PDA

View Full Version : Good entry level mowers

cmos123
03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I currently have about ten accounts, and am getting more every week. I am looking for a inexpensive (not cheap) mower. I have looked at a Worldlawn unit at my local dealer, and I have looked at Quicks online. Does anyone know which one is a better entry level mower? The Worldlawn is less expensive, but it looks it as well. I am looking to get a 32 inch if that matters.

clean_cut
03-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Why would you buy a new junkyish mower when you could buy a used commercial mower for the same price?

If I were you, I would do some research and look for used commercial mowers on craigslist, there have been lots of threads about this topic and I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information.

If I were in your situation, I would buy used off craigslist, you can find walk behinds for under $2,000 easily.

PremierT&L
03-18-2011, 11:35 PM
I currently have about ten accounts, and am getting more every week. I am looking for a inexpensive (not cheap) mower. I have looked at a Worldlawn unit at my local dealer, and I have looked at Quicks online. Does anyone know which one is a better entry level mower? The Worldlawn is less expensive, but it looks it as well. I am looking to get a 32 inch if that matters.

I have 2 Quick 36 mowers and they have worked very well for us. They get mixed reviews in here, but I have had zero problems with mine.

kilgoja
03-19-2011, 12:44 AM
I've never heard of either of those brands...what does that tell you?...they must not be very good

yardguy28
03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
while i've heard of the quick mowers i've never heard of the other brand.

i started out with an exmark 36" metro walkbehind with mulch kit. i didn't have a single client when i purchased that mower. and i purchased it new for $3000. now i realize that was 5 years ago and the prices might have gone up a little but i bet you can still get a decent price on something like that.

i noticed someone suggested looking for a used mower as well. this isn't a bad idea if you don't mind used. i personally don't buy used equipment but i read, hear and see a lot of people that do.

PremierT&L
03-19-2011, 10:24 PM
I've never heard of either of those brands...what does that tell you?...they must not be very good

LOL...I bet there's plenty of good stuff out there you've never heard of.

cmos123
03-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks for some of the info. I am leaning towards the Worldlawn unit at the moment because I can get a 36 inch for a little less than the 32 Quick. Also, there is a local dealer who sales Worldlawn equipment. I only do residential lawns as well, so I think a cheaper unit will hold up just fine. My buddy has a Exmark metro, and I hate it.

yardguy28
03-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks for some of the info. I am leaning towards the Worldlawn unit at the moment because I can get a 36 inch for a little less than the 32 Quick. Also, there is a local dealer who sales Worldlawn equipment. I only do residential lawns as well, so I think a cheaper unit will hold up just fine. My buddy has a Exmark metro, and I hate it.

as do i, but i don't have a single piece of equipment that was cheap or cheaply made.

i only own commercial grade equipment. exmark, toro and stihl. and it's all the commercial grade equipment. even my 21 incher is the commercial version.

to each his own though.

nepatsfan
03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Try Bad Boy, that is an entry level mower.

GMLC
03-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I would stay away from residential mowers. A good entry level commercial mower would be Bad Boy. I think prices start at 2999.99. Also check out Big Dog which was made to compete with Bad Boy and other entry level commercial mowers. I can not comment on the quality because I have not run either but the prices are hard to beat!
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
03-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I would stay away from residential mowers. A good entry level commercial mower would be Bad Boy. I think prices start at 2999.99. Also check out Big Dog which was made to compete with Bad Boy and other entry level commercial mowers. I can not comment on the quality because I have not run either but the prices are hard to beat!
Posted via Mobile Device

The 2999.99 badboy hustler and big dog(all about the same mowers) are residential even with Briggs ELS engines and EZT transmissions. entry level commercial would include the CZT Badboy, Bob-cat Fast cat, and Hustler Fasttrak. I am not sure what the Big Dog calls their version of the FastTrak.

GMLC
03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I thought the 2999.99 sounded to good to be true. They got me on the briggs els and the trans. I think the other models may be out of his price range.
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
03-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I thought the 2999.99 sounded to good to be true. They got me on the briggs els and the trans. I think the other models may be out of his price range.
Posted via Mobile Device

well at least BadBoy and Hustler have other offerings as to engine choice they just add about $300 to the price

rwaters
03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

well at least BadBoy and Hustler have other offerings as to engine choice they just add about $300 to the price

knox gsl
03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Look at buying a commercial Honda, Exmark, or Toro 21" mower to get started and then step up to a 36" hydro unit when you can pay cash for it. This will let you learn the business and your properties before spending alot of money. Unless you already have a trailer and you only plan on staying with residental get a 6*12 trailer, it may seem large at first but you will grow into it, also get it with a sigle 5,200lb axle or a pair of 3,500lb axles. This will come in handy if you do any install work or mulch delivery.

cgaengineer
03-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Whatever you get make sure its a dual hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
03-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Look at buying a commercial Honda, Exmark, or Toro 21" mower to get started and then step up to a 36" hydro unit when you can pay cash for it. This will let you learn the business and your properties before spending alot of money. Unless you already have a trailer and you only plan on staying with residental get a 6*12 trailer, it may seem large at first but you will grow into it, also get it with a sigle 5,200lb axle or a pair of 3,500lb axles. This will come in handy if you do any install work or mulch delivery.

I would buy a larger mower than this for sure unless you are doing the tiniest lawns. You will never make it to the point that you can buy a bigger mower because if you got any 20,000 square foot lawns or even 10,000 square foot(roughly a quarter acre) you will make so little money per hour doing it that you will quit. You cannot be competitive with a 21. I would go with a minimum 36 but I would recommend a 48.

cmos123
03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
It was my understanding that Worldlawn and Quick are commercial units. As far as 21" mowers, commercial mowers are a waste of money. I bought my mower from Sears, and it lasted two years, and I put a new commercial engine on it. The deck is the same as Snapper uses on several of its commercial models, only I spent a fraction of the price. I am just saying that you do not need to go buy the most expensive unit to get a good working product.

cmos123
03-20-2011, 10:23 PM
What is better, A Honda motor or a Kawasaki Kai? I believe they are both 13 hp, and the Honda is electric start as well as pull start, and they are the same price.

houston ranger
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Speaking of worldlawn have u tried their 28 inch mower
Posted via Mobile Device

cmos123
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
I have not. It seems like a strange size, not much more that a 21", and if you are going to get a commercial mower, might as well get at least a 32". Have you used it?

houston ranger
03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
No I haven't but I've seen some LCO that use them instead of the 21. I am also planning on getting one to use it intead of my 21
Posted via Mobile Device

Procareope
03-24-2011, 01:50 AM
The World Lawn units are not by any means your $6,000 dollar commercial hydro walk behinds, but they're not a residential mower. It's a simple design, low 'flare', low tech unit that is easy to use and easy to maintain. The Kawasaki KAI (FH series) is a standard engine on many commercial walk behind (Pro-V, Trimstar, T-2 etc) and is a great motor. I don't know to much about the Quick mower, but none the less I think you'd be happy with a World Lawn. You'll want to upgrade in the future, but it will definitely get you started in the right direction.

Richard Martin
03-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I currently have about ten accounts, and am getting more every week. I am looking for a inexpensive (not cheap) mower. I have looked at a Worldlawn unit at my local dealer, and I have looked at Quicks online

I'd buy the Quick just because it's an American mower. The Worldlawn mowers are manufactured in China and assembled in the US. Worldlawn just bought Encore mowers so they could get the name. It seems like an attempt to deceive people into thinking that it's an American mower from Beatrice Nebraska. The parts will probably still be shipped from China and assembled in the old Encore plant with the Encore name on them.