PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer Heads

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Hey guys, I am about to buy the stilh kombi for use as a hedge trimmer and pole prunner, maybe a back up for the edger and trimmer. My question is do I really want/need to pop the extra cash for the adjustable hedge trimmer head? Is it worth it or is the non adjustable trimmer going to get the job done? Also what are your thoughts on the heads km-90/110/130. At first I wanted the 130 but I don't really know if I need that or will the 90 or 110 do enough. I just want a good solid system to use for hedges and trees when needed, and have a back up if the primary edger or trimmer goes down.

rlitman
03-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I've got a KM110 with a number of attachments.
You do NOT need much power to run the hedge trimmer, and a 90 would still be overkill. Other attachments like more power, but not the hedge trimmer. I find myself teasing the trigger a lot with it.
I've also got the pole pruner. You can't wipe the grin off my face when I've got that thing throwing sawdust all over! The 110 is great with this. Power feels just right, but I've still had the clutch start to slip when I've gotten it too bound up, so more power wouldn't help with this either.

Back to the hedge trimmer: I use the angle adjustment a lot. Set at an angle, with the shaft pointed up, I can clip flat the tops of hedges from the ground, that I could only reach with a ladder otherwise. I've got the carbon fiber extension, and use that occasionally with this too. It's difficult to control, but I can trim over the top of my 12' holly tree from the ground. I cannot imagine using the heavier aluminum extension with this, but the extension with the pole pruner is much more manageable (different distribution of weight and balance I guess).

The 110 is plenty of power for the straight edger I have, but I think I would be disappointed using the 90 with this (or maybe I just wouldn't know any better).
Its a heavy trimmer setup, and my arms KILLED me the first two times I used it, but after getting the strap adjusted right, my shoulder carries all the weight, and I no longer even notice its weight at all.

I have the blower as well. Here, I believe a 130 would give a little more output, but still, for me, the 110 is the "Goldilocks" size. It is still more powerful than the BG85 I sold, but if I were a pro, I would have kept the BG85 instead. I just wanted one less engine to maintain, and for that it works for me.

bigkid
03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I just bought a km130 power head myself not to long ago and couldn't be happier. I only bought the straight edger attatchment for it so thats all i have first hand experience with so far. I was considering the 90 or 110 powerhead as well but decided on the 130 for 1 reason and 1 reason only. You can never have to much power. Sure the 90 or 110 may be enough power, but for a little money now i know that if i need the extra power i always have it available. I also feel that with the extra power the motor isn't working as hard therefore it will run cooler and last longer. Like i said the 90 or 110 is probably sufficient, but for a little money now you eliminate the "probably" and know your set. A little more money now will lead to a lot more smiles later.

Pressedun
03-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Just ordered the 90, I'll let you know how I like it...

rlitman
03-18-2011, 01:51 AM
. . . decided on the 130 for 1 reason and 1 reason only. You can never have to much power. . .

There's some truth to that, but more power means you're carrying around more weight too. Some people care more about that than others.
When I got my 110, the dealer wanted to talk me into a 90, saying that was WAY more powerful than the troybilt I was replacing it with (and that turned out to be so true). He didn't have any 130's in stock, and I'm quite happy with the 110. Touching up with the edger, I can edge as fast as I can walk. For that first time each season, I might prefer the extra power of the 130, but it'll still never be a walk-behind edger.

I actually think that the 110 works harder than a 90 with the hedge trimmer (which is probably best matched power-wise to the 55 actually), because I find it constantly revving and trying to run away from me, with just the gentlest touch on the trigger. Stihl's hedge trimmer runs like a Swiss watch, with both blades moving in opposition. It cuts so well, it would probably work fine with a hand crank, or belt driven off a hamster wheel. I guess that's part of why it's so darn expensive.
The edger is well made, but hey, it's an edger. They're crude devices by design, that can always put more power to good use (seriously, an edger isn't much more than a spinning machete).

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Thz guys I think i will go with the 90, but I still got to think about it some more. I was talking to a friend who works for an lco and he said he was pretty sure that if you pulled the head of a dedicated string trimmer that the kombu attachments who bolt up. I've never heard this anyone try it?

wild willy
03-18-2011, 11:31 AM
DO NOT EVEN PONDER THE NON-ADJUSTABLE HEAD!!!!!!!!

I use mine ALL the time and have the ability to adjust the angle is a GODSEND and I don't know how you would use a non-adjustable head...unless all you trim is verticle.
I have the 110 and the adjustable hedge trimmer head..perfect combo especially when going through some thick cedar growths.

yes the combi head will attach up...they wouldn't make 2 different hedge trimmer heads
you can also put the mini tiller on the 90 but the 110 works better...the mini tiller will get tiring after a while..... but once the tillin is done its a whiz to use

My trimmer and tiller are 10 years old and they paid for themselves after the very first use....so the rest is graaaaavy!!!!!!

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
thz guys. Will get the adjustable head for sure, probly the 110. I'll see what I can work out with the dealer, any thoughts on being able to attach the kombi attechments to a regular trimmer. I was told to get the br 350 or 550 and if I pulled the string trimmer head off I could put on a kombi heads.

wild willy
03-18-2011, 12:09 PM
sorry br350????

Pressedun
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I've been told by my dealer that there's not much difference between the 90 and the 110 other than the price...

As for the BR, I have the 550 and I like it but I think I would bump it up to the 600 Magnum if I did it all over again.

rlitman
03-18-2011, 01:33 PM
The Stihl equipment is almost as interchangeable as Legos. All the tools fit on all the shafts (you can't just mix around different motors though, because the trigger's aren't all identical, even though they look really similar).
The only thing special about the Kombi is the quick detach split in the middle of the shaft.
The big differences are that this split is far enough away from the tool that it doesn't collect crud which can get into your gearbox when changing tools, it is tool-less, and the ability to use an extension shaft for longer reach (which is very important to me when using the pole pruner).
If you're planning on making this a permanent long reach hedge trimmer, with the ability to put a string trimmer head on while your primary string trimmer is in the shop, then maybe you can save some money and not get the kombi. You can actually buy the tool ends by themselves (and not the Kombi version that comes with the short half of the shaft) and same some more money this way too.

Oh, and I think I wasn't clear on the angle adjustment.
I don't think I EVER have it set to straight. Even when trimming vertical, I have it at a slight angle to keep the machine out of the leaves.

I used to own a yardboss cultivator. That tiller head fit right only my 110 too, but it was awful compared to using it on the yardboss. Too much of a workout; it was easier to just double dig with a shovel. The yardboss is only a 55 engine, but with a really short shaft, the weight of the engine pushes the tiller into the ground, and the wide stance bicycle handles make holding it much easier too.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-18-2011, 01:36 PM
I think thats the model maybe not. I just meant can u take a head off a dedicated string trimmer and open up the tube and attach a kombi attchemnt to it.

rlitman
03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
. . . I just meant can u take a head off a dedicated string trimmer and open up the tube and attach a kombi attchemnt to it.

Yup.

Most of the tool ends have two or three torx screws you loosen, and then it slides off the shaft. The kombi tools are identical, except that they come with a short shaft already installed. Take them off that shaft, and they'll fit right where the string head goes.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-18-2011, 03:16 PM
thx guys. im gonna look into buying a dedicated trimmer and just un bolting it to change the heads.

wild willy
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Attaboy!!!!!!!

jkingrph
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I've got a KM110 with a number of attachments.
You do NOT need much power to run the hedge trimmer, and a 90 would still be overkill. Other attachments like more power, but not the hedge trimmer. I find myself teasing the trigger a lot with it.
I've also got the pole pruner. You can't wipe the grin off my face when I've got that thing throwing sawdust all over! The 110 is great with this. Power feels just right, but I've still had the clutch start to slip when I've gotten it too bound up, so more power wouldn't help with this either.

Back to the hedge trimmer: I use the angle adjustment a lot. Set at an angle, with the shaft pointed up, I can clip flat the tops of hedges from the ground, that I could only reach with a ladder otherwise. I've got the carbon fiber extension, and use that occasionally with this too. It's difficult to control, but I can trim over the top of my 12' holly tree from the ground. I cannot imagine using the heavier aluminum extension with this, but the extension with the pole pruner is much more manageable (different distribution of weight and balance I guess).

The 110 is plenty of power for the straight edger I have, but I think I would be disappointed using the 90 with this (or maybe I just wouldn't know any better).
Its a heavy trimmer setup, and my arms KILLED me the first two times I used it, but after getting the strap adjusted right, my shoulder carries all the weight, and I no longer even notice its weight at all.

I have the blower as well. Here, I believe a 130 would give a little more output, but still, for me, the 110 is the "Goldilocks" size. It is still more powerful than the BG85 I sold, but if I were a pro, I would have kept the BG85 instead. I just wanted one less engine to maintain, and for that it works for me.

I did the same thing, carbon fiber extension, angle adjustable hedge trimmer to to even up the tops of some crepe myrtles, about four years old ( not talking crepe murder here, just some tall pruning). It can be done but is a bit unwieldy, and heavy. I found myself switching from right hand control to left hand control. It was tiring but still beat carrying a ladder and trimming equip around.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
I got the km-110 didnt have the trimmer i wanted, btw the carbon ext is so worth the money. I grabbed the metal one and set it right back down that sucker is HEAVY.

rlitman
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
the carbon ext is so worth the money. I grabbed the metal one and set it right back down that sucker is HEAVY.

Agreed! I think I could get away with the metal one, if I only used it with my pole pruner. The weight isn't so bad when the shaft is nearly vertical.
With the hedge trimmer, the shaft gets used at more of an angle (sometimes nearly horizontal), and any weight cantilevered way out horizontally makes things very difficult.

Good luck. I guess you're waiting for the right trimmer to get in?

dboyd351
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I've got the FS 90 R with the 135 degree articulating hedge trimmer head attached using the gearbox on the end of the shaft. Anyone know if you could take off the metal shaft and use the carbon fiber extension as a shaft instead to save some weight?

Lazer_Z
04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I've got the FS 90 R with the 135 degree articulating hedge trimmer head attached using the gearbox on the end of the shaft. Anyone know if you could take off the metal shaft and use the carbon fiber extension as a shaft instead to save some weight?No, The carbon fiber extension shaft is for the Kombi units ONLY. It can't be mounted in place of a standard gearbox attachment on a trimmer.

dboyd351
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Thnx Rob. Guess I'll save some money and get a workout.:cool2:

Lazer_Z
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Thnx Rob. Guess I'll save some money and get a workout.:cool2:You're welcome, it sucks that you can't do it. The attachments have about 1 or 2" of the shaft sticking out so the connection will mate inside the coupler on the Kombi. That's the only reason why the carbon fiber shaft won't work on a dedicated trimmer or the straight shaft edgers.