PDA

View Full Version : Palm Tree-Ectomy

4-Leaf
09-20-2002, 08:23 AM
So I got this job that includes removing a palm tree.
I nodded and said "Oh sure, I can do that." (But I have no idea how.) It's about 8 feet high and about 3 feet in diameter. It's not too bushy at the top. Any ideas or instructions (or destructions) would be most welcome.

I heard they have a root that looks like a carrot. If that is the case, I'm envisioning a chain and a truck. Then I have to haul it away. If it's easy to cut up with a chainsaw, then that will be the call .... if not ... then it will probably be a wench/come-along and a trailer. I think I recall trying to cut up similar substances with a chainsaw and the pulp of the trunk pretty much prevents the chainsaw from working properly. It's one of those trunks that looks like a pineapple. Any ideas or advice I could get on this would also be greatly appreciated.

I just want to tell everyone, I have rec'd some great advice on this board and it has really helped me in my business. Thanks to you all. --- 4 Leaf.

Just Turned Pro
09-20-2002, 01:10 PM
What type of palm is it? Why not look for a local Palm Society or Palm message board (Even GardenWeb) that has members in your area? You can probably get someone to pay you for the palm (depending on what kind it is), or at least to remove it for you if you give it to them for free when they are done. I know that up here palms are more of a novelty, but from what I have read, palm enthusiasts all over are the same. I do know that if you take a chainsaw to it, they will probably lynch you!

I donít have experience with any trees of that size, buy they generally have a tap root that shouldnít be too deep at that height.

Mark50
09-21-2002, 01:25 PM
All Palms are monocots. That is when the seed germinates it produces only one leaf (think grass). Dicots produce two leaves (think everything else).
Palms have a very fibrous root system. You should be able to use a shovel to dig it out. The root ball should be about twice the diameter of the trunk at ground level and be round like an upside down lolly-pop. Hopes this helps.
Markjavascript:smilie(':)')
smile

Toatlandscape
09-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Make sure you have the strongest, sharpest shovel you can find. I use one that is all steel. It weight about 15-20 lbs but you can cut the roots off much better. You will want to dig 2 rings around the tree about 6-8 inches apart. That way you can shave as close to the trunk as possible. So you can go down and under at the same time. You will probably still need a chain and truck to pull it over. Make no mistake it will be VERY HEAVY, you will need assistance to get it on the truck/trailer. I have done many and usually 2 guys can roll it up the ramp of a trailer. Will be lots of work but not batd after you do a couple.

Good Luck!