PDA

View Full Version : Propane Weed Trimmer and MTD Pro

GrassesGuy
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Anyone ever heard of these. I was at Menards today and saw this propane weed trimmer. I picked it up and it seemed heavy and even had a strap attatched to it for your shoulder. Anyone ever heard of MTD Pro and or propane weed wackers? Are they any good or junk.

wvaughn7
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Ok so the propane weedeater just seems unlogical. I have never seen one, nor heard of one. On the other hand MTD Pro is what all of our equipment is. We have the MMZ2554 which is a 54" zero turn with the 25hp Kohler engine. It is a well built machine, and is the same thing as a cub cadet tank essentially. We also have the 1448g which is a 48" gear drive walk behind. It has a 14hp Kawasaki engine on it which has been indestructble. Overall both are great machines that are very easy to work on a find parts. My dad had an MTD Pro tractor style mower that he purchased in 82 and we just sold it yesterday and have never done anything but sharpen blades and change oil etc.

GrassesGuy
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Ok so the propane weedeater just seems unlogical. I have never seen one, nor heard of one. On the other hand MTD Pro is what all of our equipment is. We have the MMZ2554 which is a 54" zero turn with the 25hp Kohler engine. It is a well built machine, and is the same thing as a cub cadet tank essentially. We also have the 1448g which is a 48" gear drive walk behind. It has a 14hp Kawasaki engine on it which has been indestructble. Overall both are great machines that are very easy to work on a find parts. My dad had an MTD Pro tractor style mower that he purchased in 82 and we just sold it yesterday and have never done anything but sharpen blades and change oil etc.

Well they definately exsist. Do you have any experiance with the MTD PRO weed wacker gas powered?

wvaughn7
03-19-2011, 09:41 PM
No I do not, we run all Echo handhelds. As far as handheld stuff goes I would probably just stay with a major brand like Echo, Stihl, Red Max, etc. The mowers are very good though and I would recommend testing one out if you are interested.

GrassesGuy
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
No I do not, we run all Echo handhelds. As far as handheld stuff goes I would probably just stay with a major brand like Echo, Stihl, Red Max, etc. The mowers are very good though and I would recommend testing one out if you are interested.

Yeah they have a 21" MTD Pro with a swivel tires in the front and a kohler engine. Seemed like it was built well and it was around $400, so not to bad on price either. I'm actually in the market for a small 21" commercial mower. I currently have lawn boys with commercial engines that never diem but other parts are deteriating after 10 years.

GrassesGuy
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I wonder how much fuel they consume and is it cost effective. The weight factor detours me though.

Alan0354
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
http://www.consumersearch.com/string-trimmer-reviews/propane-trimmers

GrassesGuy
03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.consumersearch.com/string-trimmer-reviews/propane-trimmers

Nice link. 2-5 dollars per canister for two hours of trimming sounds high. I mean filling up my gas one costs like 33 cents. i think I will pass.

unit28
03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
sounds high?
hmmmm.

2 hours a can, so you need 20 cans for 40 hours
you can buy bulk packs of 4cans for $11 at any camping store
20 cans would be.....$$$to high.

dboyd351
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
The article says those cans can't be refilled, but they make an adaptor to re-fill those cans from larger propane tanks. I believe it is legal to do so if you don't sell the re-filled canisters. That could make a substantial difference in the cost of fuel fo rthese trimmers.