PDA

View Full Version : Pine needles

Bunton Guy
09-20-2002, 11:06 PM
For us guys in the south....on every pine neele job I tuck and roll the eges. Most of the time I cant get my edges as tight of a roll as I would like for the most part I have seen many other Lco's pine needle jobs and they can get a better tighter tuck than mine. And it seems that every week i come back to those properties that I have recently needled and the rolls have come undone. What gives also I dont use long needle bails I cant seem to find them when i need them. What is your methods to tucking your pine needles? I pine needle out a little further than needed and then take the plower and blow on a angle which rolls them till they get to the right area. If needed I will hand work some of the bad areas.

greenman
09-21-2002, 01:37 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.:confused:

CSRA Landscaping
09-22-2002, 03:13 PM
I'm gonna say that the guys that are getting the tight rolls are probably doing it by hand. I just recently ran into rolling the straw myself and haven't yet had a chance to do it. I think I'll add that into any straw jobs that I get from now on, though.

Bunton Guy
09-22-2002, 03:39 PM
You got to admit it looks cleaner when you roll and tuck those edges then the guys who just drop them down on the ground.

CSRA Landscaping
09-22-2002, 09:37 PM
Sure it does. That's why we're going to start doing that. ;)

Tim Canavan
09-23-2002, 02:12 AM
You guys put pine needles in the beds. In Houston, everybody wants them bagged up and thrown away. There are a few people who like them around their azaleas, and still those who just have a ton of pine trees, but for the most part it's just garbage.

KerryB
09-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Its hard to get a tight roll with short leaf pine straw. The long leaf is much easier and stays put. But no matter which one you use you have to do it by hand blowing it just doesnt make a tight roll.

George777
09-25-2002, 08:54 PM
I like to edge the bed with a trimmer then I simply put out the straw and then use the tool and tuck along the edge. The tool looks lihe a a small square shovel with a long handle on it. Make sure the edge is below the concrete.

thfireman
09-25-2002, 11:14 PM
I use the blower and hold it pointed at a sharp angle against the edge of the beds. I use low speed on blower, just enough to cause the needles to lift then they tuck under the edge. Makes a nice roll along edges and stays put a couple weeks. I touch it up once and a while.
:)

Grasshog
09-26-2002, 02:50 AM
Bunton Guy. best place in or area to get needles.( Long Leaf) is Bingham"s. You will find them in Rock Hill, Cherry RD
If you just need a few hundered, best bet is too pick them up yourself.. They deliver but it"s by tractor trailer and you unload them. They also carry GA. slash too.
You will need to install them a little thick around the edge and come out about a foot past your bed. Rolling by rake and hand is the best way. The quickest is by blower. If you do it with the blower you will need to go over it again in about two weeks. Where the needles make contact with a non turf surface (sidewalk, road, gravel path etc ) its best to use a flat blade shovel and sink them in the ground. I will be doing a few hundred in Glen Eagles the first of Nov. if you want to lend a helping hand. Long leaf you put out once a year. They hold their color well. Short needles ( slash) you have to do twice a year. They dont hold color very long.
Long Leaf needles come from NC trees. Short come from Ga.
Good Luck. See ya at the Exxon. Prov & Fairview. best hot dogs in town

Bunton Guy
09-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Making pine needles look good is like a art. I think the reason mine dont look 100% is I use slash . I cant ever find anybody selling the long needle when I need it. Well its raining like crazy rite now so I cant do any work. BUT plenty of time to think about work ! Off to run arrons since nothing can be mowed in this heavy rain.:cry:

greenman
09-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Never heard of using pine needles around here for bedding/mulch. Its just a nuisance around here, just like leaves. I wish I could cut down every pine on my props. They just wont mulch(they just lay there). I don't bag, unless I have to use my 21". So ,I have to rake pine needles.:mad: