PDA

View Full Version : what up with the backpack blowers?

sirsweatsalot
09-21-2002, 12:34 AM
ok all of you guys with the backpack blowers do you use these things for blowing the grass of side walks after mowing? if you do what wrong with a good old echo pb? do you like loading up with the backpack or something?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-21-2002, 12:39 AM
Don't get what you mean but I try to buy the most powerful with the most CFM, leaves and speed of clearing debris is time, time = money!!!

sirsweatsalot
09-21-2002, 12:40 AM
so you like the power it has then. the point i was trying to figure out is why is the back pack better then the hand held version.

Mow&Snow
09-21-2002, 12:41 AM
Hand held blowers have thier place on the side walk, but there is no substitute for too much power....

sirsweatsalot
09-21-2002, 12:44 AM
so what im hearing is the they are better for like bigger jobs where raking takes to much time. right?

Ryan Lightning
09-21-2002, 12:51 AM
If your looking to spend your $ on a blower for lawn care, just pass on the handheld, and get a backpack blower.

sirsweatsalot
09-21-2002, 12:56 AM
i have a hand held one but i was wondering why the other is better. do all of you just use backpack ones or do you also have hand held ones?

Darryl G
09-21-2002, 01:01 AM
It's nice to be able to stuff a couple of stray leaves in the bushes or blow some grass out of a bed from 25 feet away while doing routine maintenance too! I walk over the whole lawn with my BP blower breaking up any clumps and blowing stray sticks into the woods, etc. and usually have it up to full rpms for at least a moment on every property. In other words, I don't just blow the drive and walks when I do a property. The only reason I'm thinking of buying a handheld is I think they're better for getting leaves out of shrubs, especially next to buildings. Also better for pool areas. It's sometimes impossible to get the air stream where you want it with a BP because you can't stand where you would need to.

sirsweatsalot
09-21-2002, 01:04 AM
thank you.

Cutter1
09-21-2002, 12:19 PM
I use handhelds all summer long, much easier to load and unload. Especially when we are just blowing grass off walks. The back packs just got pulled out this week, getting ready for leaves!!

Floridalandcare
09-21-2002, 03:01 PM
All we use and own is BPs

Jimbo
09-21-2002, 03:08 PM
For the smaller LCO a hand-held might be fine, but after you get a Mall complex or something you might start thinking about carrying the weight on your shoulders all day.

No, most people dont wear them to look cool.

Also, the power of a backpack rivals the hand helds.

Jimbo

gusbuster
09-21-2002, 05:53 PM
bp vs handhelds

Let me say if you can afford both, thats the way to go. Each machine has its place.

Majority use, we'll go bp all the time. Why, I can blow a customer a lot faster with a bp than a hand held. Also, man my arm kills me after using a handheld after 5 minutes use.

For wide open areas, BP is the way to go. Getting debris from out under bushes, cleaning the inside of my cargo area on my truck ect... can't beat the convienece of a hand held.

You will never out perform a BP with a hand held 95% of the time. Also, modern bp blowers are not that much heavier. If your back starts to bug you after 5 minutes use, you're in the wrong trade. I remember back when we use to use Solo blowers. Now those machines weighed a ton.

John

kppurn
09-21-2002, 07:33 PM
I use my br400 backpack blower 100% of the time.
More power= less time
Less time= more money
I use my shindaiwa hand held to blow off the mowers when I return at night.

TurfGuyTX
09-21-2002, 08:52 PM
I haven't used a hand held blower in YEARS. I wouldn't even bother to unless that's all I had. BP's are so much better. More power, larger fuel tanks meaning you can do larger areas without fueling up so often. Good luck.

Turfdude
09-21-2002, 08:53 PM
About the only thing besides carpal tunnel that a hand held blower is good for is gutter cleaning. If you're walking a 6/12 roof, a bp blower can really screw up your center of gravity, and if you're up 2 stories+ and over 200lbs... the bigger you are...

Bob

Nomoslowmow
09-21-2002, 09:18 PM
I agree with the others who use backpack blowers for their power, but another reason is comfort. Once the blower is on your back there is very little effort required to direct the airflow left or right-you are not swinging the weight of the whole blower like on a handheld. The only reason I can see for handheld blower use is if you want to save money as you are just getting started.

My first ever STIHL br 400 is still running (a little weaker) 9 years after I bought it used! It sure looks ugly compared to our new BR 420's.

Bob

greenman
09-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Majority use, we'll go bp all the time. Why, I can blow a customer a lot faster with a bp than a hand held.

I dont blow my customers.:eek:

kppurn
09-21-2002, 11:59 PM
:laugh:

Tim Canavan
09-22-2002, 12:01 AM
I've never even thought of buying a hand held.
Listen to the Godfather: Time is Money.
Wait till you get a large parking lot, then you won't ask why. Don't get me wrong. If it works for you, keep doing it.:cool:

awm
09-22-2002, 12:10 AM
well gonna do it a gain.the craftsman hand held blower 25 cc is able to get the 200mph flow at 400 cfm.i tuned mine up yesterday and its 3 yrs old . it ll do anything i need that i cant do with the mower. again echo or stihl mix an high test.is the thing that turned it around for my 2 cycles. i think enough of it to have a new backup ,incase this one falls off a house or something. it also enables a pretty strong vac job. but this is a bit rough on the nylon fan blades.samething for their 25cc trimmer. 3 yrs old and just tuned up. also got a new one of these for when this one goes. i have bruch cutters for anything other than simple house trim.

geogunn
09-22-2002, 12:16 AM
the question of...

whats up with the back pack blowers when you can use a hand held could be likened to...

why do you need a walkbehind mower when you can always use a pusher.

GEO

LAWNGODFATHER
09-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I bought a few hand helds a few years ago.

1 became a fathersday present.

1 became you're a cool uncle present.

1 became you're a good freind present.

1 became you're a nice neighbor present.

1 became sit at my house collecting dust.

All of them became quit asking to barrow my blower presents.

Hand helds have their place, but shear power outweighs their place.

Time is money, speed makes more money.