PDA

View Full Version : Open Ground

Smallaxe
03-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Finally back to work doing Spring clean up. I'm finding a lot of bark this year along with leaves, pine cones, acorns and branches. The ground is still frozen, but the surface of the grass is thawed.

Is it a common practice for other LCOs to go over the lawn in the springtime with a blower? or do most just wait for the first mowing and bag up any residue from winter?

93Chevy
03-18-2011, 06:34 AM
We've been blowing/raking debris-covered areas around beds, buildings, etc. The open ground gets left alone unless there is a mass of debris. Sticks get picked up as needed. It's kind of a judgement call in my opinion...is the account paying enough to cover your extra time needed to blow the large open areas again, or is it a little less "mint" account where nobody's going to complain about some oak leaves that fell over winter for another month until mowing begins?

Smallaxe
03-18-2011, 07:40 AM
We've been blowing/raking debris-covered areas around beds, buildings, etc. The open ground gets left alone unless there is a mass of debris. Sticks get picked up as needed. It's kind of a judgement call in my opinion...is the account paying enough to cover your extra time needed to blow the large open areas again, or is it a little less "mint" account where nobody's going to complain about some oak leaves that fell over winter for another month until mowing begins?

Oh yeah, I get paid for the additional time.

My concern is that debri under the snow for all that time really glues it to the ground, and if left too long, it could suffocate the grass and leave dead spots in the turf...