PDA

View Full Version : ever wondered what the inside of a duramax looks like?

westcoh
03-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Thought you guys might find these pics interesting. I blew a headgasket on my 05 duramax and am in the middle of tearing it apart. Got the heads off today and took some pics. Apparently the star pattern on the top of the pistons is the injector spray pattern. When it goes back together all the emissions junk is coming off. I'll take some pics later showing how much sludge it builds up in the intake manifolds.

bobcat_ron
03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Why is the star pattern darker on some pistons?

westcoh
03-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Why is the star pattern darker on some pistons?

Not really sure, the 2 that have the most prominent star pattern is where the headgasket was blown so maybe that has something to do with it. According to gm the major cause of the star pattern is from adding tuners to the engine, and I've been running a 90hp tune for the last year or so.

DirtMerchant
03-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Not really sure, the 2 that have the most prominent star pattern is where the headgasket was blown so maybe that has something to do with it. According to gm the major cause of the star pattern is from adding tuners to the engine, and I've been running a 90hp tune for the last year or so.

Gm's full of ****. If that's where your headgasket then that's were foreign material was getting into the engine and messing with your combustion leaving residue behind which is what you see. As far as the back two cylinders on both side having some, probably something to do to with the bad air flow, resulting in incomplete/incorrect combustion. They're likely where the egr gets dumped back into. I'm not sure on that motor off the top of my head

White Gardens
03-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Make sure you have the heads inspected before re-installing them.

Friend of mine just had his in the shop with a blown head gasket and they checked the heads and they were warped badly enough that they couldn't be milled to spec.

Ultimately he ended up having to get new heads.

74inchShovel
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Is that an LB7 motor, and I'm curious about how many miles on it

westcoh
03-20-2011, 03:00 PM
No doubt gm is full of ****. Apparently they were using that as an excuse to deny warranty claims. I've seen pics of completely stock engines that have the same star pattern on the pistons.

Taking the heads to a machine shop tomorrow. Hoping they'll have them ready within a few days so I can start putting this this thing back together.

Engine is an lly with about 220,000km on it. Gotta say I feel sorry for anyone who works on these things for a living as there's no room in that engine compartment. Can't imagine what the newer ones are like with even more junk under the hood than mine.

ForestCreekLandscaping
03-20-2011, 11:10 PM
I hope your putting an aftermarket head gasket and arp head studs in...

salopez
03-21-2011, 09:36 PM
just had this re-build done... it was very pricey....but i am very happy with the results.

westcoh
04-01-2011, 02:42 AM
Few more pics: the heads after getting them back from the machine shop, and new headgaskets on.

westcoh
04-01-2011, 02:49 AM
And here's what the emissions junk is doing to diesel engines. Pics of the center intake manifold before and after cleaning. The sludge in there is almost like tar and courtesy of the egr and pcv. In one of my previous pics you can see the new lb7 up-pipe I put in, so no more egr for me.

meets1
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I can't beleive that sludge picture. i am on my second d-max - I have a 2011 now but I never had issues but I also never had that many miles on an engine. Your doing this work yourself I assume?

westcoh
04-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Yeah, done everything myself so far other than having the heads done at a machine shop. Time consuming job. Hoping to fire it up on Monday and pray everything works. . .

curtisfarmer
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
You are a better man than me, I look at my F450 6.4 and it looks like a rocket ship motor that would need to go to NASA for repairs. Seems like such a huge task. Great pics.:waving:

ProTouch Groundscapes
04-03-2011, 06:29 PM
good thing your saying bye bye to that egr. just got the sinister egr delete kit with new up pipe for our 6.0L this week. shes going into the shop for a bulletproofing.

egr delete kit
head studs + decking the heads
steam cleaning the intake manifold

already has a 4" dp with cat delete
and the livewire is coming this week as well

my 6.4's dpg/doc delete pipe, afe drop in filter and livewire is coming this week as well.

emissions what??

westcoh
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Well, it's alive! Glad it's done and sure hope I never have to do that again.

Short video of starting it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOLndRIDyg

westcoh
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
How much are they charging to do headstuds? I'd be curious to see what the insides of the intake manifold looks like on your 6.0.

good thing your saying bye bye to that egr. just got the sinister egr delete kit with new up pipe for our 6.0L this week. shes going into the shop for a bulletproofing.

egr delete kit
head studs + decking the heads
steam cleaning the intake manifold

already has a 4" dp with cat delete
and the livewire is coming this week as well

my 6.4's dpg/doc delete pipe, afe drop in filter and livewire is coming this week as well.

emissions what??