PDA

View Full Version : fixing lawn damaged from plowing

psdnate
03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm biding on an apartment complex and the guy who plowed it dug up the lawn at spots and used a skid loader to do the sidewalks and made ruts. What's the best way to go about fixing this? Fill in the ruts with topsoil and plant grass? Sorry no pics

McG_Landscaping
03-19-2011, 09:59 PM
First you probably want to rake/shovel back into the holes what you can from where the soil was disrupted. I would use fill dirt (not with large debris in it) but not screened topsoil to first fill in the ruts where the skid steer tore it up, and pack it in to avoid alot of settling later. Then I would use screened topsoil to top it off, rake it out, seed, fert, and mushroom manure to top it off! With water and the right weather you should have grass starting to fill in 2-3 weeks. Hope this helps!

nepatsfan
03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
:hammerhead:The sad part of this is that these are the guys we have to bid against

McG_Landscaping
03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
wait, who was this directed at?

Smallaxe
03-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Filling in ruts created by skidsters, is variable, depending on the soil... If it's sandy, no problem, but it is likely that it has been turned into a highly compacted hardpan right at the surface... Chances are you'll be creating a mud hole...

Dig it up flip it over and rake it smooth. I'd do strips of sod if it is handy in small amounts.... OR fill in the area with 3/4" river rock, and let it be a non issue every spring...