PDA

View Full Version : Thining out woods to plant some grass...

shelbymustang616
03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I looked at a job today where a potential client asked about her backyard. We walked back and she showed me her neighbors yard. They had some of the woods thinned out trees no bigger than 4 inch caliper and had grass planted. Im pretty confident about the job but i figure I could thin out some tree to let some light in, remove the stumps and other junk. Once its all cleaned out to prevent new unwanted growth is there anything i can do to prevent that, or should i throw down a layer of topsoil, fertilizer and seed it, any suggestions?

Smallaxe
03-17-2011, 10:59 PM
It depends a lot on what is growing there now and how much wild weed pressure exists... I would thin and clean up this year and watch it throughout the summer and seed in the fall... Fall is best anyways... :)

shelbymustang616
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
It depends a lot on what is growing there now and how much wild weed pressure exists... I would thin and clean up this year and watch it throughout the summer and seed in the fall... Fall is best anyways... :)

Hey Thanks for the reply, good stuff to know, think I could suggest laying sod?
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-18-2011, 04:10 AM
Hey Thanks for the reply, good stuff to know, think I could suggest laying sod?
Posted via Mobile Device

The area would have to be clean, loose soil with enough sun... :)

dandd75
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Also Turf Type Tall fescue does the best in shade.

shelbymustang616
03-18-2011, 09:52 PM
ok good to know. Should i till the soil or just bring new soil in?

Smallaxe
03-19-2011, 07:35 AM
If tilling means , busting up a lot of tree roots of living trees then I personally would not till. Those roots would need to be removed. The trees that are still left alive should not have their crowns buried in dirt, but a couple inches over the area should'nt hurt anything... If you could put down straight compost, that would be your best case scenario...

shelbymustang616
03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I figured putting down an inch or 2 of soil, seeding and starter fertilizer then straw. Does anyone have other suggestions or seed they have had good experience with.

Smallaxe
03-21-2011, 09:18 PM
An inch or 2 of good soil is probably adequate... Just don't go wild with ferts and water if there are a number of trees around...

And mulch mowing is most important in a forestted area... It creates a micro-eco-system that the trees do not allow... :)

shelbymustang616
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
mulch mowing?

Smallaxe
03-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Mulch mowing , means mowing the clippings back to the soil rather than bagging and removing them...