 1500 pulling a trailer, that it turn would last longer(since its already paid off) and i could get most likely 3 years out of this 550 or more, Even if i have to do a rebuild on the trans or engine, or replace them, my initial investment and the future investment of me saving my 1500 for daily driving i think is beneficial if i can get another 10 years out of my 1500 rather than 2 work years.

Here is what i came up with really quick on WORD. For lettering i might do it i get it. I also was looking at CDL, and i want to stay away from Commercial Plates as long as i can. The f650 that i was looking at would be 3100 per year in insurance and wouldnt be very beneficial for a lawn truck, and i would need commercial plates and a cdl

Earlier this year i was thinking about purchasing a 2010 F-350 xl for 34k brand new 1 mile on it. I would then have to get a 4k dump insert if i wanted it to be a dump truck like, and it was a crew cab with no power anything, and the lowest of low. I am thinking short term payoff and long term payoff would be both efficient with this 2000 truck. PLEASE KEEP THE OPINIONS GOING ALSO. I NEED MORE ADVICE BEFORE I DROP 14k after its all said and done with what i want to do.

Here's a quick pic of what i came up with, really rough i know, i just screen shot the images of my truck and copies them on to here.

93Chevy
03-16-2011, 06:35 AM
150k is barely breaking a powerstroke in. If it was maintained correctly, and continually maintained correctly, that truck will last double or triple that mileage easy.

White Gardens
03-16-2011, 07:43 AM
150k is barely breaking a powerstroke in. If it was maintained correctly, and continually maintained correctly, that truck will last double or triple that mileage easy.

Agreed, that's a great looking truck too. If I were in your position, I would pick it up.

Do keep in mind though, that the fuel economy on that diesel will be OK, but isn't going to be something to write home about. The bigger the truck, the heavier it is, and the rear-end gearing will be pretty high.

For the price and what the 7.3's are going for, I would pick it up. The resale value on it will hold good too.

That or hold out a bit longer and find a bit cheaper truck. My first dump only cost me 3k and did 30k worth of business for me in 3 years before I killed it. Even my replacement truck had a plow and salt spreader with it, with full hydraulics for 9k and only 23k miles.

SDelPrete
03-16-2011, 07:49 AM

exactly..with proper maintenance ofcourse. If your only going to put on 1700 miles a year plus other jobs and plowing lets call it 2500-3k That truck will last you longer then 3 years. You could run it for 10 years and up grade. Or run it for 3-5 and sell it for not much less then your paying for it now and up grade. If all is well with it then it is a perfect buy it seems. Did you try to work the price much?

KS_Grasscutter
03-16-2011, 08:11 AM
I would rather have a one ton, guessing ur combined weight on that is gonna be over 26k when u hook up a trailer and that gets u into a whole different ball game in terms of DOT nonsense. And I'm not too sure about buying it without driving it first. That being said, its a dang nice truck and seems like a heck of a good price.
Posted via Mobile Device

IES
03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
I had a 2000 F350 dually that I bought new. You will go thru front wheel bearings about every 60-70k but other than that normal maintenance. Mine got killed at 165k by getting rear ended by a box truck. Best truck I ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I had a 2000 F350 dually that I bought new. You will go thru front wheel bearings about every 60-70k but other than that normal maintenance. Mine got killed at 165k by getting rear ended by a box truck. Best truck I ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device

60-70k miles is fine with me. That is like normal wear on all front ends when hauling heavy loads, even on smaller trucks and suvs.

I offered them 9,200 dollars cash including delivery. I want to see if they will take this. I am going to be putting another 3k into it to make it my own. Im not sure but this might be one of the best deals i have ever seen. There is Zero rust on the body. Zero corrosion anywhere. This is a clean truck. I think i would put lower tool boxs on there, and a 35 gallon aux fuel tank and a 10 gallon mixed fuel tank for the lawn crew. All i would need to do is fab a receiver hitch, it comes with a pintle but not a 2"

Please give me more feedback and let me know before i make a decision on anything.

Thanks

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
I would rather have a one ton, guessing ur combined weight on that is gonna be over 26k when u hook up a trailer and that gets u into a whole different ball game in terms of DOT nonsense. And I'm not too sure about buying it without driving it first. That being said, its a dang nice truck and seems like a heck of a good price.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wasnt thinking about the trailer at all. I am in the class for cdl right now, i just didnt want to have to have the hassle of my employees getting theirs to drive it too, but i guess its better safe than sorry.

The gvwr is 21k my trailer is a 7k , so i am over the DOT weight ratings. I think i would need a B license endorsement, with 26k weight plates, and medical card on board.

It is a very clean truck, and is exactly what i need, being 18, i dont need a brand new truck with a 600 dollar car payment. Even if i financed it over 36 months. The payment would only be 300 dollars. Ya cant beat that.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Agreed, that's a great looking truck too. If I were in your position, I would pick it up.

Do keep in mind though, that the fuel economy on that diesel will be OK, but isn't going to be something to write home about. The bigger the truck, the heavier it is, and the rear-end gearing will be pretty high.

For the price and what the 7.3's are going for, I would pick it up. The resale value on it will hold good too.

That or hold out a bit longer and find a bit cheaper truck. My first dump only cost me 3k and did 30k worth of business for me in 3 years before I killed it. Even my replacement truck had a plow and salt spreader with it, with full hydraulics for 9k and only 23k miles.

Thanks for the input, i have always been a mopar guy and i love dodge trucks, but i wanted to find a good used powerstroke 7.3. Ford is def the way to go.

With regards to a plow or salter ever being on this, it has never even touched a salty road yet , this truck was used for hauling 2 pallets of pool cleaning solution back and fourth 250 mile stretches across the florida border to georgia. It never hauled dirt,rocks, or anything for that matter and the owner says it was 140k highway miles. and 7k city miles.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:01 AM

i am anal about maintaining my equipment and this truck has all its records, from a small dent repair in the hood, to every 4k miles oil change. Every 25k miles fluid changes, and Plugs at 50k and 100k miles.

And the carfax report is a 93, usually 2000 trucks are around a 83-87.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:05 AM
exactly..with proper maintenance ofcourse. If your only going to put on 1700 miles a year plus other jobs and plowing lets call it 2500-3k That truck will last you longer then 3 years. You could run it for 10 years and up grade. Or run it for 3-5 and sell it for not much less then your paying for it now and up grade. If all is well with it then it is a perfect buy it seems. Did you try to work the price much?

thats what i figured to. I dont see the value dropping substancially in the next 5 years with the good engine and the near mint exterior. I will be adding nicer finishs to it also to clean it up.

I talked them down to 10,600 financing and i offered them $9200 cash. With the car being in fl i dont have to pay sales tax either which will save me around $650. all i would need was the title and paperwork. and its mine.

jonathanone
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
If the oil has at least 400 miles on it do yourself a favor and make the deal contingent on a good oil analysis, from our perspective the near perfect condition of the body would make us consider this truck very seriously.
BUT for a truck this clean why is it being sold, especially in this economy??, red flag???

We had a 7.3 up until last year, an ok engine fuel consumption was high, the best engine Ford ever made was the late production run, '06/'07 of the 6.0 psd-yes
I mean that, we have two and at over 50k each they both run like tops, don't use a drop of oil between changes and get an honest 16 mpg. Ford finally fixed the 6.0 then.................

The only thing we don't like is the heui, but again 50k and running perfectly.

And yes to be honest I would rather have a Dmax or Cummins but the Ford ain't bad.

Marek
03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
The GVW on this truck is either 17,500 or 19,000 . Have them send you a pic of the door plate. Truck seems like a good buy. Looks like it will need tires soon. Not sure why anyone would recomend a 6.0 Ford.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
If the oil has at least 400 miles on it do yourself a favor and make the deal contingent on a good oil analysis, from our perspective the near perfect condition of the body would make us consider this truck very seriously.
BUT for a truck this clean why is it being sold, especially in this economy??, red flag???

We had a 7.3 up until last year, an ok engine fuel consumption was high, the best engine Ford ever made was the late production run, '06/'07 of the 6.0 psd-yes
I mean that, we have two and at over 50k each they both run like tops, don't use a drop of oil between changes and get an honest 16 mpg. Ford finally fixed the 6.0 then.................

The only thing we don't like is the heui, but again 50k and running perfectly.

And yes to be honest I would rather have a Dmax or Cummins but the Ford ain't bad.

The carfax report had a mechanic check everything out, it was pretty extensive. I am calling the dealer at 9 to talk about details. I know what you mean with the mint condition exterior, under the hood it even got detailed. But within the engine , ya never know.

what should i look for as wear and tear in the engine that could be neglected? I most likely will have a mechanic up here look at it, before i hand over the cash. They do full returns if something isnt stated correctly in the description.

So i pretty much can have them deliver it, have my mechanic look it over extensively, and then decide whether its worth it or not. All i have to do is drive it back(prob 500 dollars in gas, but a good trip to FL with the Girl for a weekend.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
The GVW on this truck is either 17,500 or 19,000 . Have them send you a pic of the door plate. Truck seems like a good buy. Looks like it will need tires soon. Not sure why anyone would recomend a 6.0 Ford.

the late 6.0's like he said can be tuned to be absolutly amazing and if maintained right can last along time.

I am going to have them send all the pictures to me and go from there. I dont want to regret anything, but with the purchase saving me a dumpster removal fee and 450 dollars per job to rent a HD truck, i already lined up 3 big jobs that can pay for half of it.

zak406
03-16-2011, 10:02 AM
150 is nothing thats a really clean looking truck.. Also I have also heard the 6.0's were better in there later years, however I still would not take a chance. There are two better engine choices out there from the year 2006-2007 Cummins being one of them and the duramax being the other!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 10:19 AM
150 is nothing thats a really clean looking truck.. Also I have also heard the 6.0's were better in there later years, however I still would not take a chance. There are two better engine choices out there from the year 2006-2007 Cummins being one of them and the duramax being the other!

haha, good point. thats a good way to put it. I honestly think that the 5.4L V8 Tritons were better than the earlier 6.0's. They are reliable. My buddy has a 2008 f-350 with a triton and he has around 190k on it. Fleet maintained every 2500 miles but its worth it if you can get that life out of a truck.

Just talked to the dealer about my offer, hes calling me back within the next 48 hours after his boss gets back from vacation.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Well i just got in contact with the salesmen. And was sorta of pushed away by it now. He said he would take 9500 for it if i came and picked it up. But the ad was mis marked and its a 4x2. Which is pretty much out of the questions for Michigan Winters, im not looking to be stuck in snow.

I said i would give him 7k because if i bought it i would have to switch it over. And he was calling around to see how much it would be to get it switched to 4x4.

sorta dissapointed now.

mow king
03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
FYI on sales tax, if you buy out of state you typically don't pay it when you pick the truck up but you WILL pay it when you go to the title office and switch the title into your name.

fobaum
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
I paid $10'250 last may, for my 1998 isuzu npr 14'500 gvw and drove a 1000 miles each way to get it. It had a 135,000k miles now has 142,000 miles. best money ever spent.. That being said thats a GREAT deal for that f550, down here we don' really need 4x4's that much.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
FYI on sales tax, if you buy out of state you typically don't pay it when you pick the truck up but you WILL pay it when you go to the title office and switch the title into your name.

SS OFFICE, i know that. haha

I guess if this is going to be a summer truck i should get it, but i dont really want to put a 6k dollar plow upfront in 2wd. I guess if i have 6k lbs of salt in the back i should be fine on wide open lots, but i dont really want to be spinning around

Do you guys think i should pick it up? for the 4x2. Or should i invest another 10k and get alittle newer 4x4.

White Gardens
03-16-2011, 03:13 PM
SS OFFICE, i know that. haha

I guess if this is going to be a summer truck i should get it, but i dont really want to put a 6k dollar plow upfront in 2wd. I guess if i have 6k lbs of salt in the back i should be fine on wide open lots, but i dont really want to be spinning around

Do you guys think i should pick it up? for the 4x2. Or should i invest another 10k and get alittle newer 4x4.

Na. Save the money. That thing will get around a lot better in the snow then you might think.

Only time I've ever gotten stuck in my 2wd dually while plowing is after our 13 inch snow storm. Even then it was just a few times hanging the front end up on snow. Just took about 5 minutes of shoveling to get un-stuck. That and the previous owner put a posi-rear in it, so that made a huge difference.

My truck is a C3500HD. So it's similar to some degree.

KS_Grasscutter
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I would almost go ahead and go pick it up for 9500 and just use in the summer, keep plowing with the dodge. That seems like an insanely great deal. Nice thing about picking up is u can look it over pretty good before signing the check.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marek
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
What type of lots do you plow ? We run several 4 x 2 trucks in large open lots

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Na. Save the money. That thing will get around a lot better in the snow then you might think.

Only time I've ever gotten stuck in my 2wd dually while plowing is after our 13 inch snow storm. Even then it was just a few times hanging the front end up on snow. Just took about 5 minutes of shoveling to get un-stuck. That and the previous owner put a posi-rear in it, so that made a huge difference.

My truck is a C3500HD. So it's similar to some degree.

The only thing i am nervous about is getting a cheap flight down there and gas on the way back. If i fly down there friday morning, the flight will be like 500 dollars one way. and then another 500 to get gas.

haha, and a place to store it. I have a 3 car garage right now but i don't think a dump would fit. Guess its time to grow in the right direction.

With plowing in 2wd, i guess there is a ton of surface area or rubber in contact with cement and there will most likely be a lot of weight in the back, i think it would be fine. The type of lots i am doing presently is a large car lot, around a dealership, and then the backpacking lot which is pretty much straight all the way, then a couple small markets where all the snow has to go to one location, and then a couple gas stations that i most likely would still use the dodge for those since they are tight squeezes through there.

I wish the season already started and money was coming in, i still have bills to pay. ahhhh.

Its time for the spring clean ups and pavers jobs to start.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I would almost go ahead and go pick it up for 9500 and just use in the summer, keep plowing with the dodge. That seems like an insanely great deal. Nice thing about picking up is u can look it over pretty good before signing the check.
Posted via Mobile Device

The salesmen talked to the owner and said this is the first day the truck is been listed, so he cant lower the price that much. The By it now price is 11k Out the Door.

When its all said and done, i would really like to get a loan. Do a 60 month loan and pay it off at the end of the year. Who knows a good place to get a low rate used auto loan?

Out of state?

mowerbrad
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm going to say a few things....

The 7.3L powerstrokes were really good engines, pretty simple and cheap to fix (in regards to diesel mechanics). They can last quite a long time with proper maintenance.

Its a Florida truck so they don't see all the salt/sand that our vehicles see up here in Michigan, so the condition of the truck is expected to be a little better than our vehicles up here. However, that condition of the vehicle does scare me a little bit since it is so nice. I personally think that the truck could be repainted...it looks too perfect, even for a Florida truck. If you do go down to look at it/buy it, try to look behind the gaskets in the doors to see if there looks to be a different paint behind them. Sometimes when people paint vehicles, they won't get behind the gaskets that well.

With that size of a truck 4x4 isn't really a huge deal. Having a 4x2 will work out just as well. Typically dually trucks don't get great traction in the snow because of how much surface contact they have. Their weight is spread out over 4 tires in the rear, which usually means that they have a lower ground pressure, thus not giving as good of traction. What you want is a heavy ground pressure to gain traction in the snow/ice. This is where the dump bed comes into play, by itself it weighs quite a bit but add some material to it and you have tons of weight in it which gives you the higher ground pressure that you need to maintain good traction. As long as you can add some weight to it for plowing, you will have minimal problems with that truck in the snow.

Watch this guy's 4 videos on buying a used powerstroke. This guy knows tons of stuff about powerstrokes and can give you a very good idea of what to look for if you do decide to head to to florida to check out the truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdmDLsAu61E&feature=channel_video_title

Marek
03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I would rather spend 500 on a flight to look at the truck in person than have it delivered without seeing it. If you fly in and look at it and it isnt all that the dealer claimed then it cost you 1k if its bought sight unseen and there are problems that could have been picked up then its going to cost alot more than 1k. He may say 11k is the bottom line over the phone but if you show up with 1ok in cash he wont let you leave without it. You wont regret buying this type of truck for your business.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I would rather spend 500 on a flight to look at the truck in person than have it delivered without seeing it. If you fly in and look at it and it isnt all that the dealer claimed then it cost you 1k if its bought sight unseen and there are problems that could have been picked up then its going to cost alot more than 1k. He may say 11k is the bottom line over the phone but if you show up with 1ok in cash he wont let you leave without it. You wont regret buying this type of truck for your business.

Good point, i completely understand what your talking about .

Also the video above really helped. I think if i go to FLorida, i will make it a little vacation before the season starts with the gf, stay like two nights in cleaerwater beach and then drive home mon morning. Shes not excited to drive in the rough f550. And if i get it, im a little nervous also to drive it 1500 miles back.

I think i will offer them 9500 dollars cash. Most salesmen see the cash and cant refuse. My dad is most likely going to go with me so he will have a say, but if i do end up going , i will most likely leave friday afternoon.

ColvinsPS
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Don't worry about the mileage. My dad's 01 350 7.3 has 255k and still runs great without pretty much anything major that we know of being replaced.

It sounds like a good deal if you can get it for your cash price but i would definitely consider a 4x4 conversion! I can't believe the gvw is 21k.. most 550's i thought were 19k.

Have a backup plan though. If you get there and they won't take your offer maybe have some flight tickets ready to be purchased!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Don't worry about the mileage. My dad's 01 350 7.3 has 255k and still runs great without pretty much anything major that we know of being replaced.

It sounds like a good deal if you can get it for your cash price but i would definitely consider a 4x4 conversion! I can't believe the gvw is 21k.. most 550's i thought were 19k.

Have a backup plan though. If you get there and they won't take your offer maybe have some flight tickets ready to be purchased!

MY DAD HAS MILESSS ON AIRTRAN!!!!! THANK GODDDDD

The gvr is 19k, not 21k. Also what i think i am going to do, is if they dont take my cash offer, i will put 5k down and finance the rest to get some credit on my name. They cant say no to a loan when your paying for half of the truck upfront. Also, its hard to get a loan on such an old truck. Banks don't have a profession in trucks. I would most likely have to get a personal loan.

Evan528
03-16-2011, 11:26 PM
you right. I had quite a challenge getting a loan for an 07 Isuzu NPR I recenty purchased... and thats with having a credit score of 796. Most banks dont seem to like loaning on commercial trucks. I was told by the dealer they have a hard time apraising there value especially when they have aftermarket beds like a dump on them.

The sales manager told me she would have been able to get me loans to buy 5 new cars because of my credit...... took the finance department several hours to find a bank to finance the NPR.

If you have a decent business history, another option is a business line of credit.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
you right. I had quite a challenge getting a loan for an 07 Isuzu NPR I recenty purchased... and thats with having a credit score of 796. Most banks dont seem to like loaning on commercial trucks. I was told by the dealer they have a hard time apraising there value especially when they have aftermarket beds like a dump on them.

The sales manager told me she would have been able to get me loans to buy 5 new cars because of my credit...... took the finance department several hours to find a bank to finance the NPR.

If you have a decent business history, another option is a business line of credit.

If worst comes to worse, i will either have my dad write a check or my gfs dad help me out and then i will pay them back this season.My uncle offered too but i would rather keep it closer

Its too good of an investment to let it go and i hope i don't let it go to long, like if i cant get there this weekend and maybe have to wait until next thursday after classes are out.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-19-2011, 12:31 AM
so i finally received more pictures from the dealer. Also, with an invoice from the mechanic of work that was recently done. The engine was in good condition full compression, there was a large weld fixed on the dump body, and the oil was changed in the engine, and the hydro oil was changed along will all filters and fluids.

When i get the pictures, it showed a lot more up close shots and i am concerned about a couple of things

#1)The dents on the side passenger door, this was not disclosed at all on the description. should i worry about it, should i try to talk price down from this issue

#2) The dump body bed inside: On the front of the bed, inside it looks like there is another piece of metal around 3'x8' welded on to the front from maybe rust damage or rust completely through. Have any of you seen this before?

#3) The Paint on the underside of the dump body and the frame. In regards to this, all the black paint looks like it was painted over rust. It is very bumpy and isnt smooth at all. I guess my concern is, am i going to have to sandblast, and repaint everything when i get it, or is this just what the consistency of the paint is when they sprayed it at first.

I cant get the dealer to disclose that if they repainted it or not, and other than going to look at it will i know, but what do you guys think.

I can get a plane ticket for 89 dollars one way. My dad is going down to florida tomorrow for vacation and he is going to check it out for me, but he is very mechanically declined. I am going to give him a checklist of what to look for and to ask questions. Then if everything checks out okay he will write a down payment , i am going to bring the rest of the cash when he okays it for me. We are still trying to figure out if i get the dump, where i am going to part it, I may be making our garage door taller by 2 1/2 feet to get tractors and the dump in it because the ROPS doesn't fit in the garage either.

Hopefully you guys can help me out on the concerns i have.

mowerbrad
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
That dump body had to have been repainted. There is just no way that it is in that good of condition for being a used dump truck. The wheels definately look repainted. I still want to say the truck looks repainted too, but its hard to tell just by the pictures. I find it very odd that the dealer will not tell you if the truck had been repainted or not...pretty shady if you ask me.

The truck definately looks like it was undercoated recently. I doubt it was coated over rust, looks just like it is the consistency of the paint/coating. Actually looks very similar to a coating I used on my old truck.

It is very likely that there could be an issue inside the bed where that "plate" is welded on. All the dump beds I have seen are all a one piece floor...no extra supports on the floor like in the picture. I would be very skeptical of whether or not there is rust or damage to that area of the floor. It is a common practice, though, to do a patch job like that. If you can look at the underside of the floor, that will tell you if there is rust damage or if something isn't right with the floor.

Remember one thing...you can paint a turd gold but in the end it will still be a turd.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
i think you share my same concerns. Its a lot of money to be gambling on, but honestly if it gets me through two seasons i would be completely happy with it.

I know you never want to get into something that is going to take alot to make it how you want it, but i can do all the metal work on it, or have a couple of my friends help me out if anything goes wrong. Is there anything EXTREAMLY off on this truck that you can see.

Also, about the dealer not disclosing that info, is because they got it in a short sale, the owner owed 6000 on it and they bought if for 5000 with him contributing another 1000 to the bank. They bought it less than a week ago and are trying to get double what they paid for it.

I think the reason is he doesnt know about the paint job, and says he has checked it himself to see and it doesnt show any signs of a new paint job on the cab body.

stuvecorp
03-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Keep looking, you can find something better without going that far.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Keep looking, you can find something better without going that far.

I dont mind the drive or the distance. I like the truck overall, i just dont want to buy it for 10k then have to put 5k in to make it rust free and no dents(company image is everything to me and if i buy something i am going to make it look presentable with my logo and signage on it with no dents, rust, or corrosion and everything intacked.

stuvecorp
03-19-2011, 01:44 AM
I dont mind the drive or the distance. I like the truck overall, i just dont want to buy it for 10k then have to put 5k in to make it rust free and no dents(company image is everything to me and if i buy something i am going to make it look presentable with my logo and signage on it with no dents, rust, or corrosion and everything intacked.

Do what you want but not impressed with that truck or the price. I would never buy a small dump that didn't have fold down sides.

Shadetree Ltd
03-19-2011, 01:59 AM
lots to comment on.
The 7.3 is a great engine, I will give you my numbers and you can convert. I have an early 99 F350 with 300000 kilometers. On the highway I can squeeze 1000 kilometers to a 130 liter tank. I have an air intake, 4" exhaust, 120hp tuner and built tranny with 295/75/16's. That is great mileage for a diesel that doesn't require ball joints with every other oil change and a tranny every 100000K (dodge). The tranny is the weak link and you should have researched the cost to have a performance diesel shop to install a built tranny just in case. I think the box might have more rust than you think, make sure it is inspected very closely. It looks repainted (white overspray on rear passenger marker light). That would also make me really check for hidden rust or repaint on the truck. The texture you are looking at is nothing, just a factory finish. To me the biggest thing with the truck is that it will last you a long time with the projected mileage you have. It will make you money longer than it will cost you.
To plow in 2 wheel drive for our snow is ok, but we only have wet heavy snow. You will require ballast imo.
A 6 liter by no means is a reliable engine ON AVERAGE. I own two late 05's with regular dealer maintenance and they have combined had both headgaskets done, 4 egr and oil coolers and three turbos. A total of 280000 kilometers on them combined. They are the most unreliable diesel (without aftermarket parts) built since the 6.5 dog. Not saying there isnt good ones out there but they arent as common.
Check all greasable pivot points on the dump, make sure they are tight and look well greased. Also check front tire wear for uneveness. I always really look closely at the overload springs, excessive wear where they make contact means it has been worked.

mowerbrad
03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I do think you will find that there is more to the truck than meets the eye. My guess, is that there is a rust problem (not sure how big/small of a problem). If you are willing to put some work into it, then it maybe okay for you. I have dealt with rust on utility bodies (a nightmare) and it takes alot to keep them looking good and doesn't take too long for more rust to show up...its similar to dump bodies usually (at least from the year you are looking at). And bringing the truck up to Michigan will only accelerate the rusting process. But like I said, if you are willing to put some work into it, you may be okay. Just make sure to check over the truck really carefully to make sure there are no surprises if you do end up buying it.

Here's a picture of a 2000 F550 dump, this is more of what I would have expected the truck to look like... http://www.obenaufauctions.com/April2,2011-2000FordF550DumpDieselAuto117kmi.jpg

LunarLandscape
03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Look at the overspray on the passenger side rear marker light. The bed has been repainted.

cms289
03-19-2011, 10:30 PM
Love the 7.3. Rust might be an issue, and I would never buy something I did not look over in person and drive.... But from the pic it is a nice looking work truck

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I would pass on this one it looks to be re spray. also how do you know what the dealer bought it for. i bought one that an 02 f450 that had 50k on it and plow 4x4 and a built transmission for 19k so keep looking.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Hey guys, keeping you updated on the truck. The dealer finally told me they did repaint the bed, idk what was holding them back. But my dad and his brother are in florida right now for their b-day trip(twins). If the truck hasnt sold, they are going to look at it friday afternoon. My uncle is an owner/accountant at a metal stamping shop for trucks and stamped parts. He has worked with metal and dump trucks and diesel engines his whole life and is going to check it out for me with my dad and test drive it. He has a 2001 f-450 dump that he uses to plow is lot's in the winter.

So if the truck seems to be good to my uncle, i will have one of them drive it home for me so i dont have to waste money since they are already down there.

Also, with all the opinions on here about keep looking, i really like this style (regular cab 8ft bed) because its not super long to back into tight backyards for materials and mulch jobs, and it can pull a trailer without going from driveway to driveway blocking both on small residential accounts.

I dont want a crew cab (maybe the half door in the back) but nothing bigger than 10ft bed either. Smaller the better for me right now in length. I just have been increasing sales in pavers,drainage and irrigation jobs substantially and my 1500 will be dead in a year if i keep working it.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 12:34 PM
To my suprize, my uncle and dad checked it out last night when their flight landed. The dealer was closed but it was fully lit and my dad said my uncle inspected every bit of the metal, welds, and paint job.

Here was his prognosis:
-Frame: in perfect condition from front to rear axle. Slight surface rust but nothing flaking off or rusting through, just a wire brush and some overcoating and sealnt would do the trick
-Cab: 4 golfball sized dents in drivers door, one dent in rear of cab above the back window, a small scratch on the hood, a deep scratch on the front of the lower grille. When peeling back gussets and trim, there was old bolts and paint(no repaint on the cab)

-Interior: Looked perfect to what he could see, no tears, no dirt and grime, floor was vinyl so it will be easy to clean when dirty. There is uplifter switches installed for strobe lights on a consol with 6 other swithes

Dump Bed: Was definitly over sprayed on the passenger size and top where the strobe light is but there is no paint bubbles, rusting flakes or anything it is perfectly smooth. The interior metal piece(that looks like it was loose) is a factory reinforcement from the body manufacturer, it is an extra piece of sheet metal to prevent rust and sitting water. It is galvanized steel 12gau. The interior of the dump looks in rough paint shape but it is a 2000 truck and it can always be grinded down and metal brushed and resealed and painted. Welds on bed are tight, the only concern he saw was some flaking rust on the top of the front part of the bed, under where the strobe light mounts. he thinks this could be from sitting water in that shelf and rusting down from there. He also said if he grinded it down and placed a small weld on the seam it would solve the problem to diminish the rusting any furthur.

The only other problems he found was that the driverside mud flap and diamond place reverse lights, were a little bent in but he could bend it back at his work in 30 seconds.
Also, there there is no hitch, no pintle, 2" reciever, or any backplate. it is stright to the frame.

The dump system on it was well greased, and the paint that i was concerned with has fluid film or a type of spray all over it, he said it was very very greasy and that is normal for a dump truck lift. The hydro pumps all looked good and he smelled the hydro oil and it didn't sound burned. He also said that if any of the hydrolics ever blew, he could replace everything for the cost of the parts and get 25% off parts with his businesses discounts.

If i the truck is still for sale next friday they are going to offer 9500 dollars cash. What we would do with it(with help from my uncle and dad)

-Take it to a Diesel Mechanic and check everything out in the engine and trans before the warrenty and return date is up(60 day 8,000 mile warrenty from the dealer)
-Grind all rust spots down and wire brush entire underside, bottom of bed,frame, and rust spots.
-Sandblast entire truck besides the cab
-Seal the entire frame with corrosive resistant paint.
-Paint with frame paint or a thicker auto paint the whole underside.
-Re-weld some spots on dump body and change strobe light to a bigger strobe.
-Add Diamond Plate Tool boxes to drivers side, and 30gallon Gas Aux Tank and a 15 Gallon Aux mix fuel tank to passenger side.
-Change the gas tank on this to be a bigger 45 gallon tank(34 gallon right now) and tune the engine up.
-Repaint the entire bed with thick white paint and enamel (exterior)
-Repaint interior of bed with rhino liner or epoxy paint.
-Change exhaust(maybe)
-Order Intake(maybe)
-Get the truck vinyed completely and lettered fully up.
-Get a hitch bracket fabed up with a pintle and 2" reciever, and also get another swing mount for my leaf loader build for fall and spring clean ups easily removable.

My budget is: $13,000k
What do you guys think, did i miss anything

Spend around another 3-4k to get everything looking perfect

outlaw1960
03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Good plan, from what your Uncle an Father say the truck sounds nice. I have 2 7.3l and love them. Not going to win many races but they are good solid workhorses. Have them check the glow plug relay, fuel filter o-rings and turbo pedestal o-rings......some of the most common problems on these engines. Good luck with your decision.

mowerbrad
03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
It does sound like the truck is in pretty good condition with minimal problems, other than some, what seems to be minor/moderate, rust. Remember that with Michigan winters, rusting will be accelerated, so make sure things are protected/sealed well.

I know you were saying that you only need this truck to last you a couple years, but it would be much smarter if you can use this truck for several years (5+ years). No sense spending $13k on a truck only to want to keep it for 2 years.

If you do get the truck, remember to only put the necessities on it to start. You want to put lots on it, but you may really find out how easy it is to blow your budget and fast. So get the stuff you really need done, done first and then work on the other stuff.

bengaginc
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
my father has a 2000 f550 with 272,500 miles still hauls 6k fine yes it has a 7.3

Shadetree Ltd
03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
There is uplifter switches installed for strobe lights on a consol with 6 other swithes

RED FLAG. What are all the switches for? They tell a whole story as to the trucks useage. I would also really check uner the dash and hood and see how much of the original wiring has been hacked. I wouldn't worry about all the cosmetic stuff until it has made you some money. If your budget is 13k I wouldn't spend to the limit until you have driven the truck for at least 6 months in case of any mechinacal breakdowns. A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.

White Gardens
03-20-2011, 07:10 PM
A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.

Exactly. The truck looks respectful enough as it is.

Even though we like to have our stuff looking good, it doesn't have to look good to make you money.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
It does sound like the truck is in pretty good condition with minimal problems, other than some, what seems to be minor/moderate, rust. Remember that with Michigan winters, rusting will be accelerated, so make sure things are protected/sealed well.

I know you were saying that you only need this truck to last you a couple years, but it would be much smarter if you can use this truck for several years (5+ years). No sense spending $13k on a truck only to want to keep it for 2 years.

If you do get the truck, remember to only put the necessities on it to start. You want to put lots on it, but you may really find out how easy it is to blow your budget and fast. So get the stuff you really need done, done first and then work on the other stuff.

Im not saying i dont want it to last long, but if i get two good years out of it, it will be paid fully off with one year of profit and i'll be happy.

Thanks for letting me know about the necessities. I am definitly going to have the engine and trans, and everything mechanical looked at with my uncle and at his buddies shop.

I am working on a budget:
Truck: $9500
Maintenance,preventative maintenance, and inspections from top to bottom: $1500
Tanks, tool boxes, strobes, and hitch metal for fabrication of back plate: $1000
PAINT AND CORROSIVE SEALANT: $1000

The paint, sandblasting, and sealing is all going to be done at my uncles business. He has all the machines for media blasting, chemicals that they spray for car parts with after the stamping process for corrosion resistance. Then we will paint in his booth also.

all the welding will be done also by him, to make sure its all right, and one of his employees is really good at getting dents out of trucks so he's going to work on that.

I most likely will wire brush and paint the dump interior with heculiner or rhino lining or a thick paint but smooth for easy slidding.

I know there will be things down the road for maintenance and upkeep, but im not saying i only have 13k in my savings. I have pleanty of emergency truck and equipment money from the start. Thats why i have a yearly budget in January of Each each for things like that.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Exactly. The truck looks respectful enough as it is.

Even though we like to have our stuff looking good, it doesn't have to look good to make you money.

iknow i know i know....I just dont like customers seeing me pull up to their million dollar home in a beat up dump truck. I like to look classy and sport clean equipment. I guess i dont like to show my customers crappy equipment because im not a crappy service, if i am doing great work, then my equipment should look great also.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 10:51 PM
RED FLAG. What are all the switches for? They tell a whole story as to the trucks useage. I would also really check uner the dash and hood and see how much of the original wiring has been hacked. I wouldn't worry about all the cosmetic stuff until it has made you some money. If your budget is 13k I wouldn't spend to the limit until you have driven the truck for at least 6 months in case of any mechinacal breakdowns. A pretty work truck broken down is just a broken down work truck.

Not to worry. The wiring hasnt been fussed with. It was professionally installed at a ford dealer. Has recipts and eveything. It was for the top strobe and the rear marker lights, because they have a wigwag pattern. None of the wiring inside the truck was fussed with, just a new line from the battery to the switches, grounded, and to the lights.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Good plan, from what your Uncle an Father say the truck sounds nice. I have 2 7.3l and love them. Not going to win many races but they are good solid workhorses. Have them check the glow plug relay, fuel filter o-rings and turbo pedestal o-rings......some of the most common problems on these engines. Good luck with your decision.

i will put them down on my list for the mechanic when it comes home..... hopefully it doesn't sell

Capemay Eagle
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Sent you a PM

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Sent you a PM

thanks for the input, i really appreciate it man

cms289
03-22-2011, 09:01 PM
So, did you get it?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
So, did you get it?

Sorry for the delay, i thought i was gonna go down this weekend. But i want to hold off until my dad test drives it this friday.

When i called the dealer yesterday, my third call with a different person on the phone, they said a guy from michigan is going to come down and look at it(which was me). Which made me laugh. I talked to the dealer owner finally and he said that if i doesn't sell before friday that he is willing to give it to me for $9,750. I got so many more pictures sent today, and actually just landed a 35k job, tear out, new lawn(15k sq/ft), small patio, and irrigation.

I am going to NEED the truck in april. My dad is going to be driving it friday and i will let you know if he is going to drive it home, or leave it there to get compression checks, trans checks, and tune up at a diesel mechanic down there before i make any transaction.

If everything checks out alright, i will be having the shop fab up a hitch mount down there, then i will fly down and get it saturday morning and stay for a couple days.

I will keep this forum updated.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Quick question for you guys.

What do you think of the 2005 6.0 diesels? Are those the crap ones?

There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.

mowerbrad
03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
The 6.0's got a very bad rap from the start, especially the first two years that engine was out. For those engines, the 06's were "better". Really, in order to make those engines as reliable as the 7.3's, you would have to do some mods on them, which don't come cheap. One of the ambulances at the company I ride with just had it's 6.0L diesel replaced, its an 06 too. The ambulances with the 7.3's haven't had new engines installed yet as far as I know and they are from '97, '00 and '02.

I would go more for the 7.3 and see if you can get that first.

White Gardens
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
There is an 05' f550 stake dump, with 147k on it with the 6.0 diesel. Looks like mint condition in person.

Unless you plan on getting a CDL, I would stick with an F-450. Even with the F-450, you'll only be able to pull a 10K equipment trailer and stay under CDL range.

That and the F-550 will cost that much more to license every year.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Unless you plan on getting a CDL, I would stick with an F-450. Even with the F-450, you'll only be able to pull a 10K equipment trailer and stay under CDL range.

That and the F-550 will cost that much more to license every year.

I am planning on getting an f-550. Licensing and plates are 315per year , and an f-450 is only 58 dollars less. Also the insurance is right around the same, i've checked.

The f550 gvw is 19k and my trailer is 7k. It is one pound underneath CDL which is 26,001 lbs.

and i will definitly not get the 2005 6.0

White Gardens
03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I am planning on getting an f-550. Licensing and plates are 315per year , and an f-450 is only 58 dollars less. Also the insurance is right around the same, i've checked.

The f550 gvw is 19k and my trailer is 7k. It is one pound underneath CDL which is 26,001 lbs.

and i will definitly not get the 2005 6.0

What if you are going to pull bigger equipment? Just throwing that thought out there for you.

For example, if you are pulling moderately sized skid steer, you'll be over-weight on a 7k trailer if it weighs 2k to begin with.

Shadetree Ltd
03-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Get the 550. The actual capacity of the 450 is significantly lower when they have a heavy contractors body. You may have the proper license but you will be overweight which is even worse. Get the 550 and plan on getting the proper license required to pull a bigger trailer.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
What if you are going to pull bigger equipment? Just throwing that thought out there for you.

For example, if you are pulling moderately sized skid steer, you'll be over-weight on a 7k trailer if it weighs 2k to begin with.

good point. I guess i most likely wil be getting either a 331 excavator and/or a t190 or t200, for demo jobs and paver jobs in the next two years. So i will need a CDL. The only thing that sucks is the fees and medical card to carry around.

I want to keep my loads under 26k for as long as i can. When i have to trailer machinery i could just used my trialer and dodge ram, it handles the weight perfectly. ;/

stuvecorp
03-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Get the 550. The actual capacity of the 450 is significantly lower when they have a heavy contractors body. You may have the proper license but you will be overweight which is even worse. Get the 550 and plan on getting the proper license required to pull a bigger trailer.

Well said!

stuvecorp
03-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Quick question for you guys.

What do you think of the 2005 6.0 diesels? Are those the crap ones?

The later years of 6.0 seem to be better. I would prefer the 7.3 but my 07 6.0 does the job and love the tow/haul transmission setting.

Chop Stuff Up
03-24-2011, 05:44 AM
I had an 03 F450 with a 14ft box on it, that thing didn't turn worth a crap, but I guess anything above 1 ton is like that. Only other issue was transmissions, the 2nd one was going out at 170k miles. It was a V10 gasser though, not sure if they use the same trans. The 7.3's last forever, and that looks like a nice truck. Check out the shape of the oil pan while you are at it, I've seen them rust out. You have to remove the engine to replace the pan and it aint cheap. I guess the salt eats them up.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
I had an 03 F450 with a 14ft box on it, that thing didn't turn worth a crap, but I guess anything above 1 ton is like that. Only other issue was transmissions, the 2nd one was going out at 170k miles. It was a V10 gasser though, not sure if they use the same trans. The 7.3's last forever, and that looks like a nice truck. Check out the shape of the oil pan while you are at it, I've seen them rust out. You have to remove the engine to replace the pan and it aint cheap. I guess the salt eats them up.

my 1500 dodge doesnt turn very well either. I have to go back and fourth and i am not an idoit like most people when it comes to parrallel parking and reversing trailers.

Im not really worried about turning radius.

Dad is looking at it tomorrow night again, i'll be making a desion in the next 48 hours :eek:

im excited as hell to get this, becuase i have lined up like 10-12 lawn renovation tear ours and re-sod and i can take all the material away with the dump and bring in free top soil from the city to my jobs. I have also sold around 65 yards of mulch so far. Things are off to a great start this year, i just need a dump.

mklawnman
03-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I would say jump on that deal, no rust to deal with on that 10 year old truck, just check the transmission to make sure the fluid looks clean and smells clean. I have 2 7.3L's and if anything does happen to go wrong on them it seems like they are easy to work on and lots of people know the in's and outs of that motor.
About the oil pan, Im sure the one on that truck might be in good shape since it hasnt seen any salt but check on it. I had to replace mine last year on my 250, dealer wanted $2500 to replace the pan. I found a guy who did it for $1,300 and didnt have to remove the motor, just jacked up the engine enough so the pan can clear the cross frame. But that truck is a 02.
The balljoints will need attention as well and make sure you get greeseable ones. But thats general front end work that is expected if you were to put a plow on the front of any truck.

Travel'n Trees
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
No way highest tsb's of any vehicle ever made for a long time. It is hard to profit with these trucks save up and buy a cummins or a Duramax. Mileage and reliability and power are so much worth it. Ford overated their trucks very bad. I would compare my old 2000 f-550 to a little lighter duty than my 2001 Duramax 2500. Injectors, wiring harness, fuel filters, cam sensors, fuel rails, front end alignment, plastic bearings, turbos, glow plugs, transfer cases loosening up and falling out on highway, transmissions, power window motors, cam sensors, the motors are good it is Fords shortcuts that screwed these trucks up! I only had mine 3000 miles and had to sell it. It was our companies boat anchor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lurch01
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Looks Very Professional. I want one.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-29-2011, 12:48 AM
No way highest tsb's of any vehicle ever made for a long time. It is hard to profit with these trucks save up and buy a cummins or a Duramax. Mileage and reliability and power are so much worth it. Ford overated their trucks very bad. I would compare my old 2000 f-550 to a little lighter duty than my 2001 Duramax 2500. Injectors, wiring harness, fuel filters, cam sensors, fuel rails, front end alignment, plastic bearings, turbos, glow plugs, transfer cases loosening up and falling out on highway, transmissions, power window motors, cam sensors, the motors are good it is Fords shortcuts that screwed these trucks up! I only had mine 3000 miles and had to sell it. It was our companies boat anchor.
Posted via Mobile Device

you are the first person to ever day anything that negative about a ford. Every truck year has their issues but transfer cases loosening up and fallout out? I mean, come on. That is what maintenance if for, i can see all this happening if it was never maintained. This truck was fleet maintained with the city of jacksonville. It has 16 pages of records all done at ford dealerships. Oil every 6k miles, fuel filters every 10-15k.

Update: It is a a FORD dealer right now getting a full compression test, diagnosis, all mechanical and electrical inspection and checks, diesel tune up. Suspension checked and replaced what is needed, all oils changed, new brakes and brake lines. I put a deposit on it since everything checked out good with the inspection from a ford mechanic, waiting on the compression and injector tests. If anything is wrong, dealer is fixing it.

I just have to figure out when i am going to go get it. Packed schedual and flights are expensive with spring break being so close, i might getting mid weed next week with the girl. and stay til sunday or so, a little vacation before cleanup start. Or might fly down friday and drive home on the weekend and take my time. Flights are around 215 on weekend, or 9 dollar southwest flight on tuesday of next week. Dad used his miles for washington dc with my family for spring break and is leaving me home. yay

I will let you guys know what happens and post pics as soon as i get it.

newjerseylandscaping
03-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Delong any updates?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Delong any updates?

.....i updated it two days ago...Its at the mechanic right now, like i said, should be done by wednesday at the latest. If it checks out im going to fly down for the weekend and drive it back.

Insurance is the next step, i have to be signed and insured before i'm driving it anywhere.

i will update when i hear back from the ford mechanic on wednesday

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I FINALLY HAVE AN UPDATE FOR YOU GUYS AND THERE IS NOT GOOD NEWS HERE!

After being at the ford dealer getting inspected and tested and fully diagnosed there is a laundry list of what is wrong. Almost $4500 dollars in repair's need before i could even drive it off the lot. The dealer dropped it off at the ford dealer with zero gas in it first off so they couldn't even take it for a drive.

Here is what is wrong with it:
-Rear view mirror is missing
-Emergency brake and regular brake rubber on them are missing
-Engine did have full compression and all injectors were working fine
-Idled fine
-Slight oil leak in the engine
-Slight oil leak from oil pan
-Front and Rear Rotors are completely gone almost, needed to be replaced 5k miles ago
-Tail Shaft is leaking from the seal(needs new seal)
-Water pump needs to be replaced(leaking way to much)
-Left front ball joints need to be replaced
-THERE IS NO SWAY BARS ON THIS, they are completely removed
-Both inner dual tires are flat with puncture holes, wont hold air at all
-Air filter and Fuel filter need replacing
-Tail Lights, middle three aren't working, and two on each side aren't working(only 2 out of 9 lights are working
-Clearance lights the two outside lights aren't working
-Marker lights on bed are all out
-there is 6 small dents on the drivers door
-one large dent on hood
-Whole truck has been repainted and has runs in the paint
-Hydraulic hose for the dump is leaking and need a new hose

The ford dealer gave me an invoice to fix everything so i could show it to the dealer was going to buy the truck from. I just called the dealer, which earlier they had their local mechanic look over the truck, change the brakes and rotors, change a hydraulic hose, and we agreed that if i was paying for the inspection they would fix everything that was wrong with it, because THEY WERE SURE that nothing would be to serious.

I emailed the invoice to the dealer and they pretty much told me to go f myself. He said i should go by a new truck if i want everything working properly. I told him that he is a 'certified used car dealer' and he tells a buyer who has cash and plane tickets to come down there to f off. When previously he said he would work with me and fix everything that was wrong. The inspection was going to cost me 190 and i had no problem paying that for the piece of mind that everything is mechanically sound, i don't even car about the marker, tail, and cab lights, or the brake pads or rearview mirror. I told him i would buy the truck if they fixed everything that was leaking and replaced the fluids and brakes and tires on it.

He said he is going to sell it as is and i refused to pay the inspection it if they aren't going to fix it like they said they would. They have none of my information, only a phone number. Is this bad of me to do? Since they didn't come thru why should I?

Let me know your guys thoughts.

newjerseylandscaping
04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a schetchy dealer. Another will come soon enough

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a schetchy dealer. Another will come soon enough

hopefully soon, i have 40 yards of mulch needed to be completed by May 1st! and another 60 yards by May 21st.

I might just get a dump trailer BUT I NEED A WORK TRUCK. Not a 1500 ram. There is a brickman truck for sale for 6,000 dollars with a 7.3L with 87k miles on it. Its got a flat bed dump though. And its a crew cab. Very Large wheel base

newjerseylandscaping
04-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Not the best for plowing imo. are 4wds rare there? in the dump venacular?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Not the best for plowing imo. are 4wds rare there? in the dump venacular?

4x4's in michigan? are you kidding? If you arent plowing with 6k lbs of salt you would be sliding everywhere with 4x2 with a light truck

for an f550 plowing would be fine, for a 1500 4x2 would be awful

How do you know how goo plows and plow trucks are from not ever plowing in a plow truck? Your starting out this year right? And your trying to give advice about how trucks plow? It depends all on how you outfit them. If you take a 1500 and put a 9ft blade on it, obviously it will strain and spin tires because the car is so light. If you take a 16k lb f550 and put a 9ft blade on it, it would push no problem.

What experience do you have with plow trucks?

supercuts
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
only read the 1st page, one huge thing to check is the fuel tank, they delaminate and whipe out fuel pumps, sending units, injectors, the tank is $900 alone. one of fords great screwups, 100yrs in business and they cant make a fuel tank. it happened twice to mine in 2 years. its costly to be repaired too. everyone around hear is going though it at least once on them.

also, the GVW should be no more than 19K. good luck

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 10:44 PM
only read the 1st page, one huge thing to check is the fuel tank, they delaminate and whipe out fuel pumps, sending units, injectors, the tank is $900 alone. one of fords great screwups, 100yrs in business and they cant make a fuel tank. it happened twice to mine in 2 years. its costly to be repaired too. everyone around hear is going though it at least once on them.

also, the GVW should be no more than 19K. good luck

guess you didnt read the previous post like 4 post ago. Everything that could be wrong with it, WAS, and some!

newjerseylandscaping
04-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Delong, WHen i posted that for some reason i was thinking you were from some were else. Also, In the past three years ive made it a point to find out as much information about the industry from mulch ing to plowing and everything in between both from personal experience and trough reasearch. The maijor point of my opinion of that long of a wheel base is based on 3 things. 1.acording to most guys on plowsite they can be pain to plow with. 2. i went plowing with my neibore 3 times this year. there was another guy that plows with him with a crew cab dump. He slid all over the place. Number three is based on plowing with my neibeir. He has a 350 crew cab with the 8 foot bed. He uses it for contracting and plowing. He said i it wasnt for e has 2 kids and possibly wants more and that he need an 8ft bed hed have the six foot bed. any way just my opinion. Take it for what its worth, i can only pass on what ive acknowlaged trogh the past few years.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Delong, When i posted that for some reason i was thinking you were from some were else. Also, In the past three years ive made it a point to find out as much information about the industry from mulch ing to plowing and everything in between both from personal experience and trough research. The maijor point of my opinion of that long of a wheel base is based on 3 things. 1.acording to most guys on plowsite they can be pain to plow with. 2. i went plowing with my neighbor 3 times this year. there was another guy that plows with him with a crew cab dump. He slid all over the place. Number three is based on plowing with my neibeir. He has a 350 crew cab with the 8 foot bed. He uses it for contracting and plowing. He said i it wasnt for e has 2 kids and possibly wants more and that he need an 8ft bed hed have the six foot bed. any way just my opinion. Take it for what its worth, i can only pass on what ive acknowlaged trogh the past few years.

Reading and listening to someone who has never plowed with a dump truck doesnt mean you are a viable source, i get that its your opinion and i have went over the pro's and con's of all the feature on a dump. The pro's far outweigh the cons and regarding plowing, if you arent foot happy with the accelerator, with an 18k lb loaded vehicle your not going to be sliding anywhere if you know what you are doing. I have plowed in around 10 trucks, and have a network of people in my area that have a plethora of different trucks.

Also, what is your NEIGHBOR talking about..... If he had kids he would need a crew cab with a back seat and short bed. How does having kids make him need a 8 foot bed? is he hauling them in the back of the bed?

I respect your opinions but it has nothing to do with anything about the update or thread. Also,just an piece of advice, it looks really unprofessional and immature when you spell almost all your words wrong and with no grammar or good punctuation.

Get some sentence structure,grammar and punctuation so people can understand what you are saying.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Also the wheel base in the dump i was looking at was 164". That is only 20" Longer than my 1500 and in now way 'too long' to plow.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-08-2011, 01:28 AM
looks nice Outside lol
I have 99 F350 dually 9'6MVP with pro-wing kit with heavy flatbed. I push lot snow in 2wd, only lock it in when i need it
Now my other trucks single wheel lock in all time to push

P.Services
04-08-2011, 01:30 AM
I plow with a crew cab f-450 with a 9' bed. I put a 3,000 pound block on the back and its my favorite truck to plow with by far. The thing never gets stuck and pushes like a d-8 cat.

On second note I don't think the things with that truck are really a deal breaker. If you could get them to put 2 new tires on the back I think you would be fine. The lights and seals are both easy fixes, the paint.......its a work truck......the dents....same category, the brakes are a easy cheap fix. Keep in mind the dealer is giving you ford parts and 75 dollar an hour labor rates. You do the work yourself with auto zone life time parts and I bet you can have the truck in tip top shape for well under a grand more. Probably 400-700 more.

Don't discount a c4500 or c5500. Those things turn on a dime, great for plowing justy harder to find cheap. A guy on this site had one forsale with a nice price.
Dlong I got your pm I will send you one shortly.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Picasso, thanks for backing me up. And i'm waiting for your pm :)

With that truck, i know its something that can be fixed but i need to put the truck to work as soon as i get it. I dont want to purchase a 10k truck and then have to end up putting another 2-3k into it. I dont know how to do much regarding seals and wouldnt want to screw anything up more than it already is, it also needs a new water pump, but idk how much those run either.

I guess what i am trying to say is im being cheap,i dont want the headache, it can be someone else's problem when the dealer doesnt tell them any of this and they are SOL. and stuck with a leaking truck.

Im with ya on the paint, i would just undercoat the whole truck if i got it for our salty roads in the winter. Its clean enough to put my logo everywhere on it and cover up some imperfections with vinyl.

JPsDuramax
04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
It did look nice, but looks can be deceiving. : ) We were looking for a dump last year. There are some really nice trucks for great prices. We got an International 4900 flatbed and added a hydraulic dump. Replaced all tires and some minor maintenance issues (shocks, inner wheel well) were all that was needed to get her on the road. Total Investment of 15k. I know you're looking for a smaller truck, but wanted to let you know there are GOOD deals out there. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-08-2011, 08:14 PM
It did look nice, but looks can be deceiving. : ) We were looking for a dump last year. There are some really nice trucks for great prices. We got an International 4900 flatbed and added a hydraulic dump. Replaced all tires and some minor maintenance issues (shocks, inner wheel well) were all that was needed to get her on the road. Total Investment of 15k. I know you're looking for a smaller truck, but wanted to let you know there are GOOD deals out there. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for the knowledge, i am trying to keep my head up and find a good deal. The problem is i am running out of time. I dont want to have to go buy a dump trailer because i cant find a dump truck i like. Theres a bunch on ebay and craigs but nothing that isnt rusted out a ton.

My budget is 13k for everything including fix ups, travel, and gas to get back.
Florida will cost me 500 dollars for a flight down there, hotel room, meals, and gas home will be another 500 dollars. Yikes

P.Services
04-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Dlong, i will start looking around for good deals also.

dont rule that brick man truck out, they are nice.

LunarLandscape
04-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a 2005 Ford F-550 6.0 diesel with 95,000 miles. Runs and drives great. It has a 16 yard grain dump box on it, with a swing rear gate. full central hydro for the pto. Clean truck nice interior. I am looking at getting a 2011 F-450. I am asking 15,000.00 For the truck. I am right out side of chicago. Give me a call at 847-530-549 eight.

White Gardens
04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Here's a post for you also.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=347425

Don't care for the extended cab, but might be worth it.

P.Services
04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I was just coming on to tell him about that same truck over on plowsite. I think if you can get that for 12 it would be worth buying. That's a nice one for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I was just coming on to tell him about that same truck over on plowsite. I think if you can get that for 12 it would be worth buying. That's a nice one for sure!
Posted via Mobile Device

Not too bad looking for sure. I'm not a fan of the Grain-box on these trucks though as the sides are pretty high to dump into. With my mini-skid it just wouldn't be effective. But, for brush and mulch it would work good.

I still can't believe what I got my truck for last year compared to some of the prices I've seen for F-550's, F-450's with no equipment to speak of.

Hope you find a truck DLONG, we're helping you out as much as we can. Thumbs Up

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-11-2011, 12:43 AM
thanks guys for all the help. I really apprciate it.

i like the truck but I talked to the guy who owned the blue truck and it was a stick shift. Im not gonna plow with a stick. Way to many things to worry about: Shifting, plow control, salt spread rate and making sure im not hitting anything. Plus reverse and drive back and fourth.

I am looking at a couple trucks and hoping picasso has some good news for me from his buddy.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
ALRIGHT. Here goes another round of questions. I have been driving all around Michigan from all the craigslist adds i have seen and nothing in Michigan is worthy so far. I have been talking with this guy in Northern Illinois for about two weeks now, he has sent me countless pictures, the scan of the title, all the work that has been done to it, and all the oil changes since he has owned it (3 years long).

The truck is a 2002 F-450 11' Contractors Dump Bed.
Features:
-7.3L Diesel with 126k
-Airbag System with on-board compressor
-9'6" Western Ultra-mount Poly V Plow
-2 yard snow ex salter
-36" Under body tool box
-4x4 Automatic Build tranny 15k miles ago
-New Water pump
-New brakes and brake lines
-New rubber
-Whelen Corner and Grille Strobes
-PTO Dump
-Re-painted and sandblasted one year ago
-Stainless Steel Cover on 2"x12" side boards
-Chrome Simulators
-Dump Cover

The only thing it needs is to be sandblasted and undercoated. Not to much rust but is a little dirty underneath.
He was asking $15,500. I got him down to $13,000 and really my goal is to get him down another $500. We are planning to meet next Thursday(6 days from now) at O'Hare airport. Monday i should hear back from the ford dealer that is looking at it right now, so far everything has passed the safety inspection except on broken bolt on the manifold for the exhaust(should i be worried about that).

I am getting compression and cylinders checked also.

Tell me what you think, if its a deal or not?

P.Services
04-16-2011, 12:07 AM
dude dont touch that truck with a broken mainifold bolt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have him get that fixed, trust me that little bolt can ruin that truck!!!!!!

im serious, dont buy it with that bolt broken

mowerbrad
04-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Was the whole truck sandblasted and repainted or was just the dump? Is the new transmission actually a BUILT tranny or is it just a standard replacement?...If it is a built tranny, then it should serve you very well.

As far as the manifold bolt goes, was that there or did someone try to take the bolt off before and then the bolt broke? If they just found the bolt like that, that could mean that the truck has been running some pretty high exhaust temps. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't tell you how much of a problem (if any) you could have with the broken bolt.

Overall, that truck looks pretty good/clean. You seem to get a lot of the money and you wouldn't have to drive it all the way back from Florida.

newjerseylandscaping
04-16-2011, 12:10 AM
YEa that bolt can be a pita, my brothers friends mustang had one breake when we were working on it and we worked on if for a few hours before we got to it. Otherwise it looks like a nice clean truck.

P.Services
04-16-2011, 12:12 AM
the bolt is broken off in the head so in order to get it out you either have to find the best welder in the entire world (and thats a massive long shot) or you have to try and drill and ez out it (thats a even longer shot) or you have to take the whole mainfold off and pray to god the stub of the bolt is sticking out and you go back to the welder and have him weld a nut on it and pray even harder the bolt comes out (still a long shot) Oh and i forgot to mention when you go to take the other 8 bolts out chances are half will break off and now you can just skip the previously mention long shots and go right to your only choice.......... pull the entire top end off and take the heads to a machine shop and have them drilled and taped or put new heads on it. Its going to cost you some serious down time and some serious money.

engines are never the same ones they have been apart, you will get dust or grime in it an dit will shorten its life, i dont care what anyone says. Its never as good as a factory build.

In short dont buy it if the engine comes apart.

Dont ask me why i know so much about broken manifold bolts, its a sore topic for me.

White Gardens
04-16-2011, 01:16 AM
I'd still buy it and take the chance, but that is just me.

Delong, might want to think about a gasser. I know your set on a diesel but getting a used truck you are taking chances anyways. If you get one with a bad motor or tranny, the odds are that it will be cheaper to fix than a diesel motor or the tranny behind a diesel.

Even a bigger truck with a diesel isn't going to get the best fuel economy when pulling or hauling, so take that into consideration too.

Just throwing that out there to maybe expand your options some. Take the money you save buying a gasser and keep it for repairs if need be.

P.Services
04-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Buy that 450 on ebay we talked about. That's a deal
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Picasso: Didn't really realize the manifold broken bolt is a big problem, what is it exactly? Everything that is wrong with it will be fixed by the dealer and the seller agreed to that. Also, I have been talking to the seller on ebay of the truck we have been talking about and his reserve is at 13k. I would need sandblasting, new paint job, plow, salter, and is only 4x2.

Regard to the tranny: The tranny was built by a professional transmission shop, BUILT, not rebuilt to stock. The total bill of sale was 3800 dollars.

Regards to the truck being painted: The whole truck was sandblasted and repainted, the door panels inside, the door sills, the under cab and the back of the cab were fully painted by the dealers recommended shop. The bed and frame was sandblasted also. The frame needs some upkeep from the salt in IL but the bed is in very good condition. The total bill for the painting of the cab and hood and everything was 1900 dollars and the bed and frame to sandblast was 1100 and the painting costs around 600. So total it was around 3600 dollars.

I have all these prices because the seller scanned and sent me all the bills of sales for the past 35,000 miles(maintenance, repairs, and accesories)

White Gardens: there is actually a truck by me in brownstone with a 2001 f450 5.4L with 11,000 miles and is very clean. Its got tool boxes and a 9 ft bed. He was asking 14000 firm. I offered 11k but he didnt budge, it also was a 4x2. I have looked around for gassers too but a 5.4L in a 8k lb truck is a little underpowered. That is smaller than my hemi in my 1500 and that pullls heavy loads(10k lbs or more) like ****. Maybe the bigger gears would help but i would rather have a reliable 7.3L. I test drove the truck and it sat so low to the ground, and drove like crap. The pedal would be at the ground and we would be doing 0-25 in about 10 seconds. The exhaust sounded horrible too, sounded like straight pipes, short pipes that were on a motorcycle

White Gardens
04-16-2011, 09:46 PM
White Gardens: there is actually a truck by me in brownstone with a 2001 f450 5.4L with 11,000 miles and is very clean. Its got tool boxes and a 9 ft bed. He was asking 14000 firm. I offered 11k but he didnt budge, it also was a 4x2. I have looked around for gassers too but a 5.4L in a 8k lb truck is a little underpowered. That is smaller than my hemi in my 1500 and that pullls heavy loads(10k lbs or more) like ****. Maybe the bigger gears would help but i would rather have a reliable 7.3L. I test drove the truck and it sat so low to the ground, and drove like crap. The pedal would be at the ground and we would be doing 0-25 in about 10 seconds. The exhaust sounded horrible too, sounded like straight pipes, short pipes that were on a motorcycle

In a nutshell, I basically got my truck last year through a commercial dealer. Basically it was an ISU truck, and through relatives and contacts at ISU, I was able to get a hold of the commercial truck builder who was building the replacement truck. Ultimately they were taking the old one on trade.

Granted, even though it was cheap price, I knew what I was going to have to do the truck in the future, not only from the records of the ISU maintenance department, but from the commercial dealer who inspected the truck and was completely up front about the truck and the type of repairs I was looking at in the future. The price was also because of the commercial salesman who was all about just getting the truck off his lot as they didn't like keeping them around at all. Ultimately it was a strait up price for the truck I was buying.

So, I would contact any large ford or chevy dealership who sells commercial trucks. See if you can get one that fits the bill. I think that would be the safest way for you to get the exact truck you need, a strait forward price, and a little piece of mind.

EDIT: Also agree. A 5.4 is too small for a big truck. You need at least 400cu/in or more in a larger truck for the power.

P.Services
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
the ebay truck has a buy it now price of 7,500. we must be thinking about a different truck, im talking about the brickman truck.

As long as the dealer is fixing it thats ok, dont buy it if he cobble jobs some repair together.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-16-2011, 11:03 PM
the ebay truck has a buy it now price of 7,500. we must be thinking about a different truck, im talking about the brickman truck.

As long as the dealer is fixing it thats ok, dont buy it if he cobble jobs some repair together.

OHH THIS ONE!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-FORD-F-450-XL-7-3L-DIESEL-MANCAB-DUMP-TRUCK-/370499341012?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item56437b4ad4#ht_500wt_1182

Yea everything has been repaired and maintained at the dealer and they have records in the computer that show, also. The repair will be done at the dealer where it is at right now and i will make sure it is fixed correctly and checked out by another dealer at home when i get it. He is giving me a 2 months 5,000 miles warrenty for everything mechanical and suspention also, so thats why if anything goes wrong at the dealer by my house, i will make sure to have him repair it at his bill.

White Gardens:
There is a large ford dealer near lansing michigan that sells and fabricates dump beds and trucks. I talked with them and all their trucks are way overpriced. a 2002 f550 dump with central PTO, gasser engine with 112k miles(granted there was no rust, perfect paint, and new dump bed) they were asking 19,000 for it.

For a 7.3L 1998 they were asking 17,000 with 135k on it.

No dealers around me except used car lots are selling dumps for a good deal

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-25-2011, 11:15 PM
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

Flying out tomorrow for the dump truck in chicago. 10am flight. Quick question for you all. How do you find the value of a dump truck for the bank? I priced out a 2002 f350 drw 4x4 xlt, plow, dump bed and it was priced at around 20k. Doesnt sound right.

Any site that prices out used dump trucks?

Thanks

P.Services
04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
your getting the green and white one?

newjerseylandscaping
04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
KBB should ive you an idea. just add a bit. they have plow and hoist options.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
your getting the green and white one?

Yea the green and white one. Drove perfect all the way home. The paint wasn't as good as i hoped(it was 'repainted', but just painted over the rust spots and that is concerning me, the tool box wasn't latching very well ,needed a kick to get it shut and had rust spots and the salter was way older than i thought. I got him down to $11,500 dollars instead of $13,500 which i think is a steal!!! Especially compaired to other truck ive seen plus i got a decent salter with a 6hp electric start from cab motor(gas unfortunatly) and a 08 mvp ploy plow.

I need to talk to you later this year regarding sandblasting and painting and maybe even powder coating the bed and rhino lining the frame and underside bed from the guy you know.

The paint needs some work in the door sills, roof where the light bar was sitting, the frame, and inner cab. I am just figuring if i spend 2.5-3.5 grand more on a good sandblasting, spot welding/patching, grinding, and painting and it will look like new and it wont be a big hunk of rust in two years and will last me 5+ without needing any repainting work on the cab and frame.

Things going to be installed and replaced/maintained
-2 new 36 or 48" tool boxes or 4 24" tool boxes, havent decided yet.
-sandblasting/painting
-head lights replaced and fog lights installed
-interior dome lights updated and two more are going to be installed(barely can see in cab at night)
-Back up lights installed
-vinyl lettering (after the paint job)
-bigger compressor for air bags, takes a good 2-3 minutes to get them fully inflated
-re-wire all the switches and everything into a switch board on the dash labeled.
-all new fluids and filteres
-new ball joints(included with sale)
-and the oil dipstick o ring replaced.

P.Services
04-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Dude you got a killer deal!!!!! Let's see some new pics of that bad boy!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-27-2011, 01:29 AM
i will get pictures tomorrow morning. Had a horrible flight there on a 20 person plane and it was bumpy as hell and free fell a couple times for around 30 seconds. Lets just say i lost my breakfast as we were landing. Ended up with a chicago cubs t-shirt and shorts.

Right now, the salter and plow are stacked on top of each other for transport, looks pretty goofy and was a sail going down the highway. I don't have a loader or anything so im going to my uncles work and they are using a fork lift to lift the plow off. Not sure how i'm going to get the salter off or where i am going to put it but its gonna go somewhere. Its a western icebreaker, fully steel and about 6 years old. NEEDS NEW PAINT JOB, new spinner and the electric start isn't working on the motor but it came with a new starter in the box. along with (2) 10k lb bottle jacks, a bunch of misc parts, sway bars, u joints, and plow markers. I honestly don't think the seller knew all of this stuff was in there.

There was a case of around 150 fuses from 5AMP to 30AMP , and extra battery.

The only thing that really pissed me off was how dirty the interior was. i mean he didnt even touch the interior. It has dirty,leaves, and grass EVERYWHERE and I MEAN EVERYWHERE. Obviously he didnt give a **** about the interior at all. Nothing a vacum and a good scrubbing wont fix though.

I have a question on these engines. Are they supposed to be extremely loud, i mean this engine on the highway going 70 had me wanting to where ear plugs. Also, are these trucks slow off the start? like foot to the floor and they slowly accelerate(0-30 in about 10 seconds?

White Gardens
04-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I have a question on these engines. Are they supposed to be extremely loud, i mean this engine on the highway going 70 had me wanting to where ear plugs. Also, are these trucks slow off the start? like foot to the floor and they slowly accelerate(0-30 in about 10 seconds?

Exhaust is probably shot, they are semi-loud, but a good muffler might solve the problem.

You might have a turbo problem if it's taking that long to accelerate. They aren't the fastest moving truck/motor combo, but that's even a little slow for it.

P.Services
04-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Mine is pretty darn loud, look for holes in the exhaust. Mine is rather quick hardly have to touch the pedal. A new turbo wheel is no big deal though. You should put a edge tuner on it then you can keep an eye on turbo boost,egt,trans temp.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd go even farther down the list first and just take it to a shop and have it fully scanned, then go from there. Could just turn out to be a simple fix.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
first things first i need to go get a michigan title today. How much is a new exhaust system? Also, picasso, where do you think i should take it, any reliable honest diesel mechanics in your neck of the woods?

Took some pictures today of unloading the plow off of the top of the salter. Plow works great and is super responsive but drops sooo damn fast.

I got the truck fully inspected before i purchased it and the only issues they found were an 0 ring for the dip stick, ball joints a little loose(came with new ones) and a couple of lights were out and they were fixed at the dealer.

Other than that nothing was found wrong, just need to take it in and get a good inspection and repairs done. You guys know anywhere to get bucket seats? i want to make a middle consol for everything. One thing i think is really cool on this is the salter is all wired up and its a plug and play. The starter for the motor is electric and has a key inside along with conveyor speed and spiiner speed and blast. I never used a salter but its pretty neat. I am cleaning it up today, getting a few new LED's put in. I will be on here tonight after i am finished driving around for a couple hours shopping for parts and what not

Also, any ideas of how to get the headlights brighter? put new silverstar bulbs in with no change. it looks like an oil lamp light(barely anything)

oakwdman
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Too bad I didn't see this sooner, there was an '03 7.3 F450 brickman truck 68k miles 9' pro plus plow and a salter too I believe up for $12.5k in Chicago.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Too bad I didn't see this sooner, there was an '03 7.3 F450 brickman truck 68k miles 9' pro plus plow and a salter too I believe up for $12.5k in Chicago.

thanks for the info but i am very happy with my truck. I got it detailed today and ordered a bunch of new parts, accesories, and made some calls for a paint job.

The interior is night and day

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Here are some pictures. The weather has been dreary and miserable for way to long

stuntmanlogan
04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Congrats on the new truck. The western plows drop really fast. You will get used to it pretty quick. Does it have the 7.3?

oakwdman
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
There is a quill screw somewhere on the pump that changes the drop speed. I actually like a fast drop, knocks the stuck on snow off before each pass
Posted via Mobile Device

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
looks good. but didn't you say they fixed all the lights because your center rear marker light is out

P.Services
04-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Its a truck....plan on fixing things for the rest of the time you own it. Its a never ending kinda thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Congrats on the new truck. The western plows drop really fast. You will get used to it pretty quick. Does it have the 7.3?

thanks man, its going to finally able us to take on bigger jobs and haul bigger loads and be wayyyy more productive

The western seems to be built really well but the rust on the pins and jack springs is a concern.

It is a 7.3L

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-28-2011, 12:15 AM
looks good. but didn't you say they fixed all the lights because your center rear marker light is out

I was screwing with the wiring today and i was trying to get the middle one out and it was stuck in there and i ripped the pigtail off of the center light, its hanging down under the hitch. Going to replace all lights with LEDS

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-28-2011, 12:16 AM
There is a quill screw somewhere on the pump that changes the drop speed. I actually like a fast drop, knocks the stuck on snow off before each pass
Posted via Mobile Device

i dont mind it but when my uncle was standing like 3 ft away there is no way to get out of the way or time to get out of the way if it is dropping.

I like it too, and exactly what i was thinking about the stuck snow

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Its a truck....plan on fixing things for the rest of the time you own it. Its a never ending kinda thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

definitely plan on keeping up on maintenance like crazy and doing a lot of it on my own. Sick of the 800-1000 dollars in maintenance changing fluids and filters.

newjerseylandscaping
04-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Nice man, I really like how the green works with your logo as well,
The chute in the tailgate, does that close? Congrats and good luck with her.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Nice man, I really like how the green works with your logo as well,
The chute in the tailgate, does that close? Congrats and good luck with her.

yea thats why i like it so much too. Interior needs a lot of maintenance work but the exterior beside the underside of the dump is in pretty good condition. Needs a good waxing thats all.

I love green and white, my two favorite colors (Michigan State University) Also. Go Green!

stuvecorp
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Why is the new truck on ebay?

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-30-2011, 11:30 PM
talk about trying to turn a profit buying it for 11500 and turning around less then a week and asking 19,500 must have been more wrong with it. imo

White Gardens
05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Interesting.......

DLONGLANDSCAPING
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
haha. Knew someone would say something.

You guys have a keened eye.

Everything is always for sale at the right price. Ebay was offering free listings so i mine as well put it up for auction higher than i bought it for.

As for stuff being wrong with it..... changed all fluids yesterday, the exhaust was cracked right before the muffler and that was why it was so loud and that is now fixed. The o ring on the dipstick was fixed and one of the fuses were replaced for the windshield wipers.

Actually, a little update on the truck. I have been putting some tlc in the truck for the last couple of long nights after work. I wire brushed the whole rear end and chassis up to the cab, sanded and wire brushed the door sills that had spot rust on them, and my cousin who works at a collision shop in lansing came down and helped me prime, paint and wet sand. Also ordered new mud flaps, new wiring for all lights(way to corroded to fix) and new led marker and tail lights. Bought (2) 24" tool boxes and (1) 48" tool box. And found a deal on ebay. 'MAYBE' to install bucket seats for 299 dollars. The wiring is horrible inside the cab and all needs to be redone.(all the aux lights,strobes, salter wiring and plow harness) so that is my project for the next couple nights.

Also, I finally got the salter off at my uncles shop and put it to work today. Hauled 9 yards of mulch and delivered to my aunts house.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
05-01-2011, 12:50 AM
talk about trying to turn a profit buying it for 11500 and turning around less then a week and asking 19,500 must have been more wrong with it. imo

why would i be wanting to make profit on a broken truck? If there was seriously something wrong with it i would just want what i had into it.

Impressions Landscaping
05-01-2011, 12:59 AM
Your an idiot...either there is something really wrong with the truck and you're hiding it, or you don't have the work that you claim you have and screwed yourself over by spending 12 grand. How are you going to do these 65 yard mulch jobs your selling without your dump truck? Or your 20 tear out/new loam/re-seed jobs you have booked solid. You got people on this thread helping you out and you're turning around and selling it? Don't mean to attack you but it makes absolutley no sense to me at all. I could turn around right now, 5 years after I've put together my 1-ton, and sell it for 5 times for what I have into it, but I don't because it makes me money everyday, and most importantly, was a steal. Makes no sense to sell something that was a steal, to make a profit, when it's your bread and butter of your business right now, not your 1/2 ton Dodge.

P.Services
05-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Your an idiot...either there is something really wrong with the truck and you're hiding it, or you don't have the work that you claim you have and screwed yourself over by spending 12 grand. How are you going to do these 65 yard mulch jobs your selling without your dump truck? Or your 20 tear out/new loam/re-seed jobs you have booked solid. You got people on this thread helping you out and you're turning around and selling it? Don't mean to attack you but it makes absolutley no sense to me at all. I could turn around right now, 5 years after I've put together my 1-ton, and sell it for 5 times for what I have into it, but I don't because it makes me money everyday, and most importantly, was a steal. Makes no sense to sell something that was a steal, to make a profit, when it's your bread and butter of your business right now, not your 1/2 ton Dodge.

Sorry but I'm gona have to say your the idiot. When I catch a steal of a deal on something I also put it up for sale and make a quick few grand. I bought a 97 2500hd with brand new 33" BFG at's on it AND a 8' western for $1500 cash. I bought a for sale sign for it on my way home with it and sold it for 4900 in a week. Then I took that cash and bought a f-450 with it. That's how you flip stuff and make a profit without working for it. The guy caught a nice deal on a truck because he researched the living shet out of them and now he's trying to capitalize on that. So he walks with 19k cash in his pocket, spends 12 on another dump and then has cash left over for a new trailer. That's a fast and easy way to grow.

Everything I own is for sale for the right price and I have shet tons of work for each and every truck/machine.

Shoot I bought a brand new excavator and really debated putting it up for sale before I even had one hour on it. I know I could sell it for thousands more than what I paid for it.

When you know you got a deal the first instinct is to go fishing for a sucker.
Posted via Mobile Device

oakwdman
05-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Turning around and selling a machine or truck and making a profit on it is the same damn thing as quoting a job and making a profit on it or marking up material. I've done it and will continue to do so, if you think it's idiotic that's fine you're the one missing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
05-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Turning around and selling a machine or truck and making a profit on it is the same damn thing as quoting a job and making a profit on it or marking up material. I've done it and will continue to do so, if you think it's idiotic that's fine you're the one missing out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Says the guy that flips more mowers in one year then most lco's will ever own in a life time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Impressions Landscaping
05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
Still makes no sense to me when someones saying they have all this work lined up and absolutley can't live without a dump before they even own one. I could understand the dead of winter and your months out before you start doing any kind of work...but in the spring? When this is your first dump and only dump? Its great to make a few grand on something, I agree with you there, however, I'm sure you never left yourself short trucks when you had a lot of work quoted and booked. You wouldn't quote a bunch of skidsteer work, then turn around and sell your skid steer and dump for a profit before you do your work, in your busy season. I don't know of anyone who would.

Sometimes when you find a good deal, you don't always have to go fishing for a sucker, maybe keep the good deals, make money off of them, maybe make enough money to pay themselves off and then turn around and sell it for a profit a few months down the road. I just don't get it sometimes. I know a guy who just bought nice little 6 wheeler for 14 grand. He stole it to put it short. He could sell it for a 10 thousand profit right now, but he's putting a few bucks into it and making himself a nice little work truck for cheap. Thats smart business right there.

Look at ETW, those used FL80's he has, he could turn around and sell them easily for what he has into them plus some and then some more, then go out and buy a brand new truck, but why not. Why not save money when you can, and instead of focusing on how to sell the truck for a profit, focus on how you can make the truck make you the most amount of money for your business. Its all about keeping a low overhead.

P.Services
05-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Don't agree with that either......jarod pays top dollar for those trucks because he needs them now and he wants them built just the way he needs them. He pays dearly for that. I can get a used sng hoist for 4 grand put it on a 4300 ex-penske truck I bought for 4 grand and have a steal toolcrib made and then I could sell it for a profit. But he's buying a new hoist for 12 grand or so so that he won't have repair problems, he's buying a custom made tool box out of aluminum so they last forever and he's buying trucks that fit his specs and match the others not just a good price. I will bet you my left nut he couldn't sell any of those trucks for what he has into them. Guess what? It doesn't matter because that's not why he built them, he built them to make money and work so that's where he wins.

You don't exactly understand the truck market and howw to make money with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

stuvecorp
05-01-2011, 02:07 AM
I think it's kinda lame to have guys help you out and then try to flip the truck but you can do whatever you want. The part that is really dumb though is bragging on here how you beat the guy down and then list the truck for sale at an inflated price. Weren't you complaining about a dealer having way too high of prices?

DLONGLANDSCAPING
05-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Here it goes, to answer all your questions and "concerns". First off, this thread was to gain knowledge on dump trucks and to ask for peoples opinions on dump trucks and what i should look out for.

Secondly, i am making myself a good work truck, fixing this dump up and putting what i need vs. what i want into it. I was putting it on ebay just for kicks to see what i could get for it before i put money into it. There is no need to go crazy over flipping something for a profit. Especially when i literally just got it and barely used it yet. There are many trucks out there for sale at a good price. Now a days its a buyers market, you can find good deals on a lot of things. I was planning on sandblasting it all, rhino lining almost everything except cab and outside of dump body, and 're-finishing' everything. But i realized that not much is cosmetically wrong with it and i could take 20-30 hours of spare time over the next few weeks and save myself around 3k on a new paint job.

Third, i dont come on this site to brag, i come on this site to educate myself and get inspired by many of the big guys on here to grow my company. I always contiplate whether to post my own threads or just read the threads because there are always people that assume your just trying to brag when you get new equipment or want to show off. Im not one of those people that need new equipment to make them selves feel better. Its my company image to have clean late model equipment that is well taken care of and washed. There is nothing wrong with that. There are so many hacks around my area with beat to hell equipment and ripped clothes mowing lawns, and that is what sets me apart. Granted, there are many big companys around too that look nice, i learn from them that when i see a well dressed company it looks SOOO much better.

Back to the truck talk.......

Fourth, Regarding the tear out jobs, mulch jobs and other landscape jobs i have lined up. One dump truck isn't going to be my 'bread and butter'. Im not saying it wouldnt help out a ton but I can just do what i did last year, ...............have the mulch delivered.................rent dumpsters for removal of cement and tear outs............. trailer a bobcat behind my 1500. It is really no big deal but it just costs more to rent. The dump truck was mearly an access point where i could take on jobs myself without having to pay for unneeded expenditures. Figure a dumpster fee for an 8-10 yard capasity was around 400 dollars. If i did just two tear outs a month, i would be saving myself 800 dollars per month - gas charges.

Fifth, My jobs lined up and mulch installations scheduled are honestly none of anyones business on this site, it has to do with the contractor and the home owner who is contracting out the services. I posted that on here just because that is what i will use the dump truck for.

Sixth: Impressions Landscaping: Even if i didn't have the work for the truck, i still was planning to get a 2500 or 3500 this year because my 1500 isn't going to last if i use it all summer like i did last year and then for plowing this year. You are very quick to judge and choose your words like a loose canon. Im not one to call names and i guess i dont know where your coming from but i choose what i buy very critically, i check everything out and i don't buy out of impulse. I am always online researching what i am going to buy, finding the best deal and usually that means that in two years i can sell it for fair market value of what its worth for more than i purchased it two years before. This is call a SMART BUSINESS DECISION. Maybe if my company grows more and i start to have larger capital i will be on the same boat as Jarod, but i'm 18.

STIVECORP: What does getting help have anything to do with keeping a truck? I was asking for help because that is what this site if for. Knowledging yourself with other peoples expiriences and knowledge. Where in the rules of lawn site does it say if you ask for help you better f'ing keep the truck or everything was a waste. If i do sell it, all your help just made me 7500 dollars richer. I wasnt complaining about trucks being high price here, i was stating a fact that in MICHIGAN truck prices are way higher.

I will update this thread with what i am going to do and the updates i do on this truck. Most likely after all the major work is done i will take some before and after pic's also.

If i sell it, then awesome, if i dont, i have dump truck still dont i?

Superior L & L
05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Delong Nice new truck :)
Here is my one thought, even if you keep the truck still use roll offs. We have four dumptrucks and still use roll offs. We have a 30yd and a 20yd on two different sites right now. The amount of trips it would take to haul off 30 yds of brush would take all day and at least $150 in fuel. By using roll offs the drive will stay onsite and work on production