PDA

View Full Version : Buying a CAT 277... Any last words of advice?

cjmoore82
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I am about to pick up a 2007 CAT 277b for my landscape company. Enclosed cab, 1600 hrs, great condition.. $27,000.

Anyone have any advice on why I should not buy this machine? Are there any really crucial things that I need to look at before the purchase? What types of things tend to go wrong on them?

I attached a picture... The tracks were completely caked on with mud when I went to take a look at it. It has been a rental for the last 6 months but before that it was a one owner machine. Its on a long term rent right now, that is why the tracks look like that. The only thing that scares me is the fact that when its rented, companies usually dont take care of it like it is your own machine.

AdvLandscapeLLC
03-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I would clear all that mud out and inspect all the bogeys, the idlers, make sure there is no real bad wearing or chunks taken out of the inside of the tracks. I wouldnt even put an offer in until that thing was cleaned out for you to really inspect it. Those undercarriages are not cheap at all and 2000hrs is usually the time frame i am told that they start to have failures. I dont own one but was looking last year at them and spoke to the dealers mechanic about what to look for. Those machines seem like they have kick ass float ability in mud though

cjmoore82
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the response. I could see a couple of the bogeys in the track system needing attention and there were a number that were already replaced. I am going to work the numbers to see if they can include a couple bogey wheels installed if I purchase it. Had to drive 3 hours to look at this machine and that was the shape it was in. But if I buy it I have two days to return it minus freight. And you can bet that I will have it cleaned up first. Anything else? Anyone know what would need attention at 2000 hours?
Posted via Mobile Device

icex
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Pretty much prepare your self for a new undercarriage and it ain't cheap.

Check catused.com before making the purchase and request service records before signing anything ..

SellingIron
03-17-2011, 05:13 PM
There are better deals out there. Price out just one track. Good luck..

bobcat_ron
03-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Grab a 277C, the B's were alright, but the C's are easier to replace to undercarriage parts and they stay cleaner.

SVA_Concrete
03-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Doesn't sound like a screamin' deal.

2k hrs is the most expensive service.

i am in your area, and i gotta say, the Deere Service from Coastal Equipment cant be beat. Everyone of the guys at coastal is great to work with from the sales to the service. check with the yorktown store, i think they have a CTL 322 that is similar in hrs. at least you can compare.

just food for thought: http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1181217

I have got a Deere 322, lifts a pallet of pavers with no problem, as well as i can load a full size truck with no problem.

ksss
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
If you have researched the MTL and you still want one, you might want to spend more time researching these.

That is too much money for too many hours unless it has had the tracks and undercarriage rebuilt. Go to Iron Planet and see what these machines really bring. Their resale reflects the quality of the machine which is to say, not much. I would look for something else. "Generally" and I would say especially now you cant come out on owning one of these machines. Except in all but ideal conditions they just cost too much to run and no one wants a used one.

Scag48
03-18-2011, 01:01 AM
The 277's, in my opinion, were the best model for large Cat MTL's. However, I don't think $27K is all that great of a deal.

SIWEL
03-18-2011, 02:23 AM
I also do not think that the machine is a bargain either. Really check out the under carriage, they do get very costly to start replacing a lot of parts. Good luck with it

P.Services
03-18-2011, 04:47 AM
I will sell you my deere CT332 that is in darn near mint condition for 19k. And I will deliver it to you. It had problems with the wheel motors and I spent over 16k getting them back to brand new condition. Has brand new tracks with about 2hrs on them. Full cab and ac. New turbo, new this new that. If it was worn I replaced it.
Posted via Mobile Device

tbone1471
03-18-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a 2005/6 267B if your interested. It has 2300hrs the tracks are about 40% and it has two boogies that could use some love as well as some idlers. I would do 18K delivered. I have to say it is a nice machine. They really do float on mud but, I would stay far away from pavement. And, keeping the undercarriage clean is a pain. For the one your looking at for 27K, look elsewhere.

bobcat_ron
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I'll sell you my Takeuchi TL130 for $25,000, it's a bit smaller, but it's a tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I will sell you my deere CT332 that is in darn near mint condition for 19k. And I will deliver it to you. It had problems with the wheel motors and I spent over 16k getting them back to brand new condition. Has brand new tracks with about 2hrs on them. Full cab and ac. New turbo, new this new that. If it was worn I replaced it.
Posted via Mobile Device

We had a Deere 323 last year for an entire month. Beautiful machine but I was having problems lifting a wet pallet of sod. It kept creeping down on me while driving. Maybe the actual machine, maybe the model... It was brand new too. How many hours are on the CT322 your buying.

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Doesn't sound like a screamin' deal.

2k hrs is the most expensive service.

i am in your area, and i gotta say, the Deere Service from Coastal Equipment cant be beat. Everyone of the guys at coastal is great to work with from the sales to the service. check with the yorktown store, i think they have a CTL 322 that is similar in hrs. at least you can compare.

just food for thought: http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1181217

I have got a Deere 322, lifts a pallet of pavers with no problem, as well as i can load a full size truck with no problem.

I dealt with coastal last year. Your are correct about their customer service. Read my prior post, I explained what machine I had prior.

I appreciate the link, I will check it out.

As for the price, I definately negotiated the price. Hit him at $25,500 or full asking price with some maintenance and 12 month power train and hydraulic warranty. If it dont happen then I am sure someone else will take my money.

Thanks to everyone who is offering their machines. Keep offering.... Looking for enclosed and something that can lift like a cat 277.

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Grab a 277C, the B's were alright, but the C's are easier to replace to undercarriage parts and they stay cleaner.

bobcat_ron, Dont you want to tell me to get a bobcat? HAHA.

As for the 277 C rather than the B, I understand the difference. I have heard that the undercarriage can last long if kept clean. This machine looks like it is in great shape. Original tracks have plenty (40-50%) of life left with no chunks taken out of the tracks. Who ever bought it prior really did take good shape of it. The rental period scares me a bit and that is why the tracks are full of mud in the pic. I have searched this machine and I feel like its a good price but I guess everyone else does not agree. I usually go with the consensus.

P.Services
03-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Call your cat dealer and ask a salesman about repo machines. My salesman sent me info on a 277c with 400 hours on it, full cab ac/heat radio bucket and forks for 27,000. Didn't have 2spd or I would have bought it. Do some looking and you can catch a great deal in these times.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Call your cat dealer and ask a salesman about repo machines. My salesman sent me info on a 277c with 400 hours on it, full cab ac/heat radio bucket and forks for 27,000. Didn't have 2spd or I would have bought it. Do some looking and you can catch a great deal in these times.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is that machine still available?? The price of used machinery is going up since everyone is pulling out of the economic slump. We have been looking for a bit and I really did think this was a good deal, until everyone on this website said to keep looking. haha. I know I could probably look up some cheaper units, but havent really found anything... I still havent bought so I am still looking.

Stick Pro
03-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Have you checked out machinerytrader.com i was looking on there you can get a 277c for the low thirty's on there. The C series is night and day better than the B series, worth the extra cash. Good luck, we want to see some pics when you do purchase your new machine.

P.Services
03-19-2011, 05:04 PM
No the repos sell the same day. I wouldn't hesitate to spen an extra 5-10 grand to get into a C though. Do it right the first time and thank yourself later again and again. Make sure you get 2spd also.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
No the repos sell the same day. I wouldn't hesitate to spen an extra 5-10 grand to get into a C though. Do it right the first time and thank yourself later again and again. Make sure you get 2spd also.
Posted via Mobile Device

I keep telling myself the same thing. I started out wanting something cheap... not enclosed... high hours... T190 size... I have talked myself into enclosed, lower hours, larger size. I would love to just go buy every option but I just can't (financially being in check). I wont be using this machine 8 hours a day. Probably only use it a couple of times a week. Hopefully it will open some more doors and get me larger grading jobs I couldnt get before.

I had another landscaper tell me when I was starting out, "always buy bigger than what you think you need. then grow into it." He couldnt be more true. But there is a point when you shouldnt go any further. If anyone on this website would like to donate $10,000 to my "buy a track loader cause" then feel free. Then I will upgrade :dancing:

P.Services
03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Then buy mine!!! Its big, its enclosed, it lifts way more than a 277 and its cheaper. What's the problem? Hand over the benny boys.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Actually I think almost universally we have already saved you 10K. Buy something other than a MTL and we will have saved you that much again later on. Thats how we roll here.:clapping:

P.Services
03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
I agree, you couldn't give me a MTL.
Posted via Mobile Device

cjmoore82
03-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Then buy mine!!! Its big, its enclosed, it lifts way more than a 277 and its cheaper. What's the problem? Hand over the benny boys.
Posted via Mobile Device

How many hours and what year is your Deere 332?
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
03-20-2011, 02:40 AM
2,500 hours and I think its a 2007 or a 06. It was run hard by the owner before me and I paid the price. I had to do a lot of repairs on things that were worn. Mostly under carriage stuff and new tracks. Its been running with out a problem for a long time now. Just brought it home last night to do a full service on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ausman
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
advice DONT DO IT

cjmoore82
03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont understand how everyone thinks they can find a 277b cheaper than 27k.. with a 12 month powertrain warranty. Maybe you can find a private seller for cheaper but it has no warranty unless you buy it from a dealer. $1300 addition. So technically I would be buying the 277 for $25,700. I can not find a machine even close to that.... as for the MTL... I have also heard that a MTL does great on existing turf. Our company does a ton of sod work and with the even psi through out the track it has been proven to do better then a CTL.

tbone1471
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Since your not interested in my 267b I will be honest about my purchase price. I paid 12,500. The difference in ROC is about 100lbs and the 277 has 10 more hp. I have invested about 3000 since i purchased my 267B. Total 15,500. I could blow an engine, hydro pump, hydro motor, or replace the track assemblies and still have less than 25,000. in it. The economy is bad driving machine prices way down. And to be honest if the deal I got wasn't that sweet I would have gotten a deer or tak. Not saying the cat is junk but its not the best MTL.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Id say its about 10k high.

ksss
03-25-2011, 05:41 PM
I dont understand how everyone thinks they can find a 277b cheaper than 27k.. with a 12 month powertrain warranty. Maybe you can find a private seller for cheaper but it has no warranty unless you buy it from a dealer. $1300 addition. So technically I would be buying the 277 for $25,700. I can not find a machine even close to that.... as for the MTL... I have also heard that a MTL does great on existing turf. Our company does a ton of sod work and with the even psi through out the track it has been proven to do better then a CTL.

Did you check out Iron Planet?