PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

njyamahauler
09-21-2002, 10:52 AM
I'm looking to buy a 36" cut walkbehind mower. I've checked the dealers in my immediate area and there is a Ransome Bob Cat dealer and a John Deere dealer. There is an Exmark dealer, but he is a little too far away. I should probably go with the Bob Cat or the JD. Any suggestions or experiences with either one? Thanks.

CMerLand
09-21-2002, 11:22 AM
I used bobcats since I got in this business in 90 and have had veryyyyy little ever go wrong with them. Very durable and reliable with no major mechanical downtime on the machines other then wear item, such as tires and belts.

I recently just sold my oldest bobcat that was in semi retirement for the past couple of years. Now that I have a toro Z and a walker, my bobcats are on standby but will get up and go to work tommorrow if need be.

Parts, belts and blades if needed are very easy to find in mail order catalogs.

Why are you getting the 36" tho? Much more productivity can be gained out of a 48 unless you cut primarily smaller properties.

Where in NJ are you located?

njyamahauler
09-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info CMerLand. I live in Burlington County and I do cut mostly smaller properties. Gates are also an issue. So far, I have heard nothing but good things about the Bob Cat. The only major difference that I can see between the JD and the Bob cat is the engine. The Kawasaki vs. the Kohler. Both are priced about the same.

Scag48
09-21-2002, 01:41 PM
You should give the Exmark dealer a look, even if it is farther away. They are awesome mowers. I bought a Turf Tracer HP 36" about 3 weeks ago and love it. Best purchase I've ever made. Go with Exmark, you won't be dissapointed.

Ax Man
09-21-2002, 06:14 PM
I'd go Bobcat. I have run them for over 15 years and when something wears out it is just that.
Not broken, worn. I'd also go 48 and work on customers gates this winter. Sell them the advantage of the easier access, getting things in and out of the back yard Blah blah, till they agree to pay to do it.
The most expensive part is the gate.
JMHO
Good luck!

Gtotoy
09-21-2002, 06:49 PM
bobcat is all we have ever ran,, simply the best

Miller Mowing
09-22-2002, 05:00 AM
Personally, I would recommend Dixon! I have 3 Dixons, and have been very pleased with them. Dixon Mowers = Dependable and trouble free mowing! Nothing else to say.

CMerLand
09-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Gotta love so much of the worthless advise that people are willing to give to someone that asks a simple enough question on here.

The man clearly explains that he has a JD, Bobcat and exmark dealer in his area, yet someone chimes in with Dixon to help validate his own purchase. Have never seen a dixon mower in this whole state in the 20 years in the field but hey thanks for throwing that out there.

And then Scag 48 chimes in that he got his exmark 3 weeks ago and amazingly its performed GREATTTT. Well after three weeks of flawless performance heck Im gonna run out and get one right now.

Seriously, njhauler, satisfaction with your dealer will go much further down the road then the specific machine you buy. Be it the exmark whos a little further away or the JD or Bobcat, each machine will at some point have something go down on it, and your dealer will be your new best friend if he has the parts and service knowhow to get you back to work in short order.

ceaman
09-22-2002, 02:13 PM
I have a Exmark metro 36. I have put 150 hours on it this season. I absolutely love my exmark!

I just purchaced my first ZTR yesterday; Exmark hp 52" 23 Kawasaki.

My local dealer treated me wrong on the last service and now on the last chance to sell. I found a new dealer for exmark! I can drive 45 min and guaranteed a fix or a loaner. Compared to the local dealer who held me up in the service department for 5 days for a warranty issue that took 1 hr to fix.

HacMan91
09-22-2002, 02:15 PM
I agree with CMerland. You obviously know which mowers are in your area. Ask some of the other companies what their experiences have been with the dealers in your area. If it takes you 2 weeks to get a mower back with one dealer and 2 days with another, theres your answer.

Sean Adams
09-22-2002, 05:41 PM
I'm not commenting on mower brands - good or bad, but I think someone mentioned the dealer itself. The relationship you can develop with the dealer may outweigh your need or desire for a particular machine. A great dealer offering service, advice, etc... with a good machine is my choice over a dealer with a superior machine who tries to get you in and out the door as soon as possible - as long as you are buying. Just something to think about....

Flex-Deck
09-23-2002, 08:57 PM
njyamahauler - a 36" WB soulds like it would be a good choice for you. Gated properties sometimes dictate the mower purchased.

There are a lot of good mowers out there - pick a dealer that will take care of you first (just my opinion)

Purchase the mower that will do the job for you - and then if you want a situation where you can get thru gates, then have a wider mower, you may want to consider adding the Flex-Deck-it adds 18" of mowing width, but only 2 inches when folded up to get thru gates - if that is too much, it can be taken off in 20-30 seconds, and reinstalled in 20-30 seconds to get thru the gates.

http://36X

SCAPEASAURUSREX
09-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Hey , I didnt know that flex deck could be used with a walk behind ? never really thought of it I guess, but that s a great solution.. How about a 32" w/b with the 18" flex deck, So you get a 50" deck for productivity and still can get through tight gates ! I want one now !....

Definatly the relationship with your dealer is improtant, and also creating and estiablishing alternate relationships with other dealers so you always have a backup... never have enough dealers...

I am surprised that you havent found a SCAG dealer or a Lesco in your area .. They are worth looking at tooo.. Most machine s are verysimilar, but may hae diff operating controls , so one may be more comfortable that another for you .... Who knows, maybe if your interested in a Dixon you could call them and find out that there is a dealer near by , you never know, My local dealer dos not even know half the things he has access to... most deal through a disributer who carries most brands, or a large variety of brands... Cause you dont see it dont mean its not available locally.... Do some research...

rvsuper
09-23-2002, 09:16 PM
Personally, I would recommend Dixon!

Do you have the home owner quality Dixions, or the commercial Quality Dixions? I have a friend who has a dixion and says that I should try one out sometime.

Flex-Deck
09-23-2002, 09:26 PM
scapeesaurusrex (probably misspelled) - Yes, I will go on a 32 also. It should be an awesome machine -

http://36X

Here is what happens if the grass gets too tall for the wider deck we make you - you use the inside 36" for mowing, and let the right main deck blade do nothing but disperse grass, run it where you have already mowed. This solves power requirements in the grass gets away from you, and it also allows the mower to do a better job dispersing the clippings.

Thanks, Brad

Darryl G
09-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Brad - Now that you've had some time to get used to it, how do you like the ECS on your new Exmark? I think it's great. Haven't smashed my knuckles into a tree once!

Flex-Deck
09-23-2002, 09:36 PM
darryl - I am a tractor runner first of all, but am getting used to the controls - I have a video of that 36" eXmark with the Flex-Deck doing a ditch soooooo steep, it would blow your mind - the added weight and low center of gravity makes that thing a hill climber.

Yes, the controls are quick which takes some getting used to but they are great.

Thanks, Brad

MikeLT1Z28
09-23-2002, 10:50 PM
i have an exmark 36" metro with the micro mulch kit. you'll like it, gets thru 99% of most gates and gives an awesome cut.

dealer service is the key though.

wanna know which you should really get? demo, demo, demo

TLS
09-23-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SCAPEASAURUSREX
Hey , I didnt know that flex deck could be used with a walk behind ?

Where have you BEEN SCAPE?

Does your type "SCAPEASAURUSREX" bury your head in the sand over in Jerzee?

Flex has been quite aggressive with advertising lately. How'd ya miss that?

SCAPEASAURUSREX
09-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Naw, TLS, here in jerzy we bury our heads somewhere else, much darker ! LOL...

No just never paid much attention the the flex a ma jiggy....But now it's caught my attention...