PDA

View Full Version : Taking credit cards?

Bella Lawn Care
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
What are you guys doing for credit card payments? I was looking into the iphone merchant swiper.

RandallM
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I've thought about the quickbooks cc option as well. Has a scanner for your smart phone.

blk90s13
03-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Someone I know used PayPal

RidgeRun10
03-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Paypal fees are rediculous and it is inconvienent. I just started using Intuit GoPayment. It is great. No set up fees and no monthly fees if you're not collecting over $1000.00 a month. If it is over $1000.00 a month, then I believe it is $12.99 a month or somewhere around there. Most of my customers prefer cash or check, so the $1000 a month limit works for me for those few who wish to use a credit card. I may bump it up and pay the $12.99 a month if someone wants to put a large landscape or irrigation job on their card. Oh... it also comes with a free credit card reader for your smart phone when you sign up. It is very cheap, but it works. You can purchase one if you want that is a little higher quality. There are transaction fees of course, just like any other merchant account system, but they are fair rates. You'll want the credit card swiper, because it is a lower % transaction fee to swipe a customers card than it is to manually enter their card in. If you have any other questions, fire away. It has worked great for me. Just do a google search of Intuit GoPayment. Cheers! :usflag:

Mountain Peak
03-17-2011, 02:50 PM
That's so funny, I just signed up for the Gopayment this morning. I was looking over the Merchant services from Sams Club and those were good rates, but when you add in the monthly fees it kills you if you're not doing lots of $ with them.

GPDesign1
03-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Just talk to your local bank- they all offer Merchant Services. Fees are insignificant as long as you're physically "swiping" the card.

JFGauvreau
03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I went to my bank to become a merchant to accept VISA and MasterCard, it cost me like 10 bucks a month (I actually didn't use it for the first year, so 120$ dollars lost right there lol) and i'm about to cancel it because VISA and MC takes their "cut" from my services, which is about 3-4% of every sales. Although it does make you look more professional when you accept credit cards, but you still have to pay for that.

C4chris70
03-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm using square. No minimums or maximums and no fees or
ther than the fees for swiping or manual entry. They just dropped the additional .15 fee per transaction. They sent me a free card reader for my android phone as well. So far so good.

MowHouston
03-17-2011, 10:46 PM
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341426
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=337264
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=321597

Found by searching "credit cards" using the search function. This question gets asked about once a week.

More results here: http://lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=5834037

RidgeRun10
03-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

RidgeRun10
03-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm not too sure about Square. I did look into that as well. No physical address? No customer support number? Amounts over $1000 get held for 30 days? Eh, no thanks. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Cajun Cleanin'
03-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Just signed up for intuit's gopayment service.Haven't tried it yet.

Puddle of Oil
03-18-2011, 03:05 AM
i have paypal set up on my website with NO MONTHLY FEES! 2.9% plus .30 per transaction. working great so far.

MowHouston
03-18-2011, 10:22 AM
i have paypal set up on my website with NO MONTHLY FEES! 2.9% plus .30 per transaction. working great so far.

And any customers that decide to, can chargeback your services. Paypal does not offer seller protection on services.

Not saying that it happens that often, but it does happen. I've heard some horror stories of people charging back as much as $5,000 for landscaping services.

LandscapePayments.com
03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Hello Bella Lawn Care,

Check out www.landscapepayments.com. We offer you an online payment solution so you can accept credit cards from your clients.

The services such as SquareUp and Intuit's GoPayments are great services for completely mobile companies that can receive payments immediately after you complete your service. However, there are probably more times than not where your clients are not home. To manually key in a transaction will cost you more per transaction plus your time.

We can also offer you a solution with no monthly fee.

If interested in signing up use promo code lawnsite2011 to sign up for only $39 (that's 50% off our normal price).

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Dotens
03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
There's no way my customers would pay a 3% convenience fee on top of their invoice. Just wouldn't happen.

Puddle of Oil
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
And any customers that decide to, can chargeback your services. Paypal does not offer seller protection on services.

Not saying that it happens that often, but it does happen. I've heard some horror stories of people charging back as much as $5,000 for landscaping services.

O ya I'm well aware of that. I have buddy who's fighting papal right now, and may file a lawsuit soon. But I thought id try it anyway, lol.

LandscapePayments.com
03-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Dotens,

Thank you for the input, we do appreciate it. So is it safe to assume you have asked all of your clients if they would like that option, or are you making the decision for them?

If your clients collectively agree they do not want to pay a convenience fee then I applaud you for having great customer service and being proactive in finding out what your clients want and how you can continue to be a progressive business.

Have your clients ever bought concert tickets through ticketmaster, or taken out money from an ATM? Those convenience fees are astronomical compared to our product.

Please remember that our service was established primarily for the lawn and landscape pro to help you get your money faster and help streamline your record keeping. You can provide your clients the option, and if they don't use the service it costs you nothing.

tradeyouraccounts
03-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Just signed up to use square but when you except payment via a credit card do you normally add the processing fee to the total bill so the customer pays it or do you take the hit?

poolboy
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought it was illegal to charge more for someone using a credit card than one paying with check/cash?

Dotens
03-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Dotens,

Thank you for the input, we do appreciate it. So is it safe to assume you have asked all of your clients if they would like that option, or are you making the decision for them?

If your clients collectively agree they do not want to pay a convenience fee then I applaud you for having great customer service and being proactive in finding out what your clients want and how you can continue to be a progressive business.

Have your clients ever bought concert tickets through ticketmaster, or taken out money from an ATM? Those convenience fees are astronomical compared to our product.

Please remember that our service was established primarily for the lawn and landscape pro to help you get your money faster and help streamline your record keeping. You can provide your clients the option, and if they don't use the service it costs you nothing.

I know in this economy my customers would not pay the fee. I wouldn't ask them too. It would be as if i was nickle and dimeing them. When they pay for gas, groceries, stuff on amazon, etc they don't pay a convenience fee so why would they for lawn care? I realize we have to pay fees to accept CC and I accept the fact that its expensive. I absorb these costs to make cash flow a bit easier for me and to give my customers payment options. I just could not justify having them pay 3 percent on top of their invoice.
I'm not trying to put your company down in any way. I think its a good idea, I just don't agree with charging the 3 percent on the back end to the customer. It may work for some and that's great but its not for me and my customers the way you have it now. Good luck with your company. I wish you the best of luck.

LandscapePayments.com
03-18-2011, 07:47 PM
There is no Federal law on that prohibits you from adding a surcharge to cover the cost of the transaction fee. However, there are states that have laws against surcharges (CA, CO, CT, FL, KS, MA, ME, NY, OK, and TX).

Visa and MasterCard prohibit them, but Discover allows surcharges on credit card purchases, except in the above states. So through your merchant account you are not allowed to charge extra for the transaction fee.

You are allowed to charge a convenience fee if you meet the following rules:

For merchant who offer an alternative payment channel (i.e., mail, telephone, or e-commerce) for customers to pay for goods or services, a convenience fee may be added to the transaction amount. If the merchant chooses to asses a convenience fee to its customers, the merchant must adhere to the following rules:

The fee is being charged for a bona fide convenience of using an alternate payment channel outside of the merchant's normal business practice

The Fee:
-Must be disclosed to customers as a charge for alternate payment channel convenience.
-Is applied only to non face-to-face transactions.
-Must be a flat or fixed amount regardless of the amount of payment due
-Is included as part of the total transaction
-Cannot be added to recurring transactions
-Is assessed by the merchant that provides goods and services to the cardholder and not by a third party
-The customer must be given the opportunity to cancel prior to the completion of the transaction

Hope it helped.

JFGauvreau
03-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Just signed up to use square but when you except payment via a credit card do you normally add the processing fee to the total bill so the customer pays it or do you take the hit?

Never. It's only good for consumers, when a business accepts credit cards, its good for them because it provides them with more payment options rather than cheque or cash. It's also good for business since they might get new customers with new ways to pays, but you also have to take the hit to pay the monthly fees + transaction fees.

Transaction fees might not seem a lot for you, 2-3% per transaction. But just imagine a company like wal-mart for example. 3% of a 500,000$ gross sales of credit cards in a month is an extra 15,000$+ that they have to pay lol

LandscapePayments.com
03-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Thank you Dotens. We appreciate the well wishes.

I can appreciate how you feel about the convenience fees in this economy. What we are trying to do is keep your costs to the absolute minimum and that is why we pass these costs along to your client.

There is a reason your clients hire you to perform the services you offer. In many situations it is simply to save time. If this economy is hurting your clients enough financially, so as to not pay a convenience fee to save time, then there is the possibility they can not afford your service as well. And that is why many companies are experiencing delayed payments, causing you to spend additional money trying to collect on them. Giving your clients the option to use their credit card allows them to finance your services on their terms, or simply allows you to receive your money without having to stop their service, or pursue collection methods.

Thanks again and we hope you have a successful season.

TSB group
03-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Thank you Dotens. We appreciate the well wishes.

I can appreciate how you feel about the convenience fees in this economy. What we are trying to do is keep your costs to the absolute minimum and that is why we pass these costs along to your client.

There is a reason your clients hire you to perform the services you offer. In many situations it is simply to save time. If this economy is hurting your clients enough financially, so as to not pay a convenience fee to save time, then there is the possibility they can not afford your service as well. And that is why many companies are experiencing delayed payments, causing you to spend additional money trying to collect on them. Giving your clients the option to use their credit card allows them to finance your services on their terms, or simply allows you to receive your money without having to stop their service, or pursue collection methods.

Thanks again and we hope you have a successful season.

Wait....are you trying to say people don't pay their landscapers on time? HAHAHAHA, this never happens!

Do you guys have an option that does not pass any extra fees on to the consumer, and just leaves them with the landscaper? I would be interested in something like that.

LandscapePayments.com
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Hello TSB Group,

We do not have an option of passing on the fees to the landscaper. We are trying to keep your fees to an absolute minimum.

We understand how some landscape companies feel about additional fees being passed on to their clients, and that this service is not for everyone. However, there has been studies performed, both internally and externally, proving customers are willing to pay these for the convenience of paying online. Which in turn means you get paid faster. 74% of all U.S. households with a computer pay their bills online. LandscapePayments is giving you the ability to capitalize on this and receive your payments without having to wait or pursue collections.

This service was established for the benefit of landscape pros. We are trying to save you time and money. Even though your clients benefit as well, if they do not use the service it doesn't cost you anything.

williamslawn
03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
https://squareup.com/

Seems interesting and legit. 2.75% per transaction and no monthly fees.

WreckRman2
03-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I've used Intuit's Go Payment for 2 years... works great plus I have a nice bluetooth credit card swiper/printer that prints a nice receipt.

nightshutter
04-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Hello TSB Group,

We do not have an option of passing on the fees to the landscaper. We are trying to keep your fees to an absolute minimum.

We understand how some landscape companies feel about additional fees being passed on to their clients, and that this service is not for everyone. However, there has been studies performed, both internally and externally, proving customers are willing to pay these for the convenience of paying online. Which in turn means you get paid faster. 74% of all U.S. households with a computer pay their bills online. LandscapePayments is giving you the ability to capitalize on this and receive your payments without having to wait or pursue collections.

This service was established for the benefit of landscape pros. We are trying to save you time and money. Even though your clients benefit as well, if they do not use the service it doesn't cost you anything.

I was getting load of sand last week and gave them my credit card. The lady told me that there would be a 3% processing fee if i used my card. Hell no! I wrote a check. Myself being on the consumer end, wont pay it. Im sure my customers say "is This guy out of his mind"!! :hammerhead:

no pun intended. Just sharing my experience from the other end. :)

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
05-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I just signed up for square. I'm going to try it out with my own personal cards to see how it works before we implement using in conjunction with our customers. It beats our old merchant account.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Comparing the sign up time and application processing time with my old merhant account (1 Week) to square up....

I was accepting payments in 5 minutes. It makes deposits every night vs weekly for our old account.

So far it's pretty awesome. I'd suggest some of you try it. We will continue to accept checks, but for the one time customer or the customer that asks do you accept credit cards? You can say, Yes we sure do!

Will P.C.
05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
I understand what landscapepayments has set up. As a consumer, I would have no problem using it for anything under 100 dollars.

It gets complicated over 100 dollars. I use AMEX and take advantage of their rewards programs. I would like to put large amounts of money on my AMEX, but would not use landscapepayments.

Landscapepayments,

What happens if a customer does a chargeback?

It seems that 9.95 monthly is not much of a choice for guys who keep excellent records. Is their no other way to download it to Quickbooks or any other financial software for free? Have you though about removing this fee?

LogansLawnCare
02-16-2014, 09:00 PM
I was just researching this topic and found out that you can set-up recurring charges on GoPayment. It'll even notify the customer each time and create invoices (if you want) in QuickBooks.

Locqus
02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Locqus has the exact same rates as Square and offers free field service management with it. :) Def. worth a look. Run it through Shamrock, but then again, that was sort of a give in.